2011-08-16 16:31:35

Good point. Perhaps the issue then is more about updating screen readers to fit the changing nature of windows. It would be interesting to see if there will be any new screen readers in the near future that perhaps could be near perfect.

2011-08-16 18:51:40

I think the issue isn't so much the ribbon bar, but how screen readers present it to us. They don't always provide the most helpful information that allows us to properly determine where we are in the ribbon. JAWS took one approach where it completely ignores the ribbon and puts you in a virtual ribbon, but I am not a big fan of this; I don't like "overlay interfaces," I would much rather have the screen reader interact with the native user interface rather than create its own version, because this defeats the purpose of paying so much for access in the first place if they eventually decide, "well, we'll just make our own dialog on top of the existing one, and call it "accessibility."" Window-Eyes used to do this with the Outlook 2007 calendar where it would place you in a completely separate interface, but I'm not sure if it still does that or if GW Micro took it out and Window-Eyes interacts directly with the calendar now.

This is where more research needs to be done, and I feel that ribbon bars have been neglected by screen readers. It seems like all they (the major competitors) said was something like "ok, it recognizes all the controls, that's it." This is why blind people especially are having such a hard time navigating ribbon bars.

2011-08-17 17:25:16

I will say about layout that I think a lot of companies need to think really, really hard before they introduce something that is such a departure from the existing as the ribbon is. I can't honestly comment whether Microsoft has, on the one hand you would think they'd done a lot of user research but on the other hand it's possible that pressure from above could have made them glaze over this. I mean you'd think if there were doubts over a space shuttle launch they would give it a long hard look before giving the green light, then we had a disaster like Columbia. If Nasa can do that when lives are at stake then it is possible for a company to do the same. I'm not saying they've definitely made this mistake, just that we have to consider the possibility.

As to "overlay interfaces" I'm pretty sure most screen readers use that kind of interface for the web as a whole, putting the web page into some kind of buffer. So long as it's only there to reinterpret the content I don't see it being an issue, just like how you might make an alternative front end for a database. It's when they start building their own interface from scratch that we have issues about closed systems. I'm not saying they should do this for an entire application, accessibility should be based on having as little messing around like that as you can get away with for the sake of efficiency and should be focussed on specific controls as tightly as they can make it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.