2006-04-06 12:44:32

i didn't post this the moment i got it because i wanted to keep it a little secret for a while, but now i am gonna need to post it before it bursts:
i have joined x-sight interactive as the documentation writer.
it's all been resolved, but i am still curious to what all you guys think.
Damien thinks it's unprofecienal (i know it's spelt wrong), to tell people what persition you are in the company. i on the other hand think that's not too bad. i mean every company is unique in some way (not just games),
why can't we be the first company to say who's doing what!
so who's point do you agree with: mine or damien's?
i dont want to offend you damien, i am just curious (and i am sure you may be too) what these guys think of our little discussion about this. i just couldn't hold it in!
but to me it's info you can give away. the info you can't give away is, erm... like, who's getting thrown out (you can't give that to the public!) or if there's a private beta available (no way, i will never give that away!)

2006-04-06 13:11:34

First I'll say that plenty of companies have a "who's who" section, and mainstream companies make no secret of who does what when members of their development team are being interviewed. What isn't spoken is internal politics and friction.

Secondly I think a better topic title could have been chosen, it makes you sound like you need the toilet tongue

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-04-06 13:47:53

lol. hehe.
i am hoping x-sight will see this later on -- so please put more replies guys, we'll see who wins. (well not win, but ya know...)

2006-04-06 13:52:11

terminator (those who use freedom chat will know who i am talking about) agrees with me -- he says i have a strong point.

2006-04-06 14:58:41

Guys, every company divide the work, if there are more than one person in it.
About who programmed this, who wrote the xxx module, who programmed the sounds, they are informations, which the public really not interested. They just would like to play, and thats all.
So, i agree fully with damien, and i am posting not for this tupid "tigger vs dizzy_demon championship" lol, i am do it, because every company have to start somewhere.
I know aaron, that you are really happy now, because you can do lots of things, write manuals, etc, but then what... I mean, even if you are programming games, you are a programmer, but the others wont care about what is yyour status in it.
And another thing, is that you can't hold it any longer, well, you will hopefully encounter situations, where you must do it.
In the other hand, i am glad, you can do something, and not just wield your darth vader mask, and breathe like him, lol, just kidding.
hth,
rj.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-04-06 14:59:43

its good wee have such a miticulus doccummentasion writer.  i like that he also nose what to talk about in his topics, he always nose exactly waht to write.

James

2006-04-06 18:47:23

wow james!
ok, robjoy, my point is, all companies are unique. i could try to get damien to put a section up on the websight about "who's who", because certain people (like cx2) might be interested, just might.

2006-04-06 23:57:06

Hi, I could put such a section up. As of now your name isnt on the website...Wait...Shhh...I can't talk about top secret information on the audio games forum... lol

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2006-04-07 01:32:34

I'll just say that I'm not especially bothered about who's performing what duties myself, just mentioned that when I used to read interviews with team members working on mainstream games it would always make a point of saying what position they held. In that context it was useful, knowing what perspective the guy was talking from (marketing, management, programming/level design or whatever else). I also just wanted to point out that, at least in the mainstream, it has never been considered sensitive as to who's doing what... in fact in the credits, either in game or in the manual, it always specifically said the roles of everyone involved.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-04-07 13:08:02

if i am still docwriter, i may put it also in the documentation (if i still am)

2006-04-07 20:00:29

yeh, maybe. but think of bavisoft; we don't know everyone in bavisoft. yes, maybe in the credits it'll say people that they've hired, or beta testers, people like that, and sometimes the main person, but not everybody.

2006-04-08 02:30:19

At the end of the day people like me who are outside of your company aren't overly bothered whether you make a full list of who did what available, we're more interested in the games. In the mainstream it could be important if anyone ever wants to move on to another job, and some people just like to get a mention for something they've worked on. In short:
Do what you like because there's nothing overly wrong with either.

cx2
-----

2006-04-08 07:20:41

it does say in the top speed readme if you look closely it says who creates the sounds and all. i don't really care about who does what, either.

2006-04-08 13:54:01

There is no "right" way to do things. Each company operates differently. If we all did the same, then customers would not have choices. Just remember that you will never be able to please everyone. Best wishes and good luck.

2006-04-08 21:58:31

That's true. And besides, does it really matter?

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-04-09 05:15:51

I'll say this again, this issue doesn't particularly affect or bother players so the only people that matter in the decision are you in the company. Do you want your names (or nicknames) attached with who did what? Or do you feel uncomfortable with that, perhaps because of being self conscious or wanting to be more humble? Either is fine, and us players frankly don't care as long as you don't do something silly like make us listen to half a dozen names every tinme we start the game... which I don't think you'd be doing anyway.

cx2
-----

2006-04-09 13:02:27

i wouldn't mind having either aaron or tigger on the websight. doing the docwriter. ("aaron: docwriter.")

2006-04-10 21:24:51

I can't believe I just read this whole thread. For some strange reason I clicked on this topic and wasted 3 minutes of my life. I'm sorry to be rude but really folks. If someone is proud of there new role in a company and they are a member of the AG community who... cares... It's an exciting thing to help on projects and you should be proud. I also agree with James.
And last but not least. Congratulations Aaron.
bb

2006-04-11 13:16:34

See Boyer?
Thats why you are working in light tech.
Cheers!
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-04-11 18:27:49

thanks guys. i think i have realized now that it really doesn't matter, but michaelmay put the section up, but you can all avoid it if ya want. which you probably will do. but i am nearly always curious as to who does what, but... well... never mind.