2010-11-12 23:36:21

Last year, I got a virus (it was my own fault), which managed to delete two dll files before I downloaded avg to dispose of it (which it did in very short order).

However, whenever I start windows I get messages abot the two missing dlls. as far as I can gather, not having them doesn't impare my pc's performance at all, but getting the error message whenever I start windows is annoying.

I finally! decided to do something about this, and tried avg's general registry and drive fixer. while it's fixed quite a lot of problems and seems to have sped things up generally, I still get the dll error, presumably because said files are stil missing.

Does anyone either know where I could get these, or could send me coppies that I could put in the correct locations, ----- which I think should work.

the files in question are:

system32\calc.dll

and

C:\WINDOWS\irilojih.dll

Any advice would be appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-13 00:12:08

hi dark, apparently these dll's are armful to your computer, i searched on google and got this
result.
calc->
http://htlogs.com/what-is-calc-dll-how- … -calc-dll/
as for the other, i presume it's a virus too since i don't have this dll on my windows machine
(running xp sp3)
hope that helps.
peraps you should consider getting a more advanced av program, such as nod32(it's the best
on my opinion)

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2010-11-13 00:20:58

As I said Drg, the virus did it's thing with these dlls before I installed avg, so the damage was already done in that sense (if I'd had avg first off it wouldn't have happened).

If these are indeed hrmful dlls, it's probably then that the virus instigated some process to search for these at startup, and sinse avg got rid of them, they're obviously not there though the process is.

i'll have a look through avg's startup manager and see what I can find about searches run for thesefiles.

Eddit: Well, my estimation of avg has gone up considderably. Using the startup manager I found both processes and removed them, and indeed several other pointless things my pc was doing at sstartup into the bargain (such as running windows live messenger, which I don't use).

So, the upshot of all of this is no more "lost dll" blips at startup, and my computer (and Hal), starts up far more quickly.

Which is good. Thanks for the advice Drg but as I said, I'm confident enough of Avg's ability to actually despose of viruses before! they do nasty stuff, and now, using their pc tune up program, I'm pretty happy with their ability to do things like registry cleaning and removal of pointless things, ---- virus damage included, as well.

I may well considder getting the full version of the Avg pc tune up program, because it's certainly been helpful thus far.

I also am a paid member of avg until 2012, (it was one of their nicer deals), so couldn't switch anti viruses really even if I wanted to, ----- though to be perfectly honest as I've not yet had a reason to be unhappy with avg I'm not sure I want to.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-14 22:40:17

how did you get the virus?

2010-11-16 16:21:09

It was my own fault really.

I have setup spam rules to auto delete dodgy mail.

Checking my mail, I deleted a quite legitimate E-mail (I think from the audeasy list), then thought better of replying.

so, without looking I went streight to my deleted items folder and hit enter. unfortunately, my anti spam rule had worked very well, s the first item in deleted items wasn't the mail i wished to reply to, ---- but a dodgy one which had been auto deleted!

If I'd just looked I wouldn't have got the virus in the first place.

At least this made me go and download avg to get rid of it, which it subsequently did.

2010-11-30 08:27:22

i'm very paranoid about viruses. i mite have a look at avg. is it free?

2010-11-30 10:42:30

There is a free edition of AVG as well, as is the case with most decent antivirus programs todate.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-11-30 11:40:38

I would advise paying for the license though if you can, so as to maintain the program's updates if your bothered about security.

2010-11-30 14:02:40

As far as I know, AVG will update itself even if you use the free edition. The commercial edition has other modules bundled in such as firewall, spyware protection and so on. I might be wrong in the details but this is generally the principle with free antivirus software versus their commercial counterparts. So if you do know about a reliable freeware solution for a firewall or spyware cleaner, you should be good to go just with the free version of an antivirus. I freely admit that I might be entirely wrong though, as Dark says, as I like the wording (to admit it freely) and it is extremely relieving. LOL
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-11-30 15:34:09

Hmmmm, well I know free avg comes with a 30 day free trial, but I'm not sure how much of it remains working after this time expires, sinse I liked the program enough to pay the license fee.

For the record, in addition to the antivirus, avg comes with anti spyware, anti rootkit, E-mail scanner, link scanner and some shields.