2006-04-03 13:18:19

hello,
today while browsing the forum popups keep coming up. it's not just this sight that does it, though. we tried scanning with spybot and add-aware but nothing came up, we tried the windows security center scan but that didn't work, well it found threats but still they keep coming.
i even got something to do with win fixer 2006, an automated download came up! i dont trust it! anyone please give me a real good program to help me, or a good way to solve these. i am saying this in this topic because i was reading this forum.
thanks.

2006-04-03 13:19:43

oh my god i just got one as soon as i submited that post! one about dating arg this is getting worse! i hate popups! screw them! exterminate them!destroy them!
i get popups about dating, popups about mobile phones... stuff that does not interest me one little bit! gur! gur! gur! i realy need help!

2006-04-03 16:00:09

Maybe you should update your spybot and addaware and windows xp sp2 has some kind of popup blocker.

2006-04-03 16:12:39

Hello,
At first, download webroot spysweeper, i believe it is from
www.webroot.com
and scan your system for spywares, and other malicious programs.
Second, install winXp sp2, it has a great pop-up blocker, comparing to microsoft's other products, lol.
Deleting the cookies may help if this two steps didn't solve the problem, note you have to re-login to audiogames.net's forums again, since it uses cookies, so you'll need your password for it.
All right, thats all for now, hope this helps.
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-04-03 20:26:54

Just for the record: THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT USE POP-UPS OF ANY KIND!

2006-04-03 20:27:08

Hi,
That winfixer thing is anoying spyware. Don't download it! These pop-ups arent webbrowsers, so a popup stopper won't help. You can stop them though by stopping the "messenger" service. You can do this by opening "computer management" from the "administrative tools" in the "control panel". There you can get a list of running services. Stop the service called "messenger" and set the startup mode to manual. This will stop these pop-ups from appearing.
Next install some anti-spyware and anti-virus tools. The best I know is hitman pro 2, but I don't know if it's accessible.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Davy

2006-04-03 21:33:29

Dump Internet Explorer and start using Firefox. No more changed home pages, no more popups, no more spyware, no more keyloggers. And I'm not even getting payed for saying this... smile

2006-04-04 04:56:17

Firefox use is dependant on screen reader version. I'm still on Jaws 4.51 and so can only use IE for example, unless someone's on the latest version there's no chance of using Firefox... and at the prices of screen readers many people don't upgrade often if at all.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-04-04 12:49:48

hal is not accessible with firefox. and what does it do if i stop the messenger service? and setting startup mode to manual? i am quite new to these options.

2006-04-04 12:50:59

and davie, i already sort of knew about winfixer being spyware, and yesterday, i loaded up the internet and i dont know where but i got information about a virus that hit the net april 2006. if this is true i might be unlucky. we have spybot and avg free. fior spyware and anti virus.

2006-04-05 02:32:02

I could be wrong, but I think stopping the messenger service stops the built in Windows network messenger. This isn't the same as MSN messenger, it's been around for ages and was designed to send messages over a local network. In Win XP this messenger service is running by default in the background, there was an equivelant in some of the older 9x versions of Windows called WinPopup I believe, but this had to be started deliberately.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.