2006-03-28 23:01:24

Well, I finally got around to downloading the Beta of Star Trek Final Conflict. I've already discovered what I think could be a bug, but I hesitate to report it since I have a feeling my processor might not be as fast as they recommend. What usually happens is I'll get my move set up the way I want it, but then when I hit Engage the game sort of locks up. There's no sound or anything except for the bridge ambiance. Then again I couldn't report it anyway since the only address on the USA Games site is the sales department. I was going to ask about Jedi Strike and find out if it had actually been shelved Anyway, has anyone else had this problem that I'm talking about? The game sounds really cool and so I'd hate to have to give it up just because of something that could conceivably be corrected. Oh well, maybe if my laptop's fast enough I'll try it on there. Of course I have to buy it first...

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-03-29 00:15:28

If you want to report it email sales; they will respond since after all it is the only way to contact the company. (they responded to me)

James

2006-03-30 03:33:54

I've had something similar happen to me, and I've had this with all versions of the game. During a move, I would lose all sound, all of it. Then, a couple of seconds afterward, it would come back. I can't say it is a system compatibility problem, either, since I've got pretty much the newest one there is. On second thought, do you lose effects permanently, or do they come back after a while? If that's the situation, you just might not have enough memory to hold all the sounds. If that's the case, I can only suggest getting a newer system. As for contacting Tom, I think you might find that joining his discussion list would be worth it. There are a lot of interesting topics in there. Anyway, that's my version.

Regards, Albano.

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2006-03-30 05:06:04

No. What happens is I'll set up a move, then when I click engage the game seems to lock up. It doesn't freeze the computer except that when I quite the game with Alt+F4, JAWS won't load properly. What happens is I'll click Engage and I won't get any response. I'll still hear the bridge ambiance but nothing else. This only happens when I actually try to make my ships move from one position to another. If I just change the direction I'm facing it doesn't seem to cause problems, but once I found a Kardassian starship and I was going to find and destroy it. It was about 40 light years from me and it was to the East. I set it to head East at maximum warp, then hit Engage and the game sort of locked up. I'm thinking of trying it on my laptop once I get it and seeing what happens then. Admittedly my both mine and my mom's computer are rather old. They're old enough to have Pentium2 processors (although I don't know if that's the problem). This one's got 256 megabytes and I think that's what they recommended. I'm also running Windows 98, but I have the latest versions of both DirectX and the .net framework. Now my own personal computer has both a Multichannel sound card and 320 Meg, but it's dead right at the moment. Like I said I'll just have to try it on my laptop once I get that and see how it works.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-03-30 06:33:47

Locutus wrote:

I've had something similar happen to me, and I've had this with all versions of the game. During a move, I would lose all sound, all of it. Then, a couple of seconds afterward, it would come back. I can't say it is a system compatibility problem, either, since I've got pretty much the newest one there is. On second thought, do you lose effects permanently, or do they come back after a while? If that's the situation, you just might not have enough memory to hold all the sounds. If that's the case, I can only suggest getting a newer system. As for contacting Tom, I think you might find that joining his discussion list would be worth it. There are a lot of interesting topics in there. Anyway, that's my version.

Regards, Albano.

I'd just point out that system compatibility issues have nothing to do with system age, they occur because of differences between one piece of hardware and another. There's as much chance of a brand new computer being incompatible because of this weirdness as an old one, the reason older computers aren't always compatible is lack of feature support which shouldn't be an issue here. Also you don't need a new system to increase your memory, RAM is quite cheap if you know how to fit it yourself.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-03-31 03:58:22

True, but personally I think it is better to simply get a newer system altogether rather than starting to rebuild it bit by bit. However, that's just me talking.

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2006-03-31 05:44:47

A ram upgrade is simply sticking one little card in, possibly taking an old one out if there's not enough slots. As long as you know (or can find out) what sort you need then it's fairly cheap and takes 2 minutes.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.