2006-03-18 03:00:23

Hi everyone.
Have you guys listened to the Monty Trailer from USA Games? It sounds different from the trailer that Alcomy had. For Example: if you had to jump up and get a gem, you would hear a a short wooshing sound and and then you would hear a girl go uh.
Go check it out.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-03-18 03:45:33

I have listened to it

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2006-03-18 14:08:01

so have i.
it's really cool.

2006-03-18 18:26:52

I seem to remember that according to the USA Games description the character in this new Monty is a girl. Can't say we've had any AudioGames where we play a Heroine instead of a Hero. That's actually what I was thinking for my first major game project, since I've talked about a Metroid style game, and the character in Metroid is actually a girl, though you don't realize it at first. You only find that out at the end. So Monty's character went from being a guy named Arizona Smith to a girl named Angela. Guess they wanted to make absolutely sure they couldn't be mistaken for attempting to plagiarize.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-03-18 18:44:29

Except they could be accused of being a plot ripoff regarding tomb raider...

Not my opinion, but a possible criticism.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-03-18 19:51:02 (edited by archer 2006-03-18 19:52:21)

then again, there is sarah and the castle of witch craft and wizardry.
in that game your a heroin.

but i get what you mean, there aren't enough heroin based games.
i've played a couple of sighted games and i know that there is an even split between male and female characters.
come to think of it, are there any female game developers?
best reg

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-03-19 12:46:53

Regarding mainstream games:
I generally noticed that whilst female characters are far from uncommon, it is very rare for a female character to be unattractive. Again I refer to Lara Croft, along with many others.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-03-19 16:51:41

Of course not! Sighted guys aren't going to want to look at a chick who's not hot and sexy. I can't speak for myself seeing as I've never seen her, but I've heard that Alexandra, the main character in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, is pretty hot. Of course that's a hard one, since Ellia, the one other female character in the game, is this Asian dancer who--doesn't wear all that much. I visited the ED message board on Gamefaqs one time and there was this thread about who everybody thought was hotter, Alex or Ellia. Granted Ellia had a sexier voice as far as I'm concerned, but that's not necessarily something to go by. Then I've also heard that Samus, the main character from Metroid, is pretty attractive when you see her without her helmet and stuff.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-03-19 20:50:29

i agree, even in fighting games like mortal kombat trilogy and even tekken 2 there are quite attractive female characters

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-03-20 10:46:59

my point was simply that even mainstream games don't have female characters for the sake of gender equality, they have them because guys like attractive women. I'm willing to bet gender equality never crossed their minds.

Mainstream don't think "Hey, there aren't many games with women as the main character... let's make one!" they think "What can we do to interest players in buying our game... Hmm... most gamers are guys so let's have a woman as the main character with a chest so big it could never actually exist, and certainly wouldn't be practical whilst the character's leaping about the place."

cx2
-----