2011-08-07 16:57:27 (edited by Ravager 2011-08-07 17:14:05)

Hello all.

So I've created a new site that I think will be useful to boht the VI community and the sighted community as well. I don't think I'll get in trouble for posting this, but if I do, sorry. The site's name is
VI Tek Talk

The website is
http://www.vitektalk.com

It is a forum that is *not* competing with this one, but is for technology and accessibility from everything to computers to handhelds, and tech in everyday life.

A couple of things. Once i figure out the coding behind it, I would like to put audiogames.net and forum.audiogames forums as at least a link set on the resources page, if not under our "visit our friends at" section.

I do have three questions though.

1. Does anyoen know of a free, and accessible site counter that I can use in the code for the main pages.

2. Does anyone know how to add pages that keep the same main layout ofr the forum, like keeping the headers and footers instead of a different layout? I can add page links to the top set of links (along Index, users, and so on) but I want to add the link there and keep the pages uniform.

3. Can someone look at the site and tell me how to fix an issue with the top header. I am supposed to have "skip to forum content" and the websites link at the top above the description, but it seems to have moved under the main forum links.

It is using punbb 1.3 5, and after looking in include/template/ at the main.tpl file, everything in my sites folder's main.tpl, and everything in the stock one are identical as far as I can tell... *scratches head*

The reason I want that to match correctly so badly, is that I would like to add things to it to show up across the entire site, and when I edit that file, my additions do not show up at all unless the skip to navigation, and the forum's link are at the top...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ravager
*edit*

Okay, also, there is a lot of work to be done as people register, and populate this. It's still a work in progress as it's less than 36 hours old. I'm sure there will be changes made as things go as it's the users and their needs that will dictate how things will turn out.

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2011-08-07 17:50:35

Hi there.
This is very good. I've just registered and should be online in a few minutes, when ever the e-main gets to me big_smile
I'm sorry but I don't know how to answere any of your questions since i've never made a websight.
Your forum is very good though, and if you like, i'll put a topic about the forum up on all the forums I know of to ask people to register.
Best regards.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-08-07 18:00:47 (edited by Ravager 2011-08-07 18:04:31)

It's alright about the helping part. I mean it's usable as it is now, but it's just the little tweaks I'd love to get in. smile

Thanks for the positive feedback, I've been sitting and thinkign on this forum idea for a while, and spent who knows how much time tryign to see if there was much of anythign as cross platform/cross device out there.

If you could, please post to places that you think wouldn't get you banned for cross forum posting. I don't really belong to any forums besides this, and one that i haven't visited in years that I haven't been to in years. Unfortunately, I also don't think they like people posting abotu other forums in their forum, as "it might bring users away" or something... Some people don't understand how to work together with multiple forums to provide the best of experiences. *coughs* Not talking about Audiogames. I absolutely love you guys. ^_^

Have a good one

*edit*
I forgot, the return mailer that you'll be getting confirmation from is [email protected]. I think one or two people have reported that it went directly to their spam box? If you don't receive in about 15 minutes, check your spam folder.

Ravager

A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2011-08-07 18:03:34

smile.
How long does it usually take to receave an e-mail? I haven't receaved mine yet.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-08-07 18:09:06

ok, is that basically your junk e-mail?

2011-08-12 01:44:07

No problems with you posting this at all, glad to see you around again as well by the way. I don't see a problem linking to audiogames.net either, we are a resource after all.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-08-14 18:36:43

Heyas cx2, glad to see this isn't causing conflict. smile I know that if I posted something like this in some other places, it would get me banned instantly, and give the site a bad name, .

So, first things first, fixed the page layout. Apparently when you switch styles, it stops using one file, and uses  a different file of the same name elsewhere... *scratches head* Anyway though.

Still trying to find an accessible hit counter, but I think I'll just skip that for now. I remember sites that had hit counters that you could read with a screen reader, but for the life of me, I can't remember any of them now, and can't find them *scratches head again* I remember them being quite specific a well. Something like "You are guest #### and unique guest ####" or something like that ish. Also still trying to add pages that look the same with the forum layout and style. I'd rather not have to go through coding everything manually, and especially since I don't know PHP to make it look the same...

*kicks computer and mumbles "stupid sexy webpage design" in his best homer simpson voice*

If I have to though, I'll just make a very very basic page, that way people have resources to look at and visit.
I don't think that even if I wanted to, not that I do, I couldn't match what you guys have going here for audio games, although I might have to recommend the *couple* of Linux and IOS games you don't show (and yes, I really only mean a couple). The issues i have with setting up some of the other resources is this. Sites like this, and another that I deal with on a regular basis are good sites. Open, honest, and if they can't help, they don't mind redirecting people to somewhere that can.

But... Some of the other resources sites and places.
*coughs the shark, MS, and Macintosh*coughs*

Well, we know how closed minded they are, and they don't like admitting there are other solutions out there.

I guess it comes down to me putting my beliefs aside, even though I completely disagree with some of these companies viewpoints, and do what is best for the members, and guests.

Glad to be back around, now I remember why I liked this site so much. smile

Ravager

2011-08-14 21:36:59

If they don't want you to know about other possibilities than those they provide then they're concerned about competition. Here we don't see ourselves as being in competition thus we don't have a problem with it. It isn't as if anyone makes any money from audiogames.net in any case so why worry?

Unfortunately I don't know PHP at all so I can't help there, Senderman deals with all that kind of thing around here but him and Richard are busy people. There's always the off chance he might drop a post in but I wouldn't count on it, nice guy just doesn't get much time with the forum and when he does it's usually fixing something that broke or improving something.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-08-16 00:27:53

oh. big_smile