2011-01-15 20:21:06

hi,
is there some kind of driver I can download for this? or would I have to open the computer and get a new USB hub

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2011-01-16 01:50:04

You will have to open your computer to do this. I am not to shure what you will call the card that you would need to put in, but you will have to open the computer to put in the port. If your computer isn't new enough to have a usb 2.0 port, then you may find yourself getting a new computer some time soon. then again, I don't remember when USB 2.0 was interduced. sorry I can't be of more help.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-01-16 02:01:58

hmmm, any idea how I can find out if the comp can support USB2?
and if it isn't, couldn't I just replace my motherboard with a newer one to fix this?

2011-01-16 21:45:10

What version of Windows are you using? If you have XP with up to date service packs most of the time any USB 2 ports should be working already, unless something like motherboard firmware doesn't support it. Also remember that several items on the motherboard are used by Windows to lock your OS to your computer as copy protection.

It is also worth mentioning that USB 3 is beginning to filter through into the market.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-01-16 22:21:42

I'm running XP with SP3
not sure about any other hardware info

2011-01-16 23:45:41

Ah. Well it's actually easier to install a new card than to upgrade firmware or anything, which might not help in most cases.

You can get USB controller cards for PCI slots quite readily. Since your computer doesn't have 2.0 to begin with I'm guessing it only has PCI and possibly ISA, though less likely, and not the newer PCI-Express slots. The card, which often doesn't require drivers, gives you a separate set of ports which should operate as USB2.0. I don't think XP will support USB 3. It is worth noting though that USB 2.0 devices generally work on USB 1.0 or 1.1 ports as well, though perhaps less quickly. Some devices do benefit from the extra power supply available from the USB 2.0 port, this is generally things like scanners that can run directly from the port without a mains adapter however.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-01-17 00:00:24

you've lost me lol
how does the card give me extra ports?

2011-01-17 00:14:16

Simple version:
There's a little metal plate at the back of every expansion card which lines up with the back of the case. Any ports on the card are on this plate.

If you check at the back of your computer you'll notice that there are a series of bands, some of which may have ports and some may not. These are the back plates of the cards. All cards have a back plate, upon which are the extra ports. The ports on the back plate for the new card would be USB 2.0 but the ports already existing will not.

If you're using a standard ATX style computer there will be the power socket at the top, then moving down on the left side with the rear of the case facing you will be the motherboard ports arranged vertically, then lower down the card back plates arranged horizontally. If you are using a computer with another kind of case this may differ, if you are using a desktop case not a tower these may simply be rotated through 90 degrees.

In theory you could change motherboard but this is even more complicated than simply slotting in a new card. Windows XP might decide your computer is not the one on which it was originally installed and react as if it was pirated, becoming unusable. If you have a graphics card and network card built into your motherboard this is even more likely since these are two more things that Windows tracks to determine if it is installed on the same computer.

cx2
-----

2011-01-17 00:30:08

ah gotcha
know where I can get one of these cards? if I can find one I have a relative who can put it in

2011-01-17 01:11:57

I can't suggest specific suppliers given that we're on different continents but most places that sell computer parts should sell them. Make sure it is a PCI card and not PC card, PC cards are for laptops, and it might be worth getting your relative to check that there's a free slot of the right kind before you buy one. Also don't get a PCI-Express, often shortened to PCI-E, version since this is a newer kind of slot that your computer probably won't have.

Heck you can generally buy them from your regional Amazon even, they're fairly common. I've even seen ones with firewire ports as well.

cx2
-----

2011-01-17 01:45:51

there are firewall PCI cards too?
gese, what else will they have? next thing you know they come up with a machine gun PC card for laptops lol

2011-01-17 02:30:52

Firewire is a different kind of port, sorry it got you confused with firewalls. Before USB 2.0 it was often used for high speed transfers like digital video.

As to what they've come up with, network controlled beer can launcher. If that isn't strange enough for you I don't know what is.

cx2
-----

2011-01-17 03:13:00

oh I thought jaws said firewall
beer can launchers?

2011-01-18 03:23:44

Students in the US modified a vending machine to dispense beer cans when they instructed it to via their iPhone. Not satisfied with this they included a compressed air cannon and webcam so they could fire the beer to themselves from across the room. There is a suspicion it was a viral video but still an amusing idea.

cx2
-----

2011-01-18 04:48:59

why would you do that? lol
beep beep wumf smack! ow, that's the last time I use that thing! haha

2011-01-18 17:51:34

Like I said it has been suggested it's a viral advertising video. Then again with students you never know.

cx2
-----