2011-03-26 00:39:14

After almost three months of work, Pontes Backgammon 1.0 has been realized.
This is an on-line and off-line Backgammon game programmed in BGT.
You can play on-line and off-line with a partner in the same room or against the computer. Playing with a partner in the same room, the board turns automatically for white and for black alternately; it’s a good way to have a board at home, cheaper than a physical one.
All the information about this game can be found at www.backgammon.pontes.ro, read first of all the Help Section.

Download Pontes Backgammon 1.0.

The beta is still enabled, you can play entire games for some days without buing the game. In demo mode, after removing the 4th checker from the table, the game closes. The name in demo mode is "DemoTester". The price is just 13 euros. The key is available forever, after reinstalling Windows or changing the PC, we will replace the key with another one and the old one will be disabled.

You can choose a favorite pair of dice during the game, you can listen to your favorite music using the Music Player installed under the board, there is a clock cuckoo and many others.

Available Keystrokes

During the Game:

• F1 opens this Help.

• F2 opens the chat in an on-line game. Escape closes the chat..

• F3 changes the board notation. There are two possibilities: points from 1 to 24 or from 1 to 12 (A for white's side, B for black's side).

• F4 says current point / position.

• F5 rolls the dice. Also the Enter key rolls the dice. When the dice are rolled, these keys says the dice not used.

• F6 chooses your favorite pair of dice.

• F7-F8 set the TTS voice rate.

• F9-F10 adjust the TTS voice volume.

• F11 opens a menu where it's possible to enable / disable the sounds during the game. Use up or down arrows to choose an item, left and right arrows to enable / disable it. For instance "Say all points automatically" option can be disabled after the user is accustomed with the board. Enter saves sounds settings.

• F12 says the current time.

• Space takes or puts down a checker. Using Space also re-enter a checker.

• Delete bears off a checker from the board, when all the checkers are in the home board.

• The arrows move the "cursor" on the table.

• The numbers 1 to 0 makes the "cursor" to jump the corresponding number of points.

• `, the key before numbers, changes the moving direction when using the number keys.

• Home and End move the "cursor" directly to the edges, home in home board, end to the opposite part.

• W says your partner's nickname.

• S announces the score.

• T says the time elapsed since current game started.

• H says how many checkers are in the home boards.

• I says the checkers on the bar.

• O says the checkers removed by players.

• P says the number of moving possibilities.

• X opens the music player.

• Z, X, C, V, B - the functions available in Winamp. N says the current track playing and the number of tracks loaded in the play list.

• Control + S saves current off-line game.

• Control + O opens a saved game.

• Escape closes the game after confirmation and goes into Main Menu.

• Alt + F4 closes the game after confirmation.

Keystrokes in the Chat Section:

• Page-Up / Page-Down: read the messages from history.

• Home or End go to top or bottom of history.

• Insert copies all the messages into clipboard.

• Delete cuts a message from the history.

Read all the information in the Help Section.

Download Pontes Backgammon 1.0

Emanuel Boboiu
Errare humanum est, sed perseverare... diabolicum.
For other games and programs, visit android.pontes.ro or scripts.pontes.ro!

2011-03-26 15:48:39

I have downloaded and played a couple games against the computer. I like it so far, but have a few suggestions:
1. When the computer's turn is finished, I would like to have the game position you on your farthest out piece, rather than the spot the computer ended at.
2. There really needs to be an undo option, if you pick up a piece and then realize that you didn't intend to do that move. Same for if you move one piece, then realize you ment to move it six instead of 4, for example.
3. Rather than just having an endless set opf games, I would like to choose when starting the game if I want a single game, or a best of three, five, or seven series.

I think those are all my suggestions for now. Otherwise, the game is great.
I would recommend that you work on automating the registration process also.

2011-03-26 22:22:49

Thanks for suggestions.
I didn't an undo  option because I thought not to be a problem in online games, like at chess, the other partner to get andry with that who made an undo. But, you are right, in offline games it's ok, I will do this in 1.1 version.
To remain on the last point when you moved a checker, of course, I will do, there are just anohter 5 lines of code.

I didn't an automatic registration to be secure the unlock system.
Thanks again for your suggestion, they were clear and objective.

I will also do in 1.1:
The best from a number of games.
Copy a transcript of the game.
An higher level when playing against the computer.

Emanuel Boboiu

2011-03-27 17:24:26

Hello,

Except some typos, the project is just great. Some suggestions:

You may add the shift key as a modifier that will reverse the functions of numbers that are being used for moving the cursor correspondingly. (the ` key is already being used as a toggler for this process but some users might find my idea more convenient).

Somewhere on a setting sequence, when you accept the settings, the program informing you by saying 'Setting changed temporary'. Instead, it should say something like "Settings temporarily changed", or "Temporary settings have been saved". Correct me if I'm wrong because English is not my native language. wink

I also have a question: Do the demo limitations affect us when we play against the computer?

Regards,
SplendidFault

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-03-27 20:05:40 (edited by Manu 2011-03-27 20:10:33)

Thanks for suggestions.
My English is not so good, but in the next stabile version the messages will be corrected by a better English speaker.
Yes, you are right, shift key is better to change direction, I will add it.

When a new version is available, a message will appear at start. If the answer for "Do you want to update"  question is Yes, the download dialog box appears.

Until beta testing is enabled, all the games can be played until finish.
I already did for the next version the computer games not to be interrupted in demo mode, it's a good way for new players to practice a little.

Something new for today:
There are available statistics: how many games were played, the total duration and others like this.
Pontes Backgammon Statistics

I think the best thing in this game is the orientation, it's like a real backgammon table.
Thanks again

Emanuel Boboiu

2011-03-27 21:38:23

hi, I think you should have some kind of learn game sounds menu, or at least when you're moving through the enable/disable sounds thing havet it play the sounds it's aling about as you move through it.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-03-28 00:59:04

Yes Pitermach, I did this evening what you said, in Sounds Settings.
Now, when up or down arrows are pressed, if the sound is already enabled it can be heard, otherwise not. When pressing left or right arrows, the corresponding sound is heard or not, depending of status. This way it's more suggestive.

Emanuel Boboiu

2011-03-28 16:48:32

I found a couple bugs. If you have the board set in 1-24 notation, if you exit and restart the game, both sides are labeled 1-12, but with no letter. It is necessary to toggle the board mode back and forth to get the notation to read properly.
Also, saved games to not save the score between you and the opponent, it just reports a score of 0-0 when reloading the game.
Why did you make it that only .ogg files can be played in the music player? I would highly recommend that mp3 files be playable as well.

2011-03-28 21:27:10

Hi Quasar,

This could be said to be my fault. The BGT engine does not support MP3 files, for legal reasons. MP3 is a very protected format, with patents left right and center and licensing fees to pay. This is why I have chosen not to include MP3 support in BGT. MP3 files are not very good for game audio in general either, as they do not loop properly for example. So while it makes sense in terms of a music player, it does not for games.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2011-03-29 19:44:04

Hello Quasar,
I didn't think to save the score, but, of course it's possible, I will try to add for the 1.0 stable version, it will be launched on 31 of March.
Also the notation bug I will fix, this was also found by another player.
Thanks

Emanuel Boboiu

2011-03-30 00:33:38

Hah, 13 EUR? um, good joke really.

But anyway, good luck!

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2011-03-30 01:15:11

Actually, Azabat software had a backgammon game a few years ago for about the same price which had no main menu, no possibility of playing multiple games with the computer keeping track of score, no online play, etc. I think this price is actually reasonable all things considered.

2011-03-30 01:30:11

Maybe it depends of the region. I am from Romania, not a so developed country, but I bought a BGT Pro Single for $125, Super Tennis for $20 etc.
Of course, if someone likes Backgammon... this is not so expensive. In some countries, you have to pay 13 euros for a pizza and a juice.
A physical backgammon table is about 35 euros, but you can not play whit a friend when he or she is not with you in the same place.

Emanuel Boboiu

2011-03-30 04:10:59

seal wrote:

Hah, 13 EUR? um, good joke really.

But anyway, good luck!

Yeah, and that's great criticism. How about why it's not worth that much? Saying you don't like something is just the same as not saying anything; we don't have a clue why it's "a good joke really"

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-03-30 10:19:51

OK, maybe it's just me, but I can not figure out how to move my peaces. When I press the space key on my peace, it just makes an error sound.
I did manage to move my peace once, but after that the space bar did absolutely nothing at all, so I quit the game. Anyone else having these problems?

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-03-30 11:15:35

When a piece is movable, it makes a short beep. An eror sound is when the checkers on that point are not playable.
When you have the piece in hand, another short beep is heard on the point where it's a correct move.
The game is tested by at least 15 players and nobody said this.

Is it still the same? Did you try again?
   Thanks

Emanuel Boboiu

2011-03-30 11:28:22

I think I was trying to move peaces I couldn't move. haha Sorry, my mistake.
Can't wait to see further development on this, I've really grown to love this game (the game of Back Gammon that is)

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-03-30 11:36:20

Well, only for me paying this kind of money for this kind of game is something like joke. Actually, sadly or not every not blind user can play this game for free in many places, only we must paying for every small games big prices, life is brutall, nothing more. Some of you can understand it, and some not telling me i only want to give stupid critisism.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2011-03-30 11:36:49

Please read the backgammon rules first to know how to play backgammon, if you don't know playing it already. If you know the rules, then continue reading.

The author of this game has written 2 separate system for navigating on the board. The first system divides the board into 2 sections: A and B, which each section consists of 12 points. The second system shows the board as it is, by numbering each points from 1 to 24. You toggle between the systems by pressing F3.

Feel free to ask if you still need help on your problem.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-03-30 23:54:47

I launched another 1.0 version (31 March 2011).
A question about updating wil appear for those who has already installed the version realised on 25 March. If Yes button is pressed, the Run/Save dialog will appear.

The direct download link is here

Change log:

1. Added Shift Key to change the direction when moving using number keys. (thanks SplendidFault)
2. When it's your turn, the "cursor" is on the same point when you moved before the online partner or computer moved. (thanks Quasar)
3. The sound for middle of the board or edges of the board is another one, not like iron, something closer to wood. (thanks Grifnas)
4. The score is kept when loading saved games. (thanks Quasar and Ludi)
5. There are specific sounds when a partner is available as host or when a partner asks if you want to play with him or her. (thanks Gruia)
6. The sounds are played in the Sounds Settings option. (thanks Pitermach)
7. The Very Easy level is available for entire games in demo mode. (thanks SplendidFault)
8. Bug fixed when saving board notation. (thanks Grifnas and Quasar)

www.backgammon.pontes.ro

Emanuel Boboiu

2011-03-31 01:58:44 (edited by staindaddict 2011-03-31 02:04:23)

Couple things I'd like to see added are a new difficulty, or maybe even two new difficulties. Also, the ability to decide if you want to be black peaces or white peaces.
Oh, and one more thing.. The ability to undo moves, or cancel them. For example, if you pick up a peace you didn't want to/by accident, you can go back to the same square and press space on it to return it back to it's place.

2011-03-31 05:23:20

Sorry for the double post, but I ran into another problem.
After pressing host game/wait for partner, the game starts, but no one is there. You hear the board being set up, and everything is set up for a regular game, but it's only you there. This has happened every time I've tried to host a game.
Not sure about this either, but when I clicked on connect to a game, I couldn't connect to my partner. Is something wrong? Anyone else experiencing this?

2011-03-31 13:58:34

Hi Ryan,
Yep. I get the message "demotester is not longer available". In addition to that, there appears to be an option called "choose a partner", but when you press enter on it all you get is a buzzer.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-03-31 14:49:41

Yeah, it's like your partner disappears or something And then the one where the game gets set up and everything, it's almost like you've connected to yourself.

2011-03-31 22:58:02 (edited by Manu 2011-03-31 23:01:07)

Hello,

When you choose Hosta New Game and Wait for A partner, the board is set up and you are waiting. In that moment you are visible for those who chooses the option Search for a Hosted Game. When someone presses enter on your name, you will be asked if you want to play with hime or her, also a door knock will be heard. If you press Yes, the game will start, if No is chosen, you will continue to wait for another partner.

"Choose a partner" is shown when there is at least one partner in the option Search for a Hosted Game, it's like a title for that list, it is not an option. DemoTester is the name for those who didn't register the game.
If you go to host a new game, after you exit in the menu, and you go quickly to Search for a Partner, the DemoTester who appears is you, but the message is "Partner is Not longer available", of course, you are not longer available because you are not waiting there any more. You will appear as a hosted game maximum 2 minutes if you exit the hosted game.

We did this game first of all to be the possibility to play backgammon online. It's a very old game and we are here many people who likes it very much. Also in Romania there is a national backgammon championship for blind people.
However, in 1.1 version will be higher difficulty levels when playing with computer and other things.

Emanuel Boboiu