2011-08-28 20:56:04

Hi all!
Does anyone know how the flat review in NVDA works. I know that you have to press NVDA + numpad 7 to activate it, but if I try it on some applications it says that there's no flat review available for this object.
What am I doing wrong here?
Thanks

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-08-28 22:39:22

sorry, can't help. I use jaws. Sorry!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-08-29 15:45:39

Lauren this isn't a moderator warning but you could always not reply, since you don't have anything to add. Just friendly advice.

BCS, I'm assuming you've tried reading the documentation?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-08-29 19:20:22 (edited by bcs993 2011-08-29 19:32:58)

Hi cx2.
Yes, I did. That's where I found the keystroke. But I don't think I'm sure I understand it correctly, that's why I'm asking on here.
[eddet] Maybe I should have a look there again, seems as if I'm missing something obvious[/eddet]

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

2011-08-30 13:00:24

Quite right, although it might not be easy to understand or imagine the concept it tries to explain. You have to use object navigation to find the object that you want to review first. Perhaps in a future update, they will implement a feature that will attempt to intelligently track the system focus and carret and deduce your object of interest to review from that data.
So, locate the actual aplication's object in the hierarchy first, then use flat review on that. Hope it makes some sense, I don't have more time to explain it in greater detail right now. If you have never used NVDA's object navigation before, however, it's gonna take some getting used to.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-08-30 18:06:44

Hi lukas
Thanks for that, I think I have the idea now. I didn't press NVDA + numpadd 1 which should've taken me to the particular object.
It seems to be a little complicated: In that regard JAWS might be easier to use (the JAWS Curser). Hope they do something about that in a future update.
Once again, thanks for the help.

Brendan
-----

2011-09-08 17:22:25

Flat review only works on some objects not others. If you're in a really non-standard dialog or window, you're better off using object navigation instead of the flat review. HTH.
SG

2011-09-08 17:30:17

Hi there,
I think this is a matter of preference and getting used to. Jaws cursor is also a specific mode of working with the arrow keys, and if you merely switch to Jaws cursor without routing it to the current location of the PC one first, it seems to be similar to NVDA's flat review to me in that the cursor will not appear right in your area of interest. Likewise, with NVDA you have to navigate to the particular object first (which is the same as routing the Jaws cursor to the PC one) and only then can switch to flat review to actually find out the contents of that object. You are using a different set of keystrokes here, not just the arrow keys like in Jaws, which is of course simpler and more intuitive, right, but I think the principle is more or less the same.
So if NVDA implemented a keystroke which would switch the arrow keys between their normal functionality or performing what the review cursor keys do now, and another one to quickly route the review cursor to the current focus and turn on flat review, we could experience the same level of comfort and simplicity that Jaws users are used to.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-09-17 00:30:03

Hi all,

I hope this isn't too off topic.
Can someone tell me what I would have to do to get eloquence working with NVDA?
I don't have NVDA installed at the moment. I'm not sure if eloquence has to be ordered and paid for seperatly? Or is there somewhere I can download it and choose that voice through NVDA once I install it.

Thanks so much for any help.

Mike

2011-09-17 09:12:55

There's a topic that goes into extreme detail on how to do this. Its somewhere in the off-topics room; something like I want eloquence or nvda with eloquence or some such.