2011-03-21 02:45:46 (edited by Aprone 2011-03-22 00:15:19)

I've missed working on games fellas, I really have.  I still don't have time to finish up the games I've promised, but I found myself with free time this afternoon.  I made a math related post earlier today because I was mulling around a few math puzzle ideas.  I knew I had this entire afternoon with nothing else to do, so I had to come up with something simple enough that I could code the whole thing within that time.  Hopefully that doesn't mean this will be riddled with bugs ROFL!

When I'm stuck at my boring day job, I try to bring puzzles and stuff with me to help the time pass faster.  Unfortunately, I am limited to only puzzles I can do in my head since I would get into trouble if I was seen scribbling on paper rather than lugging heavy boxes out of the trucks.  One of my most favorite puzzle types to take to work is a logic puzzle generated by a computer program I made years ago.  They can be quite difficult, but it occurred to me that if I can do the puzzles without writing things down, then they might lend themselves to being made accessible.  smile

I've only coded 2 puzzles into the game for now, but it should be more than enough to keep someone busy.  Keep in mind that these puzzles are not for the faint of heart... they are designed to make you really think!  At first glance you may think they are math puzzles, but in truth there is very little need for any mathematical equations.  If you think things through carefully, you'll be fine.

Oh, in the game's introduction I forgot to mention that the H key will give you a hint about the specific clue.
I went through both puzzles and solved them myself to make sure neither stood out as being overly difficult.

www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/puzzledivided.zip (v0.2 beta - 5.32MB - Last updated 3/21/2011)

P.S. I've gone back and added in 2 more puzzles.  In my personal opinion, puzzles 3 and 4 are easier than 1 and 2.
On puzzle 3 I fixed a typo that caused the hint on clue 11 to tell you I was smaller than T when it should be reversed.
I've added a small voice that announces the clue number as you scroll through them.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-03-21 13:59:29

Hi Jeremy,
Cool. I'll hhave to take a look at this one.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-03-21 22:51:07

this thing is kind of cool. It is really hard to find out where to start without the hint though,

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-03-21 23:07:44

I'm tempted to add in a voice saying "Clue #2", "Clue #3" as you move through the clues, that way people could more easily help each other.  At the moment you can't easily tell someone to focus on a particular clue without taking the time to write it all out.

Do you think I should post a mp3 of me working through one of the puzzles?  It would use up one of the 4 current puzzles but it might help some people.  Pretty much each puzzle requires a different way of thinking though, so walking through one of the puzzles wouldn't ruin the challenge of solving the rest.  tongue  Hmm, I might make a recording later if I have time and then decide whether or not to post it.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-22 00:54:11

Sorry about the double post.  For anyone interested, here is a recording to walk you through the 3rd puzzle.  This might give you some tips and tricks to help you solve the others.

www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/puzzle3.wma

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-22 02:37:28

I wish you had not just talked and actually you had used the program, instead of just talking, because I kind of don't get what you are mentioning as you go through, and also, i usually listen to walkthroughs when Im not using the program.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-03-22 03:24:41

Why don't you code the computer program into the game so it can make random puzzles?

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2011-03-22 03:41:44

KeyIsFull, good point I probably should have done that.  I was worried it would be confusing to hear me speaking along with my voice in the game at the same time.  For the future I'll try to remember to record walk throughs with the game sound also.

harrylst, I might do just that.  I wasn't sure if anyone would even like this particular type of puzzle so I went for the fast and simple approach to designing it.  Another reason I added them manually was to ensure that none of the puzzles were too difficult.  At their current difficulty, each of the 4 puzzles only take me between 5 and 15 minutes to solve (keep in mind I've had a lot of practice with these).  My program has generated some very difficult ones though, I remember having a couple that literally took me days to solve!  I didn't want to unnecessarily discourage people away from the game if the random puzzle just happened to be super hard.

If someone finishes the puzzles I'll gladly add more or even add in a random puzzle option.
Has anyone noticed any bugs yet?  I didn't really take any time to hunt for errors.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-23 04:54:50

You say these puzzles aren't that hard. I kind of disagree there. I can't even figure out puzzle 1.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-03-23 14:01:04

Hi,
Well...he did say Puzzle 3 was easier, so give that one a whilr?

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-03-23 18:33:37

Well Stewie, it is all relative lol.  I did each puzzle beforehand to make sure they weren't too difficult, but I did warn everyone ahead of time that these puzzles are hard and not for the faint of heart.  Even an easy version of one of these puzzles is pretty hard.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-16 23:55:34

awesome work
no,   your record  veryhelpful for newbies
so keep going,