2011-07-25 21:20:11

Hi all,
I need help with BB code. On the page, it reads:
Help
Help with BBCode
Administrators have the ability to enable or disable BBCode. If BBCode is enabled a link to BBCode help will appear when you compose/edit a post or your signature. BBCode is a collection of formatting tags that are used to change the look of text in this forum. BBCode is based on the same principal as, and is very similar to, HTML. Below is a list of all the available BBCodes and instructions on how to use them.
Text appearance can be changed with the following tags which can be nested.
Bold textproduces
Bold text
Underlined textproduces
Underlined text
Italic textproduces
Italic text
Red textproduces
Red text
Blue textproduces
Blue text
Bold, underlined textproduces
Bold, underlined text

Heading text

produces
Heading text
You can create links to other documents or to e-mail addresses using the following tags:
AudioGames.net Forumproduces
AudioGames.net Forum
http://forum.audiogames.net/produces
http://forum.audiogames.net/
[email protected]produces
[email protected]
My e-mail addressproduces
My e-mail address
To quote someone use the quote tag. You can use the quote tag without specifying a name.

James wrote:

This is the text I want to quote.

produces a quote box citing the person being quoted.
James wrote:

produces a bare quote box.
When displaying source code you should make sure that you use the code tag. Text displayed with the code tag will use a monospaced font and will not be affected by other tags. Long items of code will cause the text to scroll.

This is some code.

produces a code box.
This is some code.

This is a long piece of code. This is a long piece of code. This is a long piece of code. This is a long piece of code. This is a long piece of code.

produces a scrolling code box.
This is a long piece of code. This is a long piece of code. This is a long piece of code. This is a long piece of code. This is a long piece of code.
To create a list you can use the list tag. You can create 3 types of lists using the list tag.

• Example list item 1.

• Example list item 2.

• Example list item 3.

produces a bulleted list.
• Example list item 1.
• Example list item 2.
• Example list item 3.

1. Example list item 1.

2. Example list item 2.

3. Example list item 3.

produces a numbered list.
1. Example list item 1.
2. Example list item 2.
3. Example list item 3.

1. Example list item 1.

2. Example list item 2.

3. Example list item 3.

produces an alphabetically labelled list.
1. Example list item 1.
2. Example list item 2.
3. Example list item 3.
I don't under ssdand th

I am Ethin,
I have learned from my mistakes,
I will not hurt you,
So let me live!

2011-07-25 22:53:50 (edited by CAE_Jones 2011-07-26 01:10:26)

Well, I think that pretty much shows how bb code turns out, doesn't it?
Although I never bothered looking at the help page to see how people make those headings inside their posts. So somehow pasting the entire help page into a post wound up being helpful. tongue

But, I would highly recommend removing that from the post.
And... well... you didn't mention a specific part that you don't understand. If it's bb in general... well... you put tags inside [brackets], put stuff that the tags modify, then close the tag the same way you opened it, but with a /. [ tag ] Some text [ / tag ]
I'd recommend an old version of microsoft front page, if you can find one. It makes it easy to enter text similarly to word, and quickly view how that text is represented in html. That helped me figure out HTML, anyway, and bb code is similar, just using brackets instead of <less than and greater than> signs.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-26 01:56:31

Which bit did you not understand ethin? what were you trying to do with bb code?

I must admit I found the help page clear enough myself, but if you let us know which bit your having trouble with or what you want to do maybe we can offer an alternative explanation.

Personally, the only bb code I make extensive use of is posting links and posting mail to addresses very occasionally.

Links are relatively easy, you just right the bit in brackits saying that your posting a link, paste the link and the text you want, then more brackits with the tag and a slash to tell the board it is finished.  for example, left brackit u r l = www.audiogames.net right brackit this is a link to audiogames.net left brackit slash u r l right brackit.

Use the brackits to the right of the p on your keyboard, and don't put in spaces around the brackits and it should be fine.

here's an example with parenthesis instead of brackits (url=www.audiogames.net)Click here for the audiogames.net site(/url) 

And with the brackits it comes out like this when reading posts:

HEre is a link to the audiogames.net site

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-26 13:02:47

I think the list thing.

This is not a signature.