2011-09-06 22:40:38

hello  i an trying to play a game called smugglers 4 which needs my jaws to be in cursor mode please can somebody tell me 1  how to get into cursor mode   2  how to go back to pc moge   3  what is the  left click button on the keyboard.     i get to the part where it says what profession do i want and it wont let me continue.

2011-09-07 01:02:50

It depends on whether you're using a laptop keyboard or not.

In desktop mode, the minus key on the num pad will switch to Jaws Cursor mode, and the num pad plus returns to PC cursor mode. The numpad multiply and divide keys simulate mouse clicks.

If you're using a keyboard without a num pad, it's a little trickier. Also, Jaws doesn't automatically detect which type of keyboard you have, so you might need to be sure that the settings match your keyboard (I forget where it is in the jaws menus...).

I think the laptop keys use alt and P  / semi colon to switch between jaws and pc cursors, but I think it varies between versions of Jaws. I think alt+8, 7 or 9 does mouse clicks.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-09-07 10:28:41

No, in laptop mode it is the caps lock key. Alt has nothing to do with it, that would interfere with normal program hotkeys.

Note you might also need to route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor to make sure it's in the right window, do this with numpad insert and numpad minus at the same time. Numpad insert is on the same key as numpad zero, but when num lock is off it is insert. Routing the jaws cursor to the PC cursor automatically activates it so you can go straight to it from the PC cursor.

In laptop mode it is caps lock with P to switch to the jaws cursor, and caps lock with left square bracket to activate it and move it to the current PC cursor location. Caps lock with semi colon puts you back to PC cursor. Caps lock with 8 left clicks.

If Smugglers pops up a new box you might find Jaws doesn't automatically notice this, that is when you need to route Jaws to PC again. Routing Jaws to PC should make sure you're in the currently active window.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-09-07 12:45:26

cheers k and cx2

my brain is trying to absorb all this like a sponge the only problem is my sponge is not that big lol i wish all games had a self voiceing option on them i have not been using a screen reader for long and i did not realise the amount of things you can do with it lucky for me i stumbled upon this website which to me has become very informative i would just like to say thanks again

2011-09-07 13:03:27

Hmm, I've only ever used the laptop keystrokes in jaws 3.7, and alt worked there. I always used the fn key to make desktop mode work when I was using jaws 5 without a numpad.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-09-07 16:33:17

I personally don't really like jaws anymore but I need to give it the laptop layout, which many basic keys most of the screen readers adapted (like capslock+uparrow to read the curremt line or capslock+f12 to say the time), including system access, nvda and supernova, though the keys to use object navigation in nvda's laptop layout are very confusing, some of them seemingly random. Although window-eyes has a different overall keyboard layout, its mouse navigation isn't bad either, and you don't need to deal with having 2 modes, but as with nvda, its laptop layout leaves a lot to be desired, going as far as even using the same keyboard combination for 2 different actions, 1 in desktop and 1 in laptop mode.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-09-07 17:27:10

@pitermach: Yeah; especially the NVDA command that does the same thing as root jaws to pc. The keystroke was something like insert modifier (capslock) + shift + f12 or something. Its a really unwieldy shortcut key in my opinion for a function that I use very often.

2011-09-08 09:58:20

NVDA's currsor is very confusing for me.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-09-10 14:07:28

Hi,

In a wrandom cyber cafe, I've seen a computer with its delete key long enough to reduce the space for the insert key.

I mean, the delete key was vertically long so as there was no actual insert key on the keyboard.

In such a condition, what key should be used as per the desktop layout?

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-09-11 03:36:51

If num lock is off, the numpad 0 key should function as insert, but a computer that eliminates the insert key like that might have disabled that as well.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-09-11 06:41:06

The scroll lock key can be also used as a modifier key for any keyboard layout.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.