2011-07-10 15:07:19

hi,
I am browsing the forum, I came accross a spamm topic. ok. then, I looked another topic, but that is in another language. I translated it with google translater, and I am shoked. that is first topic's title!.
so, my point is, now spammer's translating its post's in another language? very anowing though, because if you try to delete a topic, another copy of topic is still in forum (in another language)!

This is not a signature.

2011-07-10 15:41:41

I agree, it is quite annoying.  For the moment, I think the most we can do is clear them out as soon as we spot them.  I believe I've banned 6 spam bots today already.  It's like they attack in swarms, haha.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-07-10 15:47:24

hmm ok, but don't ya all think that the number of spambots has decreased to quite an extent after the introducing of punstop bots q's?

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-07-10 15:51:55

For a while, maybe, but they seemed to increase dramatically over the past week or so.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-07-10 16:01:09

Actually aprone is right, they seem to go in waves. There are none for several days and then boom! a hole gang.

I'm also afraid the punbb antispam question actually didn't work out.

I got a message from a new member (actually one of the Airik developers), saying that everytime she posted the antispam question appeared and she couldn't post a new topic. I used my private address to create a new test account and found the same thing.

The question itself was fine, "what planet do we live on" or "What is the name of this website" but the board just wouldn't take one answer, and new users seemed to need to put it in all the time, even when successfully registered.

So, Sander had to remove it again.

This was however several weeks ago at the start of June, so the present spambot increase isn't related, it's just the season for them, ---- maybe they breed in summer ;D.

Maybe Aprone can go into his evil mad scientist lab and work on a spamicide? ----- or then again maybe not, sinse isn't that how all the really bad monsters are created? ---- through dodgy chemical testing? ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-10 16:39:25

Someone's going to find a way to turn this into something good for everyone.  Spambot hunting could be a game, maybey?

You are part of a forum where spam has gotten out of control.  Spambots are appearing almost every day and they have to be stopped.  the forum is immense, frequented by several hundreds of individuals, and still others are trying to sign up.  Who are genuine, and which ones are not?  Find the spam topics and blast them out of existence, and, as a bonus, find spambots before they produce a topic on the forum.  As an extra super bonus, if you've managed to find bots before they've produced spam topics, get massive pointage for guessing what their post was originally going to be about.

Ah, the power of computers!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-07-10 17:00:05

Of course, that game would have to doc points for accusing human members as spammers. ^^

Requiring validation for new users by a mod or admin might work, though it could well increase the workload for the staff.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-10 17:33:37

Every system has drawbacks and downsides, and no stance we take on the spam issue is truly appealing, which is why I generally tend to ignore this topic for the most part, because as far as I know, there's no real solution in sight; no pun intended.  :d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-07-10 18:43:32 (edited by dhruv 2011-07-10 18:47:30)

a spamm hunt game, hahah! although every time I post with stop bot, I use answer button instade pressing enter and no problame at all! I shaired it in another topic
[edit]
the eazyest way to know wether that is a spammer or a human is ask to repost theirs post. the spammer's has no ability to do this!
[/edit]

This is not a signature.

2011-07-10 18:49:32

spambots are so annoying!!! I'm sick to death of them.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-07-10 20:00:06

A spambot hunt game! I can see it now, something like the gunfights in grizly gulch, but instead of a gun you yell "ban!" really loundly, and instead of saying their outlaw lines you here voices saying "free samples!" or "interesting comment!"

Oooh dear, and I bet someone is now going to make it ;D.

Seriously, I think the punbb question was a good idea if we can find a way of it not irritating new members.

Certainly when I tried it myself, while it was fine for registering the new account, it got annoying very quickly sinse it wouldn't let me post a new topic. I'd write the answer and hit the answer button and then just be put back to the question again and again and again! even though the answer was obviously write sinse I'd already registered.

I'm less a fan of mod approval or validation, sinse 1, I wouldn't like to have people having to depend entirely on myself and the other mods' time, and 2, I always feel it's a litle unfriendly.

Certainly myself if I needed to contact a mod or similar I'd be a litle worried about registering somewhere, which is not what we want.

Maybe when sander redesigns the site he could look at creating a better question system such as the one they have on kingdom of Loathing that I've mentioned before.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-11 08:32:38

Hi.
I would gladly help you to remove these spambots. I'm on the forum every day.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-07-11 09:00:11

yeah, I too.

This is not a signature.

2011-07-11 21:41:08

Hi,
Me too. I am almost every day looking at the forum. I will happy to help you if I can.

SLJ wrote:

Hi.
I would gladly help you to remove these spambots. I'm on the forum every day.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-07-11 22:19:32

Thanks for the offers people.

I think with four of us on the job we are alright thus far, but we'll contact people privately if this becomes a major issue.

hopefully though, Sander can find a more effective antispam measure that is not irritating to members in future which should cut down the problem.

2011-07-12 09:24:14

The spambots tend to attack when the moderators are offline. lol
If a mod could be expected to be online at the typical time of attack... :idea:

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-12 11:25:31

Well actually cae it's not that spambots attack when we're offline, it's just that those are the only attacks which forum members will see sinse obviously if we're around as soon as we detect a spambot it is exterminated!

Fortunately though now there are four of us on the job not just myself and Cx2, it is more likely someone will be online at any given time and able to deal with spambots as soon as possible.

Afterall, Cx2 and I are both in the Uk, so tend to be on the forum in uk time (not counting insomniation of course). But now we have Lucas and Aprone who are both from different timezones which should certainly help.

2011-07-12 17:57:57

It would be kind of neat to have a running total somewhere.  Just something that incremented each time one of us deleted a spam post, or banned a spam bot.  I bet most people would be shocked at how many there really are.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-07-12 19:57:53

Proboards keeps all the banned members in a list, so I can go back and look at how many spambots I've banned if I really want to. I have to count them myself, though... yikes

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-12 21:06:44

I wwouldn't fancy counting them myself here, there are literally hundreds!

2011-07-12 21:46:04

actually when I try to go through the pages of banned people, there is a php error.  I don't think we could count them even if we wanted.

- Aprone
Aprone's software