2006-03-22 14:46:21

Hi.

I'm just trying out Lw ---- I really like the idea of a game where people create their own missions which I can then play.
the weerd thing is, that I found the second mission significantly easier than the first one. In the first mission, I have a bit of trouble targiting the second cargo ship (the one that comes from behind you), not least because I usually wait until i've dispatched the destroyer first (sinse it's so much faster).

I seem to have difficulty turning and targiting the damn thing, any suggestions?

I've tried typing in the specific degrees I want the sub to turn to, but I must have gone wrong somewhere along the line as I can never manage to get that bloody ship.

Any help would be much appreciated, if I can finish mission one, I'll probably buy the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-03-23 12:35:03

I had the same trouble, except I think it was a different ship I couldn't get. A useful trick is to go to the surface (10 feet) and raise periscope. You're perfectly visible at the depth you start at anyway, so that makes no difference... and having the scope up on the surface seems to have a big affect on your vision range. Also maybe try going to battery power so you have a tighter turning circle.

For me it just sort of happened one time, I finally got it. Unfortunately I find the AI in LW a little easy to beat, then again I did used to play mainstream sub games a lot... I just don't feel that tension of never knowing whether you'll be noticed, 40 feet at one quarter engines and they'll never know you were there.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-03-23 13:31:59

i have kind of the same problem. the cargo ships are not much trouble for me though. i could never target the aircraft carrier and i believe i have destroyed a destroyer. i destroyed a destroyer. well i sank it. but i did never target the aircraft carrier.

2006-03-23 20:30:23

Well, I'm glad it's not just me being thick. I didn't think of trying the batteries, maybe I'll give that a go. I've got both of the cargo ships and even the air craft carrier on separate occasions, but I've never managed to consistently get all of them, that second destroyermanages to slip through as well.

I'll try the periscope as well, though to be honest, I thought that if I was at a depth of 20 feet, I'd stil be okay getting a view from my conning tower.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-03-24 11:06:40 (edited by cx2 2006-03-24 11:07:27)

For some reason it seems to adjust the visual range depending on your depth. You can't see as far at 40 feet with periscope as at 20 without... the periscope seems to lowwer your effective depth. I can often get a good extra 1-2 thousand range on my visual by going to depth 10 and putting my periscope up.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-03-24 12:12:35

I'll remember that one, thanks. Lw, and to a lesser extent Gma tank commander, are the first really detailed sims I've played, usually sim games suffer from being too 3D or too text based for me, so it's taking me a while to adjust.

Hopefully i should get the hang of it though.