2011-08-16 13:08:52

hi people

i'm wandering why admins doesn't put a captcha image on registration forum so audiogames.net forum won't have a lot of spambots?

i guesss it's important

also recently captcha have put a good audio section on the captcha part (the one which is at Gmail for example)
so we (blind people) will not have any problems with passing it.

what's your ideas?

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2011-08-16 16:57:45

I think saying we will not have any problems with audio capchas is a little optimistic. I've found myself spending so much time trying to get through one that I wound up trying to send a bug report to the provider (I think it was google...).

Also, they don't really stop spambots.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-08-17 17:18:25

with audio kaptcha's i have sometimes a problem, when i have problems with it is when i try to listen to it and my brother or parents are talking to me, that's really anoying. but when i can listen to it and i can understand it it isn't a problem.

cae a little hint for you, this kaptcha's are build up of a few talking people what is dimmed. and suddenly you'll hear a word. in total it will contain 4 words. when you're sure you can remember them, you should first listen to tehm and then fill them out, but when you're not sure you can type the words when they're shouted.

when this was a bit pointless and you already knows that please forget it.

tongue

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2011-08-17 17:29:17

The better audio captias out there are probably written specifically for that site. Anything added into audiogames.net would probably need to be freely available as an open source add in to PunBB, chances are these add ins if they even exist for audio captias aren't nearly so good.

Besides if it's reading words, what if english isn't your first language and you can't spell the words in question? We don't need to make people pass a spelling test to register.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-08-17 19:49:22 (edited by hadi.gsf 2011-08-17 19:50:48)

that's true, but, firstly, for now, all of captcha audios are numbers, not words, like:
"1--------4----7-----9----6---8---1"

also, there's a type of captcha, that a woman sound will call out the letters and numbers loud and clear, you can check it on this website
http://www.filehippo.com/
the registration part.

again, there's another anti-spam bot, that is readable by screen readers, just a regular math.
2+3=? (you should type 5)
or
6-4=? (you should type 2)

uh, it's just an idea, but i'm wandering why you guys are saying that it's hard to verify

2011-08-18 05:07:32

Most of the audio capchas I've come across use words as well as numbers. Usually days of the week, colors, things like that. I seem to recall there being instances where they used words with homophones, though. I'm hoping the program is designed to allow for those intelligently.

I suppose a possible anti-spam maneuver might be to have people activate their accounts by doing something simple that it's unlikely a spam bot would think to do. For instance, have an item in profiles that is multiple choices. Like...
"Change the following to 'human' in order to post."
combo box. Advertiser, robot, spammer, human

Although I can't say that I think making things slightly more difficult for humans is necessarily going to stop the spambot invasion.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-08-18 11:27:17

Hi,
I think it is a good idea.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-08-18 11:28:26

please don't put an audio captcha in here, just a text!
and also, anti spambot is cool!
you should put it.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2011-08-18 14:32:26

Hadi.gsf

Like I said in my original response we can only use solutions which are specifically designed as plug in modules for Pun BB. Senderman is responsible for all this kind of stuff and he doesn't have time to try and adapt other systems, in fact it is likely that even installing a plug in module and making certain it works properly with the forum would be a significant amount of effort.

I'll also ask, are the spambots really that bad? I log in and generally find 3 or 4 of them which I then delete, this is 3 or 4 out of 20 or 30 topics. I can't help but think people are blowing the spam thing out of proportion. Ignore them, they'll be dealt with in due course.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-08-18 15:21:45

Not pointing any fingers but, i think people are making a bigger deal out of the spambot issue than they should. Yes they will show up here and there but, its not worth changing how the forum is run. Just my oppinion.

2011-08-18 16:44:01

And, well, we tried the pun stop bot extension, and it didn't work. Best to just treat spambots like trolls. Just don't feed them.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-08-18 18:03:20

I agree. I ban them when I see some and have time and otherwise usually try to avoid any discussion concerning them. A spam topic is not such a big annoyance and should not take longer than a minute to notice and ignore, that is if people don't immediately reply to it like: "Oh, this is another spam bot, it's soooo annoying, just ban them immediately, it's a spam bot."
Have you noticed that one bot hardly ever posts more than once? It's just new ones appearing all over the place. So I would be happy if you could leave them alone and let us moderators deal with them ourselves. We are blind but we still notice them. LOL
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-08-18 21:49:49

Very true, in fact 99% of them can be noticed and ignored without even reading the topic just from the title.

There's nothing more frustrating than a topic with one post from a spambot and 20 posts from members all on the basic variation of "Spambot! Ban! Baaannn!"

Between all the reply posts pointing out that this is probably a spambot 20 times over and all the complaining about spambots frankly I'm getting more irritated by our own members than the spambots lately.

cx2
-----

2011-08-20 03:18:26 (edited by hadi.gsf 2011-08-20 03:19:25)

ello

uh... you're right cx2, i'm sorry i just ignored the 4th post (i have no idea why)

well, it's ok i'm not going to continue on topic. dealing with spambots is not hard really, just ignorance.
but you know, it goes to annoy when people leave 8 to 30 reply to a spamBot. (as cx2 said)
lol