2006-05-19 16:15:33

hello richod and sander (and anyone else who is interested),
i have an idea which might iliminate spammers.
someone said about having a text-based verification code, no, that will not work, because the spammer can just enter it.
you could e-mail each "good" member (me, and everyone else who  does not spam) a code they must enter for their message to be submitted.
this will be a good way to iliminate those spambots for they won't have a code!
a special code that only certain people will know. like a message password. the same for everyone, but you could have a list of names and the IP of that person, if a person enters the code and is not in that list, their message is not submitted.what do you guys think of this?

2006-05-19 16:18:03

p.s, the members must ask richod by e-mail if they can be on the list. that way, memebers will not just be added to the list automaticly.

2006-05-19 17:40:00

Keep in mind, that pun bb is not exactly written by Richard, or Sander, it is an open source mysql driven bulletin board.
So, it won't be easy to modify.
I think an e-mail confirmation would be cool, i think pun bb supports it.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-05-20 03:18:03

Spammers can enter a text based authorisation code, but would they bother? Spambots would likely not be complicat4ed enough to locate the code unaided, and people trying to spam wouldn't bother spamming here in my view because there's nothing to gain. Spam adverts for mainstream games would have no impact, and if someone's just being a pest then simply find their IP and lock it out if they've a persistent IP address.

On the other hand requiring the entry of a valid email address and asking for a confirmation response is another matter. I don't think it would be a good idea to make the admins vet every single new member, all we can do is try and stop spambots and try to catch as many of any manual spammers as we can. We don't want to shut out new members.

If email response confirmation is used then it could be possible to lock out certain emails of known spammers. They could use alternate email addresses, but pretty quickly they'll run out of them.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-05-24 11:26:42

I must admit, I like the idea of an E-mail authorization, or a text passcode on the joining page, as Cx2 said, both would iliminate spam bots. Human spammers are something that the admins just have to deal with, by muting them or blocking their Ip or whatever, but hopefully we wouldn't get too many of those.

Another suggestion that a couple of people liked is the idea of having separate forums for discussing muds, playing mainstream games with a visual impairement, and audiogames. This would reduce confusion as to which game was being talked about, allow people more choice over what topics they viewed, and promote a wider discussion.

right now, Audiogames, Muds, and main stream games are all discussed in the main general discussion forum, which leads to the problems I highlighted above.

I very much think splitting the forum into these different subject areas would aid in discussion, reduce confusion, and help extremely in the progression of the board.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-05-24 12:08:41

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the suggestions. Although we seriously dislike spam, at the moment we think the audiogames forum is a great place and spam is not a real problem at the time. When things chance, the steps we have to undertake in order to keep this place nice will change, but at the time the abuse of the forum is very low.

We want to keep this place as open as possible (that's why we even have a guest post room, which is quite extraordinary. The guest room is separated in order to keep possible spam at a specific place. All kinds of joining codes and verification methods will make the threshold for joining higher and at the time we disabled these options. I hope we will never need them...

Yesterday a guy joined with an offensive name and posted an offensive message. I removed the thread and banned the user + ip. This was no spammer, but probably an angry brother, class mate or room mate. No big deal, offensive behavior is ban. The rest of you guys are doing great!

Please let us know when a message is offensive and we will delete it.

About the new rooms, how many of you are interested in separated rooms for modding, developing, off topic stuff etc?
Which rooms do you prefer?

Also have a look at the game accessibility forum. Although the subject of this forum is much larger, you can see that the forum is far more complicated.

http://www.game-accessibility.com/forum/

Would you appreciate a poll in order to find out the wishes of the audiogames community?

2006-05-24 13:54:40

i see what you mean... and if i am right the one who was offended by the name is also on this forum.
I'd like to see gamers' opinions about new rooms as well. it would be nice, the only thing about it is that you'll have to browse through a lot of forums to check what's new etc.

2006-05-24 14:20:38

reguarding the spamming, I'm glad there's not a huge amount, and it's nice to see a forum that's easy to join and participate in.

I wasn't thinking of specific rooms for moding or off topic discussion, just rooms about the different sorts of games, but perhaps a pole would sort things out and be democratic as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-05-24 16:13:38

yeah for me modding forums and other topics is not nessesary, it would be a bit easier though if we had forums for muds, audiogames and mainstream games that are somehow playable for blind people.

2006-05-24 16:25:53

That's true for me as well, but I don't know if some of the modding crowd like Archer would want a specific space to be moddern in hehe. Hence need for poleness.