2010-12-15 08:02:13

Hi,I'm still pretty new here, and so I don't know if something like this should be posted in this room.
I have a few questions. Why do some people have a user carma and some not? Also, those smily things, when I click on that help link, it only gives me about six or seven, the only ones I can actually read are the cool one and mad, and maybe a few others, but I have seen quite a few things, like smile, which are not in that list. Does it follow the same sintax, like, :smile: or something? Or does it have to do with your profile or how many posts you've had, as to what smilies you can use?
Maybe there's a page explaining all this that I just don't see?
Sorry for the stupid questions.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2010-12-15 09:55:29

hello,
You can learn to the smileys at the smileys link under the "you may use" text.
Carma:
Lets say you like my post, click to thums up link to give a plus mark to me. Or lets say  you dont like my post,  click to thums down link to give me a minus carma.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2010-12-15 10:36:07

I think people that don't have carma showing up are at 0? But I'm not sure...

I haven't looked into how the smileys work here specifically, but they seem to be about the same as most php bb forums. So you have (without the spaces)  : )  for a smile,  : (  for frown,  : P  for sticking a tongue at someone,  things like that. I think  ; ) (wink)  and : D (big smile) are probably in there, since they're pretty common.

I suppose I could do a test right now... smile big_smile wink sad tongue

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2010-12-15 13:12:54

For user Karma, Burac has the right of it. When someone likes your post they can click thumbs up which increases karma by one, when they dislike your post they can click thumbs down which decreases your karma by one.

No karma = zero, though as you will see from some members here it is possible to have negative karma if many people thumbs down your posts frequently.

For smilies, I actually believe they are generally speaking disabled as images on this forum (I've seen something about this in admin options). You can use some of the basic text speak smily commands, such as ;D fo grin, but note that some people may have punctuation reading turned off in their screen reader so wouldn't be able to see the sign unless it has letters in it (that's why ;D for smile is so oka, sinse even reading itwith out punctuation being read allowd your screen reader would stil read the d).

I will admit I don't personally miss them all that much, sinse I get sick of some forums where people post nothing but masses of smilies and two words as their contribution to the conversation.

I do however think the Karma system is rather helpful, sinse it gives people A, an idea of community standing, and B, a chance to let people know what you think of their posts without starting a massive arguement or hurling accusations, sinse obviously karma is anonymous.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)