2006-07-15 04:14:43

I've just logued into the brouser based stratogy game, warring factions, and I'm not afraid to admit, that i'm totally out of my depth here!

I've never played any game like this before, it looks interesting but I'm suffering information overload (something I thought was impossible for a philosopher).

It also doesn't help that the manual is an alphabetical style index where you have to look up articals. This basically means that when I try and get some info about something, have one artical telling me about something else which I then have to look up, which then refers to something else I need to look up etc!

I must admit that all these references to population stats, science stats, blue prints and research are making my head spin round and round!

If anyone playes the game, a litle ---- no scratch that a lot! of explanation would be very welcome.

If anyone wishes to join me in my absolute confusion, go to:

http://www.war-facts.com/

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-07-16 00:03:28

I used to play, but the navigation of ships got too hard for me to be effective. I still understand all the stuff though, when I was sighted I played games like the Master of Orion series a lot.

Population:
The more population a colony has the more it can do.

Blueprints:
Either things you can build at colonies or use as parts on ships, they are generated at random from. Quality is based on number of scientists, funding input and average efficiency of labs at the colony. Type is determined by proportion of scientist types with a slight random element.

Number of scientists you can have at a colony is the number of workers your labs there have.

Anything else? Any clarifications?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-07-16 00:53:02

Thanks Cx2, I did manage to find a beginners guide in the links section but knowing about science and research does help.

I can see that this is a game it'll take me quite a while to learn, and unfortunately at the moment I don't really have the time or energy, sinse I'm preparing for the international Gilberta dn sullivan festival in August ---- just to put this in perspective, I'll be singing tenor at about 3000 people, solo!

I was looking for a bit of light relief in online gaming, some exploration and such, and this is obviously not it. I might come back to warring factions in September (I'll probably have to re-signup), but for now I just don't have the time required to learn the game unfortunately.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-07-16 08:18:28

Nod, it's not quite a light relief type game. Anyone should be able to understand your reasons for not carrying it on right now, you don't have to justify it... but that does sound like a bit of an ouch.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-07-16 22:10:52

Well, it's what I chose to do ----- the singing I mean, not the justification, it's hard work, consumes a lot of time and energy (especially learning stage directions), but it is worth the experience Imho.  But it would be rude of me to ask for help and then just say "sorry I don't have the time"

As I said, i well may come back to Warring factions in the future, when i've got less other things to keep me busy, and I'll probably have lots of questions about the game then.