2011-10-16 15:47:30

hi,
this about  operating systems
it had me laughing so hard
so check this out
http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_os.shtml

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-10-16 16:40:10

LOL. It's werth a laugh for shure. That is why I don't recamand a computer to just about anyone. Some of those probems are avoided on the IPAD because you can't touch the file system unless you jail break it, but I can see where some would even have trouble with that.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-10-22 14:03:03

hi,
here are more computer stupidities
not just operating systems, many catagories
http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-10-23 13:50:09

Though one could argue that most of this stuff took place in a time where people were just starting to figure out that such things as computers existed and that their kids and friend's kids played games on them, I can't tell you how many times I've encountered infuriating senarios of my own which make me question all over again just how many people should actually have computers.  They have no logic other than the logic that was programmed into them.  They are not sensible, they could care less for your emotions, and most importantly, I think, it si a responsibility that like any other responsibility requires effort on your part.

Perhaps one of the saddest things I see today is the number of people who can't hit up google with a simple search query.  I'm sure a few of you know the group I'm talking about: "Do you have x&x coppy of y&y software?"  If you're anything like me, you usually only keep coppies of software that were exceptionally hard to find to save some space on your computer over no space at all.  If software is free and easily accessible to you, chances are you will not keep that installer lying around.  You click on the direct link, hit alt ar to run the installer, and never worry about it again until you need to update the software and that update requires an installer.  When this group of people, however, are told that the software they are looking for is free, they insist on you still doing the legwork they could just as easily do if they truly wanted the thing.  They won't touch google; they won't navigate a webpage to find a download link.  Nowadays, that same group of people have actually taken to rephrasing questions and asking them in a different order to see if they can catch me off guard and  take advantage of the fact that I will usually take time out of my life to do something so simple that it would probably only take them a couple of minutes to do.  Where before they would ask me if I had a coppy of said software stored on my computer, now they will ask me if I can get them said software.
Social engineering at its worst!

Another group that angers me to some extent is the one which contains people that want software that provides vast amounts of flexibility and functionality, but who couldn't be bothered with taking a little poke around in their options menu, because, you know, flexible and highly functioning software should be perfectly set up for them fresh out of the install.  it should do everything the way they want it to; no learning what this button and that button do for me!  Though quite a few companies and developers have included fairly good guidance wizards that will configure many aspects of such software, they always leave out something which is reserved for advanced or power users of the software which, they feel, will be confident enough to change or experiment with such settings when they have, you know, uh, "LEARNED!" The software.

Example: a guy who generally comes to me when anything is not workgint to his liking on his computer wants to be able to use foobar as I use it with as little effort as possible.  In an atempt to give him a great experience that I figured would be easy enough to get used to, I provided him with the foobar installer, which he could have gotten from google, and my own configuration for foobar, which I give freely. (Feel free to contact me for more details.)  What my configuration does not encompass, however, is foobar's ability to convert files from one audio format to another.  When asked if I used this feature, I replied in all honesty that I did in fact use it regularly but that it did take a  bit of poking around at times to get it to work.  I'm fairly sure a few of you can guess where things go from there.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I love to help!  I love to ensure that those who don't know something leave my presence with the knowledge they were seeking!  But when you cannot be bothered with putting in your part and  using some effort, why should I!

Rant over!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-10-23 14:52:06

I have to agree with you Nocturnus. Computers have gotten alot easyer to use now days. You don't have to insert a disk to boot, you don't have to use the command line if you don't want to, and etc. Alot of the traps that some people fall in to are those that are socially contrived to trick. I think the Ipad is suppose to be the computer for the masses, but rather or not that is the case...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-10-23 16:03:35

Nocturnus, I totally agree as well!  You have no idea how tempted I was to respond to your message with "Foobar?  Where can I download that?" just to see if you would hunt down the link for me before realizing I was just trying to get you to do that simple leg work for me.  Hehe.  It would have demonstrated your point quite well actually.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software