2006-05-18 22:37:32

Hi.

Please forgive me if there's already been a topic about this while I was away, but checking the Pcs games list, I noticed that Jim Kitchen has another game out for his game engine ----- or rather, has converted his golf game to work in the usual Kitchinsink manner with Sapi.

I'm not a sports games fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought I'd try something different. I'm actually really impressed, the game's rather entertaining, particularly the trade mark Kitchinsink Homer Simpson samples (if anyone's seen the episode where the Simpsons join the country club, they'll know homer does actually play golf).

The game's actually rather complex, and does require some skill, also, from what I've seen, it appears to work in a similar way as Ten pin alley, though with the added advantage of being free).

I'm pleasantly surprised with this one, I thought I'd be trying, then deleting it, but obviously not!

Btw, I don't know how the Baseball or American Football games work out, being English (and not at all interested in sports), both the games are a bit too far outside my frame of reference for me to go and play them.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-05-19 05:22:47

As another brit I can vaguely speaking say american football is close to rugby, but with padding (wusses) and baseball is almost identical to rounders (a girl's game mostly).

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-05-19 07:18:09

I seem to remember playing Rounders in secondary school, but I can't say I particularly liked the game or even remember the rules.

As to rugby, all I know abou that is that every wednesday night, every bar around Durham is full of very large, very roudy, very drunk people (ladies as well), who have iether just won or lost one of the universities numerous Rugby games.

Reguarding golf though, my dad's a fairly keen golfer (I trip over his clubs regularly! ;D), so I did know something about the game before I started, I'm also looking forward to telling him that I got ten strokes under par at the Metro country club golf course!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-05-19 16:04:38

10?!
hay and you can make your own course (no saving inbetween -- you will need to do it all at once. arg.)
hmm, i dunno the best things toi have.
i want my caurse to start easy, then get harder. i may also make a special caurse for beginners, all par at 6 and really low yards.

2006-05-19 18:51:36

wow, I might have to check that out.

I played the old golf game a few years ago and found it to be way too easy.  I liked how it used eloquence, but I didn't like how if you wanted to speed up the speach you had to make the pitch go higher too.  I would love it if the games could use your screen reader, that way you could use whatever synthesizer you like, and not have to mess with that crappy Microsoft SAPI.

As for the football and baseball games, I tried them but didn't keep them.  Baseball you were more involved in it, so it was the better of the two.  You could select pitches and do batting, but that was pretty much it.  The commercials were clever, though.  I was pretty disappointed with the football game because all you could do was select the play you wanted to do.  Once the ball was in play, you just had to listen to the speech tell you what happened.  I want to have more control over what goes on when the ball is actualy in play.  Maybe I've been spoiled by Madden though...

Yes I've seen that eppisode where Homer goes to the country club...my brother has that on DVD.  I love when Mr. Burns tells Homer to use an open faced club...the sand wedge, and Homer goes "MMM, open face club sandwitch."

2006-05-19 21:43:46

Hi.
I like how Jim Kitchen uses the Neo Speech voices. It's even better than DT and others.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-05-20 12:09:23

As I've said before, I really don't mind synth voices like Sapi reading out status info, such as the yards of shots and what's around you in the gold game. It does sort of annoy me in the game of life, but hay! nobody (at least in this country), has ever produced a braille version of the Life game, and it's infinitely easier to have monopoly on my comp than try and store a whacking great braille board, the only one of Jim Kitchin's games that the speech really gets on my whick is the star mule game, sinse in that the Sapi is pretending to be real human spaceship crew members.

Oh and Yeah, Ten strokes! I was having a pretty lucky run(I think I got two double eagles!). I stil haven't managed a hole in one though.

When you create a golf course, does it get saved as a file? if so, maybe Richard would be kind enough to host some user created courses on Audiogames.net for people to download.

2006-05-20 12:18:48

i am not sure what actually happens if you make a golf course, i suppose it does since that's what monopoly and all that does.
and even baseball has a .sav file!

2006-05-20 23:36:59

I think on down hill, at hole four i managed to hit in the ball with just one hit, dunno how it happened. But it said oh my god, lol.
Seems his games will be better and better, with every move.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-05-24 11:02:20

Well, progression in the Audiogames markit is what we want to see, Robjoy, and that's what we've been seeing in a lot of places recently (even Vip games zone). The only thing I'd really like to see in Jim Kitchen's games, is the ability to have more than one computer opponent in monopoly and game of life.

Talking of Monopoly, I also noticed that a couple of the rules in Jim's game were slightly different to the rules in the English version that we usually play.

for example, we usually have a rule that nobody can buy properties on the first go round the board (this is actually in the rule book, not just made up by me). Also, I've never heard of that rule whereby if you land on a property and don't buy it, someone else can.

Well, I suppose monoply's sort of like Poker, in that there's about 10000000 different variations on the rules ---- or at least a lot.

2006-05-24 11:20:50

Well, the hungarian monopoly version is just like the american one.
About more players, i wrote to jim about it, and he replied, he probably won't implement it, because he tries to keep his games as simple as possible.
Well, nothing to do about it.
Better than nothing, sure is, but it is quite anoying, that you can buy the first two assets from the computer for the same price, and he replies, a good deal, lol.
Also all of the four realways, if you can buy it, just costs the orig. price, 200 dollars i think.
These are the things, which it is easy to bankrupt the computer.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-05-25 12:37:06

thanks for the tips about the stupid machine, but to be honest, the computer bankrupts itself anyway with litle help from me, by buying sooo many properties then morgaging them. It usually ends up with me owning one or two sets, and the computer owning the rest of the board, but unable to collect wrent because it's all morgaged.

that's another rule I'd never heard before iether. In English monopoly, if somebody morgages a property, it becomes free once again, and they have to land on it and buy it again at full price to get it back.

It's annoying that Jim won't include more computer players, Imho iit would make Monopoly and The game of life much more fun. Also, I'd love to see the ability to change currencey with the different game boards. using dollars in Starwarss, middle earth ------ or Londonfor that matter, just doesn't seem right to me.