2011-07-13 07:51:45

This one goes out to anyone who knows more about computer hardware than I do, which is probably a lot of people, as I generally deal with the OS and nothing truly physical about machines.

About five months ago, I purchased an external Seagate hard drive and placed all of my music in it.  I've been reorganizing it over the past couple of days, but I've noticed that the drive tends to grind quite a bit when I'm moving files around and such.  Moreover, it seems to be working itself crazy, because its body is heating up quite nicely on both front and back.  Should I be worried?  Grinding generally isn't anything I've ever associated with good in the slightest.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-07-13 08:38:52

I have one that does that. Not sure what brand it is or whathaveyou. It freaks me out when I hear it grinding, but I've had it for a good two and a half years (woah, it's really been that long?) without noticeable malfunction. I try not to have it plugged in when I'm not using it, though, just to be safe.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-13 20:40:17

same here, i have a wd hard drive, and it grinds sometimes, gets real hot, but it does no harm!

2011-07-14 16:58:17

Ditto, using a WD. Grinding is a noise I've associated with a hard drive for a long, long time it's just that modern hard drives are a little quieter and are masked by both the increased number of  cooling fans and the computer case so when they're internal you don't tend to hear them unless you listen really carefully.

When I say "increased number of cooling fans" I'm referring to once upon a time when computers only had the power supply fan and a small fan on the CPU. Nowadays you have a fan on the graphics processor not to mention often an intake fan in the front of the case as a general minimum.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.