2011-01-21 16:24:32

hi,
i am currently studying in a highschool in around grade 10, (around 14 years).
as in 1 of the I T courses, there is a project that of making  our own websight (offline).
so i want help on html tags, their usage, how to use them, most common tags, etc.
any help will be appriciated.
thanks,
sid.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-01-21 18:33:31

hi Sid.

Well I'm no expert. I know a litle bit of formatting and how to add things like links, lists and images to pages so that I can update the database entries, but I would probably have to go off and do some research if I wanted to write my own site, certainly there are people on this forum like Cx2 dand ductail who know a good bit more than me.

For general info though you can check this page on wikipedia which has a list of some common tags.

I'll try and explain what I know though.

Basically, all html tags take the form of some lower case letters betwene a less than and greater than sign (shift comma and shift full stop on your keyboard). You write that code at the start of what your doing, then when you've finished, you write the same again witha slash to show that it's finished.

So to take a simple example, you can't just bang enter for a line break. If you want to write a paragraph, you use less than p greater than, then when you've finished less than slash p greater than.

eg: <p> This is the text wich makes up the paragraph </p>
The same goes for riting headers, ---- eg <h1> this is a big fat header </h1> or colours, bold or italic text and even lists and links.

You write a link in a very similar way to using bb code. less than a which starts the link, h ref equals the web address, which tells the program that the next thing is a web address, greater than after the address, the text of your link such as click here, and then less than slash a greater than to finish it.

For instance <a href=www.audiogames.net> click here to go to audiogames.net </a>

The important bit is to always remember to close your tags with the slash command, sinse leaving them open can make things go very screwy indeed, this is particularly necessary when you've got multiple tags used together, such as a list of links, sinse you need to remember to open the over all list tag less than ul greater than, write each list item, less than li greater than write each link and close it, close the individual list item with less than slash li greater than, then finally when your all finished close the list with less than slash ul greater than.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-01-21 18:40:58

take a look at
this website
and view source, its imple

2011-01-21 18:54:45

thank you dark,
well they are the commonly used tags, though.
but, like in the websight, designing of a spaciffic tags like tables,lists, forms, sounds, and a database seems rather difficult.
and i've also looked through several examples on the net and each one is different from the others in either way...
regards,
sid.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-01-21 20:58:20

Hi Sid.

i'm afraid I had no idea what you did or did not know, hence why I started symple, also i personally am no expert in html especially when it comes to databases and the like.

Lists and tables are easy enough, just a matter of employing standard tags, ---- not sure about the rest sinse I've never tried to write a form in html.

robla however has designed his own site which works very well, so I'd suggest checking the resources he mentioned as a good start.

As to difference in examples, well often there are different ways to do the same thing. To take a very basic example, if you want a blank line you can use the <br> code, or just put a paragraph with no text, <p> </p> which will have the same effect though the tags used are different.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-01-21 22:37:50

databasing is extremely hard in html!
that's why i switched to wordpress. big_smile

2011-01-22 06:47:45

Hi.You might want to search on google,for the turms like,learn html basic html and such.There is a site I can't seem to remember its name,but it showed you how to do the simple stuff,as well as the advance.
Anyways I searched now,and found that site.
www.w3schools.com/html/html_intro.asp.
It'll take you through how to create tables, forms and such.Just go through the site above.
Hope that helps.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-01-22 08:45:34

With forms, it depends largely on what you want to do with them.
Databases are better handled with a cgi or php resource, and going from html/javascript to those hasn't worked out for me yet. ^^

The thing with forms is that you can label each element and attach a bit of code to them.
So, You'd start with something like:

<ul>
<form name="myform" action='handleForm()'>
<li/>Name: &nbsp; <input type="namebox" type="text" size=15 />
<li/>Month: &nbsp; <select name="monthselect">
   <option value="jan">January</option>
  <option value="feb">February</option>
<!-- And so on... -->
</select>
<li/>  <input type="submit" value="submit" onclick='handleForm()' />
</form>
</ul>

You'd need to define a javascript for handling the form, though.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-23 17:27:11

w3 schools
have some pretty good html tutorials, also some basic php, asp and javascript if that's your thing. If I remember right they also have css. That'll give you an ok start.

2011-01-23 17:51:53

it's worth saying that If you want to include sounds on sites it may effect loading times. And also not all browsers work with the built in sound tag of html. IE will work fine, but firefox will ignore those.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-01-23 17:54:56

Firefox will use the embed tag fine if I remember right.
Just avoid using BGSound, as that's old and deprecated.

2011-01-24 09:32:26

For a look at the kind of things WordPress can do, feel free to check out ElliottB.net . I like WP for several reasons, the most of which being that you don't really have to worry about styling - it does it all for you, pretty much.