2011-02-08 09:33:02

Realizing that I am very new to this forum, and, also realizing that I will probably have my head handed to me, I must say this anyway.  i'm not so sure what this carma thing is, but, if I counted on votes to be popular, I'd never get anywhere.  My thought is either people will like you, or they won't.  as for me, I try to treat everyone as I would wish to be treated.  I want people to like me, but, I'm not going to lose any sleep if they dont.  i just thought the silly carma thing was there to either agree with an idea or no, or,...to say, "Good idea,  wordes well said" Don't let the little things upset you.  Life's full of harder stuff. *smile*

There is way too much blood in my caffine system!  I require coffee in great amounts for total thought processes.

2011-02-08 17:25:14

OK...I must admit I'm not so sure about this Karma system as well. I suggest we get rid of it. Are there any strong arguments against this step?
I've disabled this plugin.

2011-02-08 19:08:17

As I said, i liked the positive bit of giving someone a thank you when they post something helpful, that's the way the core exiles forum works.

but from people's opinions here, it seems people are more concerned over the negative aspect.

i'd personally be most in favour of just disabling the thumbs down links, so that karma can only be given and not taken away, but if that's not possible then we can certainly do without the system.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-02-08 19:23:19

Let it   Let it go! No karma system!

2011-02-08 21:12:31

People are obsesed about it, that's their problem. :-D But i agree with Dark's summary: If it is impossible to disable just the thumbs down links for any reason, which I would prefer, then let it go entirely. I always try to take negative feedback as motivation to improve myself but there are people who don't like or understand this, of course. :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-02-08 21:31:27

Well, I will confess that clicking something that says "Thank you" or "great idea" takes only a second, but, one could always just drop a quick note to say those things, right? or, reply to the post and say so.  that's just my take on it.  I like to communicate, but, I realize there are those who really don't. *smile*

There is way too much blood in my caffine system!  I require coffee in great amounts for total thought processes.

2011-02-09 01:40:49

Well coffee, the karma system is comparatively new, I think it's only been in sinse about the start of december or so, and I think people aren't used to it's use.

On the core exiles forum, there is a "give a gift" link beside posts.which notes a thank you.

Actually, I think I only gave negative karma to one person, and that only for a comment I thought extremely unpleasant, but people seem more concerned about it than need be really, and if it's going to cause this much hastle for people, just forgetit and we will have to stick with being honest about commenting on other people's posts favourably ornot rather than giving an anonymous wrating, ---- as indeed we have for a long time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-02-09 09:28:50

What I liked about the karma system was the idea of a new person joining this community and seeing posts from some of the more enlightened members such as Dark, Cx2, Aprone, you name it... Their high karma rating would prove that this person is probably respected among the gamers, trustworthy and knows what they are talking about. Without the thumbs down capability, I believe it could still be very useful with no disadvantages. Someone will always be more popular and better regarded than others, even if there is no actual number such as the karma rating to compare this and it's only a fact we all know in our own minds, and there's nothing anyone could do about this. :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-02-09 11:14:59

Well, it is true people will form their own opinions anyway, in fact whenever I try a new forum or mailing list myself, I do tend to get a sense reasonably quickly about who tends to know what they are talkig about and who does not, and most forums always show number of posts and first joined date which at least lets you know how long a person has been around and how much they contribute, in fact I imagine just as a human tendency people (including me), will tend to give a bit more considderation to members with high post counts who've been around for a while, karma or no karma, so on this basis karma just seems to formalize something people do anyway.

2011-02-09 11:39:19

Well, Aprone racked up a lot of karma in a short time, so I have to imagine he's one case where the system would have a use over join date and post count.

Negative karma doesn't really seem like it'd tell anything that a new user couldn't pick up quickly anyway. A lot of posts have gotten thumbs down for poor English and super-shortness, both of which are more obvious at a glance than the popular things for which people tend to get higher karma. I also wouldn't be surprised if some people have been giving thumbs up to some posts that they noticed got a thumbs down they felt it didn't deserve--I imagine that wouldn't be a problem if the thumbs down option were removed.

But really, I think the problem is as Lukas says--people just take it too seriously. It gives an idea of the sorts of posts people like and dislike, which would theoretically contribute to the improvement in overall post quality. If members with extremely low karma are driven off, one could argue that would improve overall post quality, but it would diminish the community (and as much as I appreciate a community that isn't flooded with strangers, this community could benefit from decent numbers).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-02-09 12:33:56

If the thumbs down link were removed and there were an option to view the posts for which you received the most thumbs up this could be a useful tool for judging what posts people appreciate the most.

Bear in mind that I only had 6 karma lol, though I never knew which posts they were for. If I did I could take that as a way to improve my posts in the future.

I think the idea is that for people who aren't as communicative instead of sending a PM or replying they can simply hit a "like" link to give feedback without having to actually interact with anyone. Of course these things can go wonky but so can anything.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-02-09 14:09:39

Even though I had 60 pluss Karma, I wasn't overly certain which posts it was for, though this was more due to me being inattentive and skipping to the replies to my posts by other people, sinse than anything else.

i personally was happy enough with the system sinse as has been said, it was a way for a good reliable new member to get recognition, and I personally didn't tend to give thumbs down often anyway, ---- another reason why i suggested it be removed if possible, sinse frankly the best way to improve people's English and post quality is to set a good example yourself, and maybe give them a polite pointer once in a while, with emphasis on the polite, and the while, forums where every post gets hundreds of replies nit picking about grammar and spelling can be most irritating!

Either way, I presume if Sander reads this thread, he'll see if there is a way to have Karma without the negative, and if not we'll just get by.

2011-02-09 14:29:12

Picking at peoples english is just plain uncalled for. If necessary ask for clarification but politely, at least that's how I handle it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-02-09 17:32:34

ANother suggestion is to just have an option in your profile not to view your karma, if people are unhappy with it.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2011-02-10 04:04:11

Well, i can't see as it has affected me in any way.  I kind of feel sorry for those who get their feelings hurt over it, but, the thing is everyone  forms oppinions,...some good, some not so good.  The only way to really know what a person is about is to take the time to get to know them.  It's not the writing that matters, but more the thought that is conveyed behind the keystroke.  That's just my oppinion. *warm smile*   Anyway, I hope all of you are having a wonderful day.