2011-09-30 14:35:09

hello,

I am just about to begin a university module in programming and we can choose from JAVA or c++. From previous comments and advice, iwas told that c++ is much more accessible in the long run. However, i have never done programming in c++. I have done a bit of programming in java and visual basic.

I am not sure whether i have done the write thing but i have installed full visual studio 2010 premium onto my system and running jaws 12 and 13. But i don't know where to begin programming with visual studio? Could someone please direct me to a tutorial where i can learn c++ and also how to use visual studio 2010. If visual studio is not accessible, then could you please advise me on other solutions that i could use? I am going to be working within a group so would like to use something that i can pass around.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

2011-09-30 18:38:55

Hi,
I'mnot sure about Visual Studio 2010. I've heared that Visual STudiio 2008 is accessible, but I've heard the oposite for 2010.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-09-30 19:53:51

Hello,

I am not a programmer, but I have listened to a podcast of Freedom Scientific that was discussing how accessible Visual Studio with JAWS 12 is. Therefore I have downloaded a demo of Visual Studio 2010 and found it accessible, too.

As far as C++ goes:

1. Open up an instance of Visual Studio 2010.

2. The start page should be opened. If not, open the 'View' menu and choose 'Start Page' there.

3. Make sure that the 'Get Started' tab is selected.

4. Keep navigating with your TAB key until you will encounter a button labeled 'Learn Visual C++' there.

Hope this helps.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-10-01 18:44:45

If you are used to Java, might as well use it. This way you don't have a huge learning curve while trying to do university coursework at the same time. C++ is quite different from Java. One minor but syntactical difference, for instance, is that C++ uses a :: and -> operator for object qualifiers instead of the dot operator.

Concerning accessibility: From personal experience I have never had any problems with Eclipse as my IDE of choice for Java development. Visual Studio 2010 is also about 75% accessible, but there is a slight issue with Window-Eyes specifically and the IntelliSense Auto Complete feature. The problem poses only a minor annoyance and is workable, however. There are other slight but annoying issues I find with Visual Studio 2010, but it will definitely work quite well with your screen reader.

What course are you starting? Let me know and I can give you better advice based on general coursework you will have to most likely do.

2011-10-02 19:03:55

Hello,

Thank you for the information. I am not an advanced JAVA programmer but i want to become  professional in c++. I am in my second year of BSC Software Engineering. I have been recommended a book for learning c++ however, it seems to be related to games development and makes use of some other libraries. I have not yet read through many chapters, however the hello world script seemed to be quite different than other resources i have seen.

I would be very greatful if you could suggest some learning material for c++ and to use visual studio 2010 with JAWS 13.

Thank you.

2011-10-05 17:09:58

Again, it depends on the course. If the course itself is demanding, I would highly recommend learning C++ separate from the course, and use Java for now--especially if you have been given a choice between C++ or Java. I'm assuming it's a compilers course or running time analysis then if you're given a choice between two languages. Other than that, I really can't recommend which to use until I know what your course entails. If it's a data analysis course, then learning a new language along with doing the coursework may be highly inefficient since they are obviously assuming you have mastered one or the other by now (or at least know it well enough to do the coursework.)

I don't use JAWS, but if Window-Eyes works with VS 2010, JAWS should too.

Apologies for the vagueness but I really don't have much information to go on. I hope this helps you out a bit.