2011-07-21 16:13:26 (edited by phalos 2011-07-21 16:14:27)

Ahoy.

I've got a problem with sighted friends reading my netbook screen. Asking nicely has done nothing, and it's getting annoying. Does anyone know of a solution that might solve this, short of removing the screen? (On a side note, I used to love the pac mate for this 'feature'.)

Cheers,

2011-07-21 18:37:09

I know that whenever I was working on a word document I didn't want people to read, I'd just change either the background color or the text color so that the two were the same. (I once tried to submit a document I wrote that way for a school newspaper and forgot to change the colors back, so I got a reply saying I'd sent an empty document... lol ).

But I don't think that would accomplish what you're talking about.
Unfortunately, I think you'd have to try and handle it on a program by program basis. Even then, there's the problem of programs that don't let you adjust things like color settings.
Of course, you could just try to find the display settings and mess with them until it becomes unreadable. I don't know how exactly you'd do that, but I think that it's an option.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-21 19:47:47

I don't know if this will work for your particular situation, but you could always tape a piece of paper to the screen.  As long as you put tape along all of the sides, it would stay on even as you opened and closed the lid.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-07-21 20:13:40

Great ideas! Much appreciated.

Cheers,

2011-07-22 11:01:10

Another option is to ask someone to watch as you turn the brightness all the way down and see if that makes the screen go black, which also has the benefit of saving battery power. Unfortunately in Windows you won't get a spoken readout of the percentage.

When I'm using my Apple stuff I quite often turn on the screen curtain which is very useful laugh. Especially when I'm using headphones.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-24 16:29:55

Hi,
Close the lid down far enough so you can use the keyboard but so that the screen can't be seen. Or get someone you trust to help you with the brightness.

2011-07-25 21:04:28

You could also just raze the briteness to 100percent and then the screen is litterally unreadable!

I am Ethin,
I have learned from my mistakes,
I will not hurt you,
So let me live!

2011-07-25 22:50:04

That reminds me of when I brought my Sega Nomad to the school for the blind's summer program. I'm pretty sure my roommate couldn't see anything on that screen (that is quite literally the only handheld system I've ever been able to see well enough to play, and even then it required glasses). And yet, whenever I'd let him play it, I'd always find the brightness turned up to max afterward.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-26 08:13:59

Maybe he confused the volume and brightness controls?

Personally I'd sooner drop the brightness since raising it will tend to use more battery power. Even for sighted users they recommend having the brightness lower to save on battery, that's why some devices even include a light sensor to automatically reduce brightness when it isn't needed so much so it runs longer on a charge.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-26 09:20:29

Well, I had it plugged in at the time. He could very well have confused the brightness with the volume, though.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-26 10:38:28

I used to crank the laptop brightness right down as Cx2 said, but I've not noticed a physical brightness controll on any modern machines for a while now, and I think te only way to do it would be muck about with display settings but I've never worried enough to go and look.

To be honest I personally never care if people in public read my screen, ---- I do afterall use my laptop on trains, on stations or in the street quite a bit, but I would like a way of turning the screen completely off sinse it would save a lot of batteries, and the screen on a laptop is not good enough for me to do anything graphical on anyway, ---- well not on a 14 inch like this one, maybe on a 17 inch.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-26 11:33:46

The simplest solution is to put the lid down so no one can see the screen. Just close it half way down so you're still able to use the keyboard. Well, people can easily push it up again if they wants to. As many people had said jus turn the brightness down. Voiceover have that nice feature which turns the screen totally blank, but it's not Apple stuff we're discussing here, so I shot up! smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-07-26 12:05:13

That's what I usually do. I had an instance just a couple days ago when I was trying to load a visual game, and the laptop screen was pretty far down, and my cousin from halfway across the room remarked that the window was tiny. I was kinda surprised.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-26 16:03:18

What you can do on windows seven is press windows key+p, and select projector only, that way windows is redirecting display output to a nonexistent projector.
It works on my laptop at least

2011-07-27 10:38:08

@malthe: You're a genious! I myself have been trying to find a way to completely turn off the laptop monitor since the laptop's 0% brightness setting is still readable. Never thought of looking into the projector settings. I think this would work regardless of laptop model; or it does for my acer anyway.

2011-07-30 19:03:21

Fantastic. Glad it works smile