2011-01-16 05:52:56

I recently listened to an audio movie and had some questions about what is good and bad about them. I was wondering who listens to audio movies most? Those who were born VI, those who became VI or and equal mix of both? After listening to a movie do you often feel like you missed something, didn’t understand something or that the descriptions were lacking in some way?

Do you care to hear detailed descriptions, such as the “long cobble stone road” or do you just want to hear “long stone road”? Do you care to hear what the characters look like? For example, facial hair, shape of face, height, hair length or hair style.

Do you want to hear more about a room than the size and décor style? For example, how much furniture, the fabrics of the room, amount of windows or a fireplace.

I’m interested to know if it would be valuable to you during a movie to be able to push a key to hear extra background information, a small explanation about what has been going on or how the current situation is linked to something that happened earlier that you might have missed or forgotten?

This may sound like a silly question. Do you associate or compare people to sounds, smells or textures to help you remember them? Even if what you associate them to doesn’t really make sense. How also would you describe a person to someone who has never met them? I would expect your description to be different for people associated to you in different ways. You may choose a different way of describing a family member than you would a co-worker or friend. For example, I might have more detail or more to describe about my sister than I would a co-worker because I know her better and I know more about her. To help me (or you) to understand this better Please do me a favor and try to describe to me each: a family member (tell me how they are related to you), a co-worker and a friend.

I know this is a lot to ask but I greatly appreciate any help you may be able to provide me.

2011-01-16 09:07:34

An interesting question nepture, but to be honest one I think where the ultimate answer will depend more on the individual themselves than any sort of universal truth about blind/vi people.

Myself, sinse I have remaining vision, I am not too keen on just! the audio without the pictures. I enjoy audio description, but only in a conventional film where I can also use my site to see what's going on.

for me, the audio description serves the purpose of both highlighting details which I visually may miss, eg, designs, furniture, or details not obvious in the context of what is happening, and especially in fast action sequences, so there is a lot of mileage in me seeing a film like troi or transformers with audio description, as visually about the most I could tell in for instance a sword fight is that someone was being hit, and possibly, who was winning.

The pirates films therefore, were great to watch with the description, especiallyt for small details I happened to miss and some of the sillier points, ---- for instance in Pirates Ii, i probably wouldn't have understood the fight in the revolving mill wheel without the description mentioning it, all I would've got is that the fight was occurring in some sort of moving vehicle.

Also, small gestures that I may miss, such as while I fully got, through a combination of resedual vision, interpretation, music and voice that Elizabeth was less than keen on Jack Sparro's company, specific moments such as when sparrow steps forward and she recoils from his bad breath I would'e missed.

As an interesting point, this is also why I like the starwars films, sinse it's one of the few times  sword fight is fully visible to me as Light sabers are fairly easy to see and also to tell who is who via the colour.

For descriptions, I actually enjoy reading descriptions, and find the modern trend of writers like Eoin Colfer (I've just finished reading his stuff), of basically writing books like glorified play scripts very disapointing.

This is why some writers I've really enjoyed have been people like Mervin Peake, Arthur conan doyle, Samual Taylor coleridge, Gean wolfe and more recently Iam M. banks, Steven King (in his modern moments), , Tad williams, ----- not to mention Tolkien, who have a highly descriptive style which applies to all senses, not merely just writing dialogue and the odd action scene, --- description is something I do in my own writing as well.

As to personal descriptions, well I'm a litle complicated. Firstly, I am synaesthesic. I therefore associate most things with a mixture of colour and tactile sensation. This also counts people. This association is highly specific, and very hard to articulate. It's also worth noting, that while I cannot see facial expression or body language unless it's extremely! obvious, ---- eg, slamming a fist upon a table, i do use what I think of as emotional sense.

This gives me a sort of general impression, ---- usually synaesthesic of what a person is thinking or feeling at a time. I'm not exactly sure what this is.

it might be just a summation of all clues I get, whether verbal, or none verbal into a general sense I can work on. A friend of mine thinks it's theramones.

Someone once suggested it was some sort of esp or "sensing personal oras", ---- though I'm more scheptical about that myself (I don't rule it out, but I don't think it's neccessarily true either). nevertheless it is what I chiefly use in order to get on with people socially, and it does tend to work quite well.

it's also worth noting though that like most Vi people. I cannot make eye contact. This might not sound a big deal but it is. Getting someone's attention in a crowd, indeed having people in a crowd realize I am elegeable for a conversation is quite difficult, and in fact I tend to avoid very crowded or noisy situations if I can for that reason. Mostly I get on with people when i can talk to them personally one to one or in a small group of three or four.

I'll try though to honestly describe some people I know.

firstly, my brother.

He's slightly smaller than me, and also slightly plumper with very dark hair. while I know he wears glasses like I do, I can rarely see these unless I'm standing very close to him. Obviously, I've seen him wearing lots of dfferent clothes, but I usually think of him wearing something that I'd regard as formal or even military, such as a patterned shirt and creem trousers, if not actually a sute (which he often wears for work). I associate my brother with a rich, scarlet red and a hard, smooth sensation like polished wood.

I would think of him as highly compitant, volatile and abrupt, someone who weighs people up the instant he meets them. He's very! able to be unpleasant to people while being perfectly chalming, someone who's anger you want to avoid, but someone who it's extremely good to have on your side.

Bare in mind though, that my brother is a criminal solicitor, a highly gifted stratogist and games player (he's a world class Ccg and chess player and has been British champion on several occasions), and generally very good at what he does, if rather intense.

Now, a friend. This is hard, sins most of my friends I'm extremely close to, ---- indeed one of them I think of as my sister, but I'll try and think of a friend I know less well.

I will describe one of my friends' who I'll call s in case she ever checks this forum. My friend is someone I've known sinse I did my degree and someone I've gone to visit and stayed with on several occasions. She's taller than me, but not what I'd call slim, and also wears glasses. her hair is dark and slightly long. I usually think of her wearing a long grey overcoat and a dark skirt, sinse this is something she often wore when i knew her during my degree.

In terms of colour, i'd associate her with a deep, midnight blue shot through with a glossy grey, and a feeling like cold wind.

There has always been a distance around her, a sense of "this far, and no further" I understand the reason for this sinse she has a psychological issue which she has shared with me, and also which has stopped her from getting a job, though she is highly qualified in computer science, works voluntarily doing tech support at a charity and is also doing a masters in creative writing.

The thing I think of most with my friend S is a sort of honest, respectful distance. I am aware she has shared important things about herself with me, as I have, but there is always a sense of give and take. We can be perfectly honest, but in a very polite way. Sh can be funny (in fact she's a huge comedy fan), but there is always a sort of core of distance to her. I am also conscious though that she affords me the same respect as I afford her, and that she will not require me to give more of myself, my time, or anything else than I am willing to. This makes things betwene us quite streight forward.

Lastly, while as a phd student who spends most time working alone I don't have! any co workers ;D, I'll try and describe someone from my light opera society who is new this year and who I've only just met.

R is sort of roughly the same hight as me with dark hair, and usually I've seen her wearing something white, or something dark like a jumper with a white sirt underneath. I associate her with a sort of orange yellow colour shot through with green and a fluttering, cracling but also slightly flat sensation.

She is quite young, about 19, and is currently playing the lead soprano role in the Grnad Duke, ---- the Gilbert and sullivan oppereta we're doing.

She has a sense of fragility about her, but at the same time a sense of extraversion. she's slightly nervous about the part (something I can here in her singing), despite being a qualified singer, and also has had some sort of health issue. in conversation she tends to be adept and friendly, but at the same time there is a slight defensiveness, and a sense she does not want to go too far out of her circle. I know for instance she's got a fairly perminant boyfriend, whether this is the issue I'm not sure. She is fairly inteligent, but not extraodinarily so, and also while willing to try some things outside her experience, is not completely free of genda sterriotypes, she has referd to herself as "a girl" in the social sense on several occasions (something many of my more usual friends who tend to have already kicked social sterriotypes don't do), though it didn't take her too long to get over the "waaaaa! he's blind" syndrome, ---- something which the vast majority of people I meet tend to go through, and may or may not get out of (england not being the most forward looking society where disability relations are concerned).

We may or may not become better friends in the future, something I'm not sure about, we'll just see.

Hopefully this is more enlightening. I freely admit my synaesthesia and my emotional sense are a bit weerd, ---- probably a lot weerd, but this is generally how I work things, and how I think of people. So hopefully this gives an idea aobut me, even if not about Vi people in general.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-01-16 12:50:24

I haven't ever watched movies with descriptions (other than the first minutes or so of How the Grench Stole Christmas, and all of the describing going on there seemed like it would have been distracting in the context of a movie). In recent years, though, people have gotten to where they'll describe things to me (requiring that I'm with someone sighted at the time, of course). There was one time this was happening in a rather small-but-slightly-crowded lobby, and the person giving the descriptions is fairly loud and not incredibly close to me, so halfway through the movie someone annoyedly asks if we can stop with the narration (then she realized what it was for and went quiet, which almost bothers me more. I do sorta feel like the guy describing was overdoing it a bit in this case, even.)

I usually get a mental picture of people after hearing a little from them, voice and style and such. Oddly enough, if I know names before I've really developed a strong picture of them, the letters in the name will usually influence how I imagine them (I associate colors with letters, so usually I'll think of them as wearing something in colors that fit their name). Even when my vision was better, I wasn't all that big on distinguishing people in terms of little details. I have a good idea of what many of my relatives look like, but I'd have to stop and think of how to describe them. (The easiest distinction would probably be how fat they are!)

When I'm in a situation with peers, those details are even more scarce. When my vision was good enough, I'd typically identify people more by the colors of their clothing than anything (unless it was someone very distinct in shape). You'd think that'd make things difficult when people would where different clothes... but the combination of voice, context, and the fact that most people didn't actually seem to have that big a variety in clothing made it not much of a big deal.

I'm not sure how I'd go about describing how well I can recognize people by scent, but it's happened. There was an interesting incident involving this just a couple months ago, as I was with a swordfighting group that was in an old gym (we're usually outside, but the weather wasn't cooperating). It was actually more difficult to find people in there (I blame this on my heigt more than anything--it's easier to find things at my head height or above). There was one moment where three or four people were in a bit of a strange formation, and the timing of people talking and moving left me rather confused, as I heard one person's voice coming from the same general area as one of the few scent's I recognized, belonging to someone else. Come to find out, the acoustics and the moving had me confused, but the scent was accurate.
(I then told this person, and he insisted that he had showered and used deodorent shortly before then. tongue)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-16 12:52:27

well me personally, i have no vision.
so, the way i describe someone is different!
because, i could basicly describe an online friend the same as a friend i have known for longer.
so lets see,
my best friend rhodri!
he's tall, about 6 foot 1.
he's brawd, i can tell this after the many brawls we've had big_smile
he's got a very funny personality, isn't shy of telling people what he thinks, but is not one to argue!
he also is one to have on your side, but i wouldn't dare get on his wrong side.  i've never experienced the. wwooow he's blind thing with him.
Well, he probably went through it for the year that i knew him when we weren't friends. But then we started hanging out 4 years back and he never even started with the hole thing, baring in mind he was 12 at the time, i  thought this quite good.
He's always on my side, telling people about equalaty, and is curious about how i do things.
He's interested in audio games, and loves audio quake, he plays  with me sometimes, but nether the less, call of duty black-ops normally gets the vote big_smile.
he's quite protective, where he'll  take my arm, even when i know  the area i'm in perfectly well.
For example, in school, i can walk around  the hole place on my own fine.
But he still guides me, and i just dont have the heart to tell him to stop, so i wont!

As for someone i dont know so well.
There's a guy in my business class.
Ollie bell!
he's huge, about six foot 4.
thin, and has a   big group of friends around him,
Although he talks to me quite a lot, we dont do much together,
But we speak online extensively, and he's also very interested in the hole equalaty thing.
He will atempt to get me into conversations with his friends frequently, and he's one of the only people, (apart from my friends) who would do this!
i hope that's good enough.
see i cant  describe their apearance, apart from hight and how broad/thin they are!

2011-01-16 13:48:05

Interesting Cae, the letter thing is something I get as well, though I won't associate the colour of letters with someone unless they're online, it's another part of Synaesthesia.

Funny, I use scent in mobility and navigation, but not generally to distinguish people, you must have a fantastic nose ;D.

I know the British audio description service do a lot of films and dvds, but I haven't heard of something similar in the states, which is possibly why you haven't encountered as many audio described films and such Cae.

My brother will do the descriptive thing you mention Robler if we go and see films, or if we're watching a film or anime, though he tends to have a good enough idea of my sight to know which bits I will and will not get, which helps.

As another interesting fact, a good friend of mine with perfectly normal vision actually loves! watching stuff with audio description. He's not the quickest on the uptake, --- very odd as he does an amazingly high profile job, has a whacking great sallery and also a degree, but is one of these people who is very intelligent but incredibly thick, especially with getting things like plots, ---- the police once phoned me having picked him up on the streets being drunk and confused and not even knowing who he was (it seems he had his drink spiked). Brilliant sinse I was in Itally at the time ;D.

After seeing a few audio described films with me, he actually goes to see audio described stuff himself on his own, simply because he finds it helps him get the plot much more. He's also becoming quite a fan of radio dramas as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-01-16 16:43:19

These were some very interesting posts, if I do say so myself!  big_smile  I have often wondered how a VI individual would describe someone especially if they have always been blind as I believe is the case with you Robla.  Please correct me if that isn't the case though.  The mainstream world relies so heavily on sight that our language is almost completely dedicated to it.  When I stop to think about it, I actually have difficulty coming up with descriptive words that are not associated with sight!

Basically this preference in language puts you guys at a huge disadvantage in 2 ways.  First off, there just aren't many words or phrases that can fit how you would want to describe someone.  With sight there is almost always a word that perfectly fits what you want to express in a description, but without sight it seems like you have to stop a lot to figure out ways to assemble different words to hopefully get close to what you want to say.

The other disadvantage is that the person on the receiving end doesn't necessarily know exactly what you mean by your cobbled together description.  Please don't misunderstand and take this as down playing any of your descriptions!  It is not my intention to make a VI description seem any less important than a sighted one.  The point I am trying to make is that the lack of language requires a visually impaired person to be far more creative and clever when describing some one or some thing.  I find that terribly fascinating!  big_smile  It shifts the writing away from "a science" and toward "an art".

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-01-16 17:29:04 (edited by pitermach 2011-01-16 17:32:11)

I never had a good memory for looks. Even when someone asked me such a simple question as what color is your mom's hair in, I was very silent even though she tolled me. This doesn't help when I read something for school and I have to describe a character. I usually focus on the actual plot and never pay attention to details IE if someone is tall or not or weather he has long hair... so I usually try to make those descriptions short so that I write something instead of nothing.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-01-16 18:11:00

Aprone, I'm slightly confused as to what you mean by "visual language" being so blatant in description.

Even when i'm describing something I have absolutely no visual idea of, ---- such as facial or eye expression, I simply use my synaesthesic impression of a person.

Takea description like "smiled" or "sneared" I have no idea what these practically look like, but I have very clear ideas what these "feel" like, so I know to what they are referring, in fact this is how I cope with facial expressions on stage, even though I do not have any conscious idea of controlling my facial muscles to create ---- for instance, a look of horror, I simply think myself into feeling that emotion, and according to people my face follows sute.

Also remember lots of concepts, weight, mass, construction, material composition and position are entirely free of visual bias.

When i was in egypt for instance with a group of blind people, most of the details and descriptions of the pyramids were quite accessible and just as applicable (one chap who was! totally blind from birth was amazed at the hight of the columns at carnak), indeed probably the only thing which was really out site wise was the plasterwork in the tombs (something I had a fair degree of trouble seeing myself).

2011-01-16 18:56:41 (edited by Aprone 2011-01-16 19:02:35)

I definitely agree that someone can associate a "feel" to a visual description which allows them to use it, and I wouldn't say "smile" or "sneared" quite fit with what I meant since both of those words refer to physical facial movements that could be felt or experienced without sight.  The more I think about it the more I notice words like "dank" or "cold" which are not visual descriptions, so I'm not saying they don't show up, I'm just thinking that most descriptive words would be categorized as visual.  In the mainstream, color, shading, and lighting are almost always the first things used to describe something.  You encounter a lot of variation words that are based on a specific combination of color, shading and light:  Gloomy, grungy, sunny, bold, soft, vivid, faded, cloudy, and so forth.  Someone might argue some of these are not solely visual descriptions, although they are.  Some may contain a non visual component, but when the visual aspect is left out they lose what makes the word specific to a situation.  A sightless individual might associate "Sunny" with the feeling of radiant heat they experience when standing in the sun, but a day could be described as sunny even when it is cold outside or when viewing it from a position where you are separated from the actual heat (like a photo or through a window).  Radiant heat can be experienced in the dead of night if you are near a heat source like a fire or a furnace.

Maybe this is a way of explaining it.  Imagine meeting a blind since birth man who cannot hear and is only capable of feeling textures.  To that person the words "hairy", "cat", and "dog" might seem to have exactly the same meaning since they lacked the additional senses needed to further distinguish between a cat, a dog, or an object that happened to be covered in hair.  Perhaps they disliked the person who would bring over the cat so they associated some negative feeling with the word "cat" and in their own mind used that as a way to use the word in slightly different situations.  Because his own unique idea of the word was not part of the common meaning of the word, none of us would ever completely understand.  He would lack the words to make us understand since, to him, it was just part of the word.  I feel like I've been rambling lol, hopefully that made some sense.

If you posted on here that your keyboard felt cold, each and every one of us would understand exactly what that means since we all can experience "cold" as the word is defined.  When Dark describes someone as a smooth sensation like polished wood, we have all experienced feeling a polished piece of wood but we have to try to imagine how that works its way into the description of a person.  It is doubtful that any 2 people here would be imagining that in the same way even though we read the exact same description that he wrote.  When CAE internally categorizes people as colors that fit their name, it is another situation where none of us would come to exactly the same understanding.  In my opinion, there are no existing words that can exactly describe what you are both trying to convey, so we do our best to make existing words fit.  As a result there will be a large amount of interpretation on behalf of the readers.  To me, this makes it far more interesting to read because it works your imagination.  Instead of reading clearly stated facts about a person's appearance, I get to ponder over a puzzle of words that are trying to describe things in a way I'm not accustomed to.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-01-17 01:18:31

While I see your point, my problem is that the only words which i can think of which are purely visual in context are those associated only with the visual medium, such as names of colours or qualities of brightness.

Words like gloomy, grungy, even sunn, can apply equally well to atmosphere, mood or setting as they can to associated colours, as well as states such as weather.

In one series by Anne Mcafry for instance, the main characters' boyfriend constantly refers to her as "sunny" not because she walks in a perpetual bubble of sunlight, but for her general disposition and affect on him.

I don't think it's really a linguistic problem, rather there seems to be something of a modern trend to write books that are a lot like tv scripts which simply give details of what would be seen on tv pluss a bit of dialogue, rather than giving people's actual experience, ---- even some of the earlier harry potter books are like this in places (though Jk rowling does stop this tendency later on).

Look at books written before television where only describing something in a realistic way would be regarded as a great feat, ---- Joules vern is a good example of this actually. His books don't seem much now sinse basically they're "oh look! weerd machines, creatures etc" with not loads of plot, but at the time they were regarded as extremely fantastical and absorbing.

For synaesthesia I actually do know what Cae means by colour impressions of the letters of a name, though for me this would generally only persist until i'd known the person long enough to get a more generally synaesthesic impression of them which rather eclipses their name, though Ie willing to bet my letter colour associations are totally different from Cae's.

Rather reminds me of arguements I have with my mum about whether Monday is dark brown or green ;D.

2011-01-17 01:37:09

Regarding films I'll also point out an example of where audio description lacked something.

In one of the Pirates of the Carribbean films Jack Sparrow held a compass and pointed, the audio description explained this in the UK DVD version. My sister however pointed out that he was rather wobbly while doing so, and eventually ended up pointing in the exact opposite direction from where he began.

Then there are examples where the describer is overly flowery. From Frasier: "Looks like the cat who got the cream." Why not just say he looked smug and describe the other person's response.

And worst of all from an episode of Futurama, the last line of audio description in the episode with the penguin sanctuary, "the sound of a gun being cocked is heard." Erm, I did just hear it y'know. That one was just plain patronising, especially since most people who watch Futurama will be modestly younger people who know full well what that sound effect meant, not least because it was preceded by one of the aforementioned penguins wielding a gun which was also described.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-01-17 03:17:24

Dark, I think we've started heading in separate directions lol.  Our examples are using the same English words but are focusing on their different meanings.  Sadly the English language likes to use the same word for multiple meanings.  If you are referring to "Sunny" as it applies to a personality then I certainly agree it is not a visual description.  This would also apply to the word "Green" if it were being used as the emotion jealousy or "Yellow" when describing cowardly.  Apart from cartoons who use word-play to show the actual colors yellow and green in those situations, there really aren't any similarities between "Green" the color and "Green" the emotion.  They just happen to be spelled and sound exactly the same.  I think these multiple meanings will make this conversation far too confusing lol.  Oh well, I'm pretty sure I was just pulling us off of Neptune's original topic anyways.  big_smile

Cx2, I can see how that is a bit annoying to have the speaker actually Tell you what you just heard, lol.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-01-17 09:12:43

I've not seen that one in futurama. I think what amuses in audio description is when the audio describer planely has a thing for one of the characters. In Troi, the chap couldn't mention the queen without adding "beuatiful" "attractive" or something else, ---- it was actually quite funny ;D.

I'm afraid I disagree on your frazier example Cx2, i actually prefer descriptions to be complex if at all possible sinse that can give a far better idea of the mood and setting than just saying baldly what's going on.

I for instance really liked the description in the torchwood episode concerning the alien that steels people's memories. Eventually, captain jack loses his last memory of his brother, and is left with a hand full of sand from the beech where they last met which now means nothing to him.

the audio describer did a great job of describing the sand trickling through Jack's fingers sinse it no longer meant anything as he's lost his memory.

i suspect though this is a rather individualistic thing.

2011-01-18 03:22:11

It could be just me but I found the Fraser example to be rather... subjective to say the least.

In your Torchwood example it would be entirely appropriate to have a description perhaps along the lines of "there is a slow, sorrowful trickle of sand from Jack's fingers." In Fraser however it was an overinflated description for a small comedic point. I suppose it's a matter of how significant the point is, when it is simply someone giving a smug grin it feels excessive to give it a long sentence.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-01-18 14:02:35

The torchwood example was a trifle longer, something like "jack stares down at the handful of sand in his palm and watches with a slightly confused expression as it slides meaninglessly through his fingers"

As I said though, it's really dependent upon what the situation is.

The only thing I rather dislike is when the audio describer tells you things that are obvious from the sound, rather than stuff which your likely to miss.

For instance, the two daleks in newyork episodes of doctor who never actually bothered describng the empire state building or much of the dalek base, but at one point had comments like "the dalek fires and kills one of the slaves" ---- which, when it is a dalek, a dalek which says "ex ter min ate!" before shooting, a dalek which has just been yelling at the slaves, makes it seem rather pointless to tell us it's firing.

Better describe the effect of a dalek gun, ie, seeing someone's skeleton surrounded by electricity than telling us something we already know.

2011-01-18 17:57:24

That is still a very good example in Torchwood, that scene obviously had a lot of significance in the context of the story.

The dalek thing sounds frankly silly. It's one thing to say who just died but saying the dalek fired is pointless I agree.

cx2
-----