2011-09-08 17:49:35

Hello all,

I'm happy to show you my new creation, called Greenies escape, inspired from a game popular in 90s, redone in a refreshed version and of course accessible for us.

Please note that this is a beta. There are still bugs and there aren't much contents (only 8 levels).

Genre: solo strategy/reflexion
Scenario: Greenies are small living beings who look a little like mushrooms and who mainly live in the forest. Following a critical ecologic catastrophy which destroyed their home forest, they decided to begin a journey with the hope to find a new green place to live comfortably.
Infortunately, greenies aren't very smart, they tend to always go strate away, ignoring dangers. For them, making such a trip would allmost lead to a collective suicide.
However, their boss, who is a little smarter, had the idea to call a guide who will help and look after them during their journey. Believe it or not, but they chose an human to do that task, inspite the fact that the destruction of their environment was caused by human's activities. You, are, the, one they chose. Don't lead them to the death and don't make them regret their choice !

I must say that greenies escape is quite a difficult game, and that you must absolutely read the readme file before playing. Anyway, all your comments, suggestions, opinions are welcome.

Download: http://vrac.quentinc.net/audiogames/greenies-en.zip

Have fun !

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2011-09-08 18:03:09

I intend to give this game a try, it sounds very cool!  Nice work Aminiel!

When I try to run the game, it freezes and I get an error stating:
Greenies has stopped working

any ideas?

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-09-08 18:35:47

Some people reported that they had to start the game 3 or 4 times to get it working. I don't know where is the problem.

It works with jaws, NVDA, or SAPI5 as last ressort.

2011-09-08 18:54:30

Hmm, I've tried it a few dozen times but it is the same result no matter what I do.  The game's form does load though since I can see its window with the game name and version on the title.  It crashes moments after the form loads so perhaps that will help you figure out what its going on.  It also seems less like a normal bug crash, and more like an infinite loop is happening which causes the application to hang and stop responding.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-09-08 19:49:24

Strange, could you tell me which system you are exactly using and which screen reader ?

I have windows 7 32 bits and it works with jaws and NVDA, but I haven't tested the game on other windows . Perhaps it doesn't work on 64 bits, I haven't any 64 bit windows so I can't test.

2011-09-08 21:11:41

I'm using a 64 bit version of windows 7.  I'm using NVDA but oddly enough it just worked this last time I tried running the game!  I don't know what would cause it to SOMETIMES! work, but for the moment I'm just happy that it did.

Well I closed it down accidentally and had to try another dozen times before it ran again without hanging up.  I may have discovered something that would help you debug this problem.  I noticed that when the game froze and finally crashed, it crashed my NVDA as well.  I don't know if that will actually help you, but it makes me think there is some kind of link between the two since crashing programs rarely seem to crash my NVDA along with them.

I can't seem to assign new jobs to greenies.  When I select one I hold alt and press D, but it doesn't assign the job.  I hear a blip sound but it still says he is ordinary.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-09-08 21:41:20 (edited by Aminiel 2011-09-08 21:47:52)

> I can't seem to assign new jobs to greenies.  When I select one I hold alt and press D, but it doesn't assign the job.  I hear a blip sound but it still
says he is ordinary.

1 - Make sure you can assign that job with Ctrl. In level 1, you have initially 6 drillers so it's OK in this case.
2 - You can't assign a job while being paused

For the NVDA thing, try to play with the DLLs: remove one, try again... I still have problems with NVDA on 64 bits and I can't test myself, that's the same for the playroom.
Try especially these combinations:
1. 64 removed
2. 64 and 32 removed
3. replace the no suffix with the 64 one or the opposite
4. As last ressort, remove all NVDA DLLs, you will use SAPI but it will certainly work

2011-09-08 22:09:35

hi
I have the same prablom

I am using windous7 32 bet

2011-09-08 22:11:35

hi,
i don't kno what hapen
it's working now.

2011-09-08 23:11:04

hey. I start the game and it doesn't work. it doesn't say sapi or anything. i remove window eyes, use nvda. doesn't work. it brings up the menu but doesn't crash. why isn't sapi working?

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-09-08 23:15:55

this game is cool! Well done.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-09-08 23:27:04

hi.
i don't know how to move the greenies.

2011-09-08 23:38:39 (edited by keyIsFull 2011-09-08 23:39:46)

I was unable to run the game on a windows vista 32 bit machine with NVDA, or sapi. owever, I was able to run it just fine on a 32 bit windows xp professional using JAWS.
Edit: for some reason, it works now. Hmm.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-09-09 00:35:25

it won't even work with my sapi. speaking of which can you make the quentinc playroom work with window eyes? it's annoying to change to nvda all the time

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-09-09 01:06:06

Also, I am stuck on level 5.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-09-09 02:32:52

Does anyone have tips for level 8?
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
Level 8 currently appears impossible to beat. Right now, once you have a greeny dig through the floor, he falls into the water, or he floats down, and then tunnels right through the water and out of the bottom of the level.

2011-09-09 02:49:27

Never mind, just completed level 8. However, there is a bug that if you have a greeny dig through the floor then float down, it will bore right through the floor of the level.

2011-09-09 09:21:07

i also don't know how to move the greenys. they just move where they want and i want to derect them to the exit door. but strangly on level one a driller drilled a little and then all the greenys wur swarming towards the exit door. but also, 19 greenys remained. mabey they just wanted to die?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2011-09-09 15:33:13 (edited by masackru 2011-09-09 15:34:58)

Sounds like an ad for a Weed Shop. I'll definitely give it a try.

Later Edit: It works fine for me on an Windows 7, Ultimate 32 machine with jaws 12.

Perfection is never easy. But after more than 21 years...
...I got the hand of it.
Sorin Ţaţa
Produse pentru nevăzători

2011-09-09 17:36:22

connor, if this game works like the old Lemmings games, then you can't move the greenys.  The object of the game is to simply step in when necessary to prevent them from dying, but you must always face the difficulty that they will keep on marching.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-09-09 19:30:20

> if this game works like the old Lemmings games, then you can't move the greenys.  The object of the game is to simply step in when necessary to
prevent them from dying, but you must always face the difficulty that they will keep on marching.

That's exactly that. You guessed correctly the game that inspired me.

Did you get it to work aprone ? If the playroom work by you, I don't understand why this one would not. I'm using exactly the same speech functions, with the same known problems...

If only if existed a speech library in C/C++ just like the one there is for python. I will never code in python as long as I don't find a good solution to manage the indentation obligation, probably never at all because of that stupid invention.

2011-09-09 20:45:30

Hello,

I was unable to run the game on Windows 7 64-bit via NVDA until I downloaded the latest version of NVDAControlClient.dll archive, and extracted the DLL files into the directory where the game resides.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-09-09 20:52:27

Aminiel, it doesn't always start up, but if I run it over and over it will eventually work.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-09-09 21:04:12

> I was unable to run the game on Windows 7 64-bit via NVDA until I downloaded the latest version of NVDAControlClient.dll archive, and extracted the DLL
files into the directory where the game resides.

Ah interesting that, where did you get those DLL ? So that I can update the archive.

2011-09-09 21:53:02

Here is the link. I don't know whether this link is permanent.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.