2010-12-04 23:19:03

Guys, is there already a product available that is essentially sticky notes for the blind?

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2010-12-05 08:47:03

Well, there are various ways of doing various things.

For short notes you can always just use word pad or similar (I have several lists I've compiled related to the Core exiles game for instance, ---- also I tend to stick down handy references to stuff I might need later while reading for my phd).

For post it notes on things, there is braille labeling which can be used to mark cds, dvds, controls for appliances etc, though generally you need some assistance making such lables and sticking them in the right place.

There is also a light pen style barcode reader, which comes with a number of stickers. You stick one on something, record a message attached to the barcode of that thing, then read the barcode later with the reader and it repeats what you recorded.

I have not tried one of these, but I'd like the chance to, sinse it would essentially mean I could lable my cds etc myself without my parents or friends around to assist.

That is all I personally know of, though there might be other stuff out there.

Remember though, one of the essential functions of sticky noting things would not be appropriate. Sinse the point of for instance writing down something on a note and sticking it somewhere, is the note is there as a reminder. A blind person however would have to remember to check that reminder, rather than it being an immediate object of perception.

There are also small, voice recording capabilities built into several accessible mobile phones and other such devices. I for instance use a machine known as a parrot voice mate (which are sadlyout of production now), which works a litle like a personal organizer. it's got the ability to record quick, simple memo notes (great for jotting train times or instant info), an extensive address book and phone number list (which i use a lot), and other functions like a calculator.

Its also got an appointment reminder system and time table function, though to be honest I've never made huge use of that.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-05 16:06:45

Well here was my idea.  What I was thinking of was a set of standard sticky note strips, which are the skinnier ones approximately the width of a finger.  You get 26 of these little sticky note pads and each one has a braille letter drilled into it.  While going through your CDs, for example, you might choose to stick an M and a Z on it so that later you can easily identify it as your Mozart classical CD.  I just wondered if something this simple would be useful for labeling things around the house.

I've already broken out the drill and a pad of sticky notes lol.  I can easily feel the holes and I've never tried to read braille before.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-12-05 23:29:52

That's an interesting idea, but my problem is I think by the time you got to enough code letters to make sense, you'd get to the point where it'd be easier just to use standard braille lables anyway.

For instance, mz for mozart is fine, but what if you had mozart's clarinette concerto, mozart's flute and harp concerto, and mozart's opera the magic flute.

You'd need at least a four letter code, mzcc for the clarnette concerto, mzmf for the magic flute etc (I have a similar labeling scheme on some of my disks).

When your getting to the point of sticking four letters on something one by one individually, your probably best just writing off a standard braille label anyway.

i'm not saying it's intrinsically a bad idea. There probably are circumstances where it would be useful, ---- particularly with numbers for dilesand such (especially because in braille numbers 1-9 and zero are actually letters a-J, written with a sign in front, which can in fact be despensed with when only numbers are used as in algebra), I just wonder how much labeling could be done with them.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-06 02:36:14

That makes sense.  I'll keep brainstorming.  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software