2006-06-30 03:50:16

Hi everyone.
I have a quick question. What version of quake do you guys use with the AGRIP Project?
Thanks.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-06-30 13:11:47 (edited by cx2 2006-06-30 13:14:45)

Download from www.agrip.org.uk, the quake engine was released in source code form and there are a few different upgraded engines about. The agrip project has simply taken one of these and adapted it.

The only thing you need the original for is if you want the original single player and deathmatch levels, which are not the most accessible with audio quake. For this any version of Quake will do since you only need the data files. If you're happy with the maps included with audio quake then the installer has an option to pull down the shareware version of Quake from the internet for you and install the data files automatically.

The shareware data files include only the first episode of the original quake and perhaps a couple of the original deathmatch maps, but you will get all the accessible deathmatch maps provided with audio quake. The data files are needed since Audio Quake still uses the original Quake weaponry etc, and this is copyright to ID software still even though the source is now freely distributable. If they ever wanted a totally stand alone package they'd need to come up with their own weapons, sounds and textures. I know we don't need textures, but a stated objective is for us to be able to play against sighted opponents, and because quake uses a visual engine it would be awkward working without textures.

Edit:
Most people will realise this, but just in case... Audio Quake will only work with Quake and not Quake 2, 3 or any later game. Mainstream games do not use the title "Quake 2" to represent a version 2.0 like some audio games like Lone Wolf, but more like movies and Chillingham 2 to represent an entirely new game. The above statement says that any version of Quake will do, which is true... a version would be something like Quake 1.01 as opposed to Quake 2 which is a seperate iteration of the Quake series, and would have it's own version 1.0 and so on.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-06-30 13:18:53

Hi,
In Audio Quake, how can you tell when there is a corner near.

My other question is, in the Deathmatch and Teamdeathmatch moads, why do the people (or bots) just leave the game with out a reson?

And my last question is, how do I start a Co-Op?

2006-06-30 17:25:20

type co op with spaces, and bots leave without reason they just do that, not sure why they do that, often when i get fragged one leaves. you can bring new ones back by pressing the dot and comma keys and get rid of them with the m key.

2006-06-30 20:12:42 (edited by Game Man 2006-06-30 20:16:20)

Hi.
When you said that any version will do, what do you mean by that? Do I perchase any version of quake in the first series?
Thanks.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-07-01 06:34:53

Have you enabled deathmatch mode? Otherwise they definitely won't respawn, but if it's on they should.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-07-03 05:04:45

Gameman:
Sorry, just noticed the question. Any version of the original Quake will do, so versions of Quake 2 or 3 won't. Sadly the original is hard to come by to say the least. You can always use the shareware version though, which is freely available and like I said the audio quake install will offer to do it for you. You will still get all the specially designed maps, but not the original Quake ones... but they're not all very playable for us anyway.

The reason is this:
Quake 2 is not a version of Quake 1, it is a seperate game titled to indicate it is in the same series much as Spiderman 2 is to Spiderman 1. All Audio Quake needs from Quake is the data files which tells it how weapons work, so any version of Quake 1 will do. A version would be something like Quake V1.0 or V1.01. Quake 2 would also have its own V1.0 and so on, Quake 2, 3 or potentially 4 would not work because they are not a version of Quake, instead they would be aversion of Quake 2, 3 or 4.

cx2
-----

2006-07-03 16:15:07

Hi
Thanks for your help.
game Man

Game Man

2006-07-04 05:32:10

Any time. Just hope I didn't confuse you, looking back at my posts they seem a touch complicated. I blame the heat tongue

cx2
-----