2006-02-03 11:16:38

Hi Folks,

This topic discusses various methods and tips on how to get Sudo-San to work. Here are the first few tips 'n' tricks:

1) Read the manual!

2) Increase your browser cache
The game is quite big (about 8Mb) and when it is started, it is downloaded to the cache of your browser. If you have set your cache to less than 8Mb, you have to load the game everytime you visit the page. If you set you cache to for instance 20 Mb (most computer nowadays can easily handle a cache that size, mine is set to 200 Mb), then next time you visit the Sudo-San website, the game will load from your cache. The game will run from your cache for as long as you don't delete your cache. Please note that the game will NOT run solely on your computer (you need to visit the Sudo-San website).

3) Focus
Shockwave games are something getting used to. In order to "work", a shockwave game always needs "the focus". Shockwave games are to most screenreaders somewhat like a graphic object. We programmed the website so that the focus is set automatically to the game when it starts loading. So when you start loading the website and the game (http://www.audiogames.net/sudosan/play.php), do not go to another website or do something else with your computer, otherwise you will remove the focus. You can then, after you heard the gong, immediately start playing (just press the cursor-keys to move around the puzzle - read the manual for all the keys). We recommend using Internet Explorer or Firefox (latest versions!), since these two browser are the most compatible (in our opinion) with setting the focus.
I also suggest reading this technote of The Curb Game (another Shockwave game), which describes a few techniques for using screenreaders and Shockwave:

http://www.audiogames.net/thecurbgame/#curbhelp

More tips will follow!

Greets,

Richard

2006-02-03 22:54:36

Here's a small walkthrough for getting the focus on the game:

- click the link to play Sudo'-San (a new page with the game will now start loading)
- unload your screenreader and simply wait untill the game loades
- when you hear the game it means it is loaded properly. After the Gong-sound you can start pressing buttons. I suggest pressing the cursor keys smile
- if you hear sounds of interaction, the focus is on the game and you can play.
- if you DON'T hear sounds of interaction, the focus is not on the game (either because of the unloading of the screenreader, an older browser or something else). In this case: *press F5 to reload the page*. The page should reload now (and if your cache is large enough, the game will be started from the copy in the cache instead of reloading from the website again) and the focus should be set to the game again. Since you aren't touching any other programs while loading this maybe does the trick. If it doesn't I suggest trying a different browser just to test. For example, Sander and I each have exactly the same computer, internet connection and browsers installed (same versions too) and somehow I do not have an automatic focus on the game in Firefox and Sander does. However, Internet Explorer always works for me.

2006-06-14 22:44:36

Latest Update:

Due to the lawsuit that Microsoft lost, all multimedia that is embedded in a website needs to be activated with an extra keypress in Internet Explorer. If you have problems, either use Firefox or do the following:

- click the link to play Sudo'-San (a new page with the game will now start loading)
- unload your screenreader and simply wait untill the game loades
- when you hear the game it means it is loaded properly.
- *press F5 to reload the page*. The page should reload now (and if your cache is large enough, the game will be started from the copy in the cache instead of reloading from the website again) and the focus should be put on the game again.
- *press [spacebar] to enable the movie*. This is unfortunately the extra step that is needed to activate interaction with the movie sad