2011-07-15 08:13:32

hi,
I came to
this
and I thinked this is very good to stop time, (perhaps slow it down) when this happened, severel things should happen. what you think about that?

This is not a signature.

2011-07-15 13:34:25

Not sure how, even if you can make lenses which affect time, why they wouldn't just alter its passage rather than "ignore" anything that happened between them. My immediate response is that the authors were probably a little tipsy when they wrote the paper, but then I've been wrong before.

I think unless or until I hear about something like this from a reputable source I'll assume it's conjecture at best.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-15 16:30:17

The thing about stopping time is that... if time stops, then... nothing happens. Stopping time isn't the same as making everything around you freeze, despite what science fiction and fantasy would have us believe.
I mean, if you stop time, you effectively destroy the universe.
Or, if you're stopping time in a limited space, you've... like... I dunno, would that create a singularity? Or just really, really hurt?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-15 17:30:23

yeah, time stop ing isn't a good idea because if time stoped, then...all...and...you...also...stoped!
so, how you continew time if stoped, because your also stoped, and there no a thing that fite with time!

This is not a signature.

2011-07-15 18:20:25

Well if they claim to have stopped time for a very short period in a finite space this isn't really helpful for what they're thinking. It isn't that everything that happened inside that space is "forgotten" by time, it's that nothing can possibly happen in that area of space.

It also begs the question, how do they know they stopped time in that space? And how have they measured how long time was stopped for so accurately? I doubt they managed to stop time around an atomic clock, that'd probably be a bit too large. Even if they did know that though how could they tell the difference between stopping time for a fraction of a second and just slowing it down a really large amount?

The more I think about it the more holes I can see in this. Note that many scientists publish papers with the intent of using it as what is effectively advertising material in order to attract investers to their research, the cynical might think that's what is happening here.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-16 05:25:20

yeah if they stop time, how they know that part of time stopd? and how they continew the time?

This is not a signature.