2011-05-03 14:19:55

hello,

I am trying to install rockbox on a sandisk sonsa clip+ but have 2 problems. Firstly, i cannot use the rockbox utility with the latest version of jaws on a windows 7 machine. When i run the utility jaws doesn't read anything when tabbing through the controls. Secondly when i plug the mp3 player in, it displays under the heading of portable devices and has no drive letter assigned to it? Surely you need a drive letter to install rockbox?

Please could someone give me a solution as i am doing this for a friend and need to post them off as soon as possible
Thanks

2011-05-03 15:34:20

Hi,
What is rockbox?

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-05-03 16:30:40

Burak:
It's an alternative firmware that provides speech feedback for certain MP3 players. Think of it as like replacing the existing operating system with an accessible one, it was from back before iPods were accessible.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-05-13 06:33:36

while I've never used jfw with the rockbox utility it should at least read something. if not, have you tried using nvda? it does work with that, as that is what I use to install rockbox on my iPod video and my sansa fuze. the sansa clip is stable with rockbox, so you don't have to install it manually. as for the non drive letter, I really don't know why it's not working properly but I suspect it's that annoying device stage taking the drive letter away from it. with some devices when you plug them into your computer there's a driver on the device that activates device stage, which is supposed to be a convenient way to check battery status, and copy files to the device. but in reality it's an accessible nightmare. the only work around I know of is to select change settings and then choose open files with windows explorer when I plug in my device, or similar, I can't remember the actual text of the control perfectly since it's been months since i"ve actually seen it. once you install rockbox onto the device that device stage will go away, as rockbox will overwrite the driver with the usual drive letter, and it wil act like a normal usb flash drive. hope this helpa somewhat.
Kendell

I love fresh coffee, it's just so lovely! mmmmmmmmm, coffee!

2011-05-13 22:43:24

hello,

Thanks for your post. I have hhad to install rockbox manually as the rockbox utility works neither with jfw or NVDA. However, i was able to get a sighted person to install it on the second player with the utility so it defernetly does work but just not accessible to use.

As for the drive letter, i figured that the msc mode had to be selected in order for it to act as an memory device. So all is well and now i take myself as an expert in installing the software. What would you think the market would be for a branch of talking mp3 players in the UK?

2011-09-05 01:33:15 (edited by Kevan 2011-09-05 01:36:07)

The non-accessible version of the Rockbox utility was a mistake. The developers wanted a new interface but unfortunately that new interface was inaccessible. They've since gone back to the old accessible interface while making a few accessibility improvements.
The direct link to the installer is: http://download.rockbox.org/rbutil/win3 … 1.2.10.zip

Good luck!

2011-09-06 12:10:48 (edited by annamartha 2012-06-22 07:28:48)

Hey KevanGC,
you give an installer link but first it was not work.
Now it is working, and I am very happy for it.
Anyway thanks.

what foods have gluten