2010-10-29 16:27:26

Hi!

We'd like to inform you about the new tech demo for a game we're working on named Extant. Your feedback on this tech demo is warmly appreciated.

Information:
This is a tech demo of Extant. It is not a full game yet. Explore and Stay Alive!

Controls:
Use the cursor keys or WASD to navigate.
Use SPACE or the left mouse button to fire your weapon.
There's an in-game navigation menu: press and hold CONTROL (you'll hear 'find') and press the cursor keys. Select the object you'd like to find. When you release the CONTROL key, your dog Moby will guide you to that specific object.
Press ALT to hush Moby to be quiet.

The .zip files linked below contain an executable tech demo.

Update 24 Sept: download links are here:
http://creativehero.es/Extant

Please leave your feedback in this forum! Have fun!

Sander & Richard
http://audiogames.net
http://creativehero.es

2010-10-29 16:49:07

This is a really cool concept.
THe ambience for me on the mac is great. HOw advanced will this become?
I ran out of amo and died smile but never mind.
The environment I think is well crafted, i'd be interested to know where you aim to take this concept product though. It is good and following your dog is also a good way to help one navigate.
I assume though as stated earlier yu aim for this to be a full game with cut-scenes, other environments etc?
Different weapons would also be cool. Maybe you have to rescue people like in resident evil

2010-10-29 17:24:15

Hello
I  use windows and am having a  problem.
When I  download the zip folder it gives me some sort of compressed zip folders error dialog. Just to see what would happen, I  downloaded the mac version and I  had no problem extracting the files.

Audio game king

2010-10-29 17:30:27

@WP85 I can download and unpack the zip file. Have you tried redownloading it?

2010-10-29 17:59:49 (edited by robjoy 2010-10-29 18:01:07)

Hi,

The environment is amazing, the ambience, the zombie sounds are really fantastic. I really like the fact that you use reverb based on the locations, and you use it even when commanding your dog, etc. Great!
No audio game ever managed to scare me, but when that quick zombie lunged at me, oh boy. Lol.
A map would be really useful to locate where you are, also a key to look ahead, to see what exactly you're hitting.
Also some sort of an audio progress bar (panning from left to right), which would tell you what your health is.
I would personally replace the gun sound with a more gun-sounding one if you know what I mean, and would also add falling shell sounds.
Other than these, and considering that this is just a demo, hats off!

Edit: The heart beat sound really adds to the atmosphere too.

R.J.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2010-10-29 18:13:25

Great, I'm looking forward to trying this. Currently i'm on a train heading back to my parents for the weekend. They have a fairly slow net connection, but hopefully I'll be able to download the demo.

if not, I'll have to wait until i get back to my flat next week.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-10-29 18:29:20

Hi
I  tried redownloading the zip folder and I'm still getting the same error
---------------------------
Compressed (zipped) Folders Error
The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted.
OK I  just thought I  would post the actual error this time. 

Audio game king

2010-10-29 21:20:27

I like this game it sounds like it is going to be cool.

2010-10-29 22:13:13

I like what we have. I expect this game to have some cool potential!

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-10-29 23:22:10

Wow, this game sounds awesome, i'm downloading it now

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-10-30 11:52:35

Well, I did download the game and play it, and it was indeed cool with the various additions and extra ambience.

I'll be most interested to see where this one goes.

wp, the game extracted fine over here. Just in case though it is a problem with your windows extraction process (to be honest, windows support for zip files isn't that great), I would suggest you try using 7zip instead.

you can get it at www.7zip.co.uk.

It's a freeware unzipping utility that can do various formats of zip folders, pluss it compresses very well.

you can run it streight from the application menue in windows explorer or similar (just choose 7zip and what extract option you want).

also, if there is a problem extracting one of the files, 7zip will let you know precisely which file has the trouble, so if there is something seriously up at your end we'll be more able to know the source of the problem.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-10-30 13:24:58

Just a small correction, it's at www.7-zip.org

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2010-10-30 14:04:42

Ah, thanks rob, unfortunately I'm on my laptop at the moment which doesn't have all my usual favourites including the 7zip site.

Btw rob, did you get my mail?

2010-10-30 15:58:42

Hi what file do i click to play the game? there not in english. thanks for the help. brad

I'm gone for real :)

2010-10-30 16:11:08

Don't worry i've done it, i had to download it again for some reason it didn't work the first time, but it is working now and i really like this game, the zombies actually scaired me. lol. great job and keep it up. can't whait to see how this game develups.

Brad.

I'm gone for real :)

2010-10-30 16:47:58

Hi Dark
I  already have 7  zip on my computer.
I  tried opening the thing today with no luck.When I  select extract all files and specify ware I  want them to go and hit enter it says compressed zip folders error dialog no files to extract. the only other thing I  can think to try is win zip.

Audio game king

2010-10-30 16:48:15

Hi I love this demo, it sounds like it's going to be a great game.  Good that it's out this time of year, the music alone is enough to chill the blood.  When that zombey came at me in the churchyard I just about jumped out the window i got such a fright!  I think some trip sound would be good, for stepping over a body, and it would also be good to be able to rescue people and control them like you do your dog.  A health counter is also a good idea with 100 being your best and anything you pick up like a medical kit or ammo could speak so you know what it is you've picked up.  I'm finding it hard at the moment to tell how hard I've been hit, for example I hear my heart beat getting louder and I don't know how close I am to meeting my maker <Smile>  I love how different sounds relate to different buildings, like bells for the church.  Do we have a game's back story?  Is it haloween and the dead and undead have risen to confront the living?

out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

2010-10-30 16:59:05

funny wp, I have extracted it no problem over here with 7zip. If you've tried downloading multiple times and got the same issue, perhaps you've got an antivirus program which is acting up and auto deleting the files for some reason, thus creating a zip folder with no contents (I have seen this happen before).

As regards the game, I'm deffinately impressed, and will be very interested to see what elese gets added.

Thus far I've not tried the mouse, only the keyboard using a set of sanheisar headphones. I will say though that the precision of the audio is great, in fact unless weapons with different ranges of fire were introduced, I actually don't see the need for a targiting sound sinse I found the sterrio position of zombies more than adequate in targiting them.

2010-10-30 18:20:32

what do I do after I choose what I want to find

2010-10-30 18:30:26

Well I  got the files to extract by choosing to open them while downloading them instead of just saving them to disk. The problem is that when I  tried to run the extant.exe file it disappeared.

Audio game king

2010-10-30 20:19:35

Very very nice game! I too am very interested to see where this one goes.
Keep up the great work!

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-10-31 02:51:25

Hi wp85,
Sounds like your antivirus is deleting it. Try either turnning it off temporarily, then install and add the .exe as an exception.
If that doesn't work, try redownloading the zip file with a download manager such as free download manager. This will make sure everything gets downloaded. Most web browsers will not be able to help you out if the download unexpectedly stops. I've seen some websites that trip all of the web browsers I have, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Seamonkey. They would download to a certain point and then stop and say it was finished, leaving a corrupted file.
This game sounds awesome, downloading it now.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2010-10-31 03:11:55 (edited by musicalman 2010-10-31 03:59:19)

Well, I just tried the game, and I really like it! The sounds are amazing!
But I think there should be a learn game sounds menu, because there are quite a few sounds I had to learn and there are still some I don't know. Like the crackling sort of electricity sound is a door. Also, I think there should be a volume control for the music, the music is great but the sounds are so good that sometimes I just want to hear the natural sounds, without the music, or at least, have it turned down a little.
When I entered the swamp, I was immediately ambushed with a loud bunch of birds, I guess they don't mean anything but they were extremely loud! The rest of the game is pretty quiet, at least in my view, especially the footsteps.
But this game is one promising project, with better sounds than any other exploration game I've heard. While you can't explore much in it yet, and there is no way to telll any status, it's still a good game as I know these things will be added in future.
I'm really looking forward to see where this goes!!

2010-10-31 03:25:39

Wow, great game, suggestion add an ammo counder and have items such as amm or helth pack make a beeping sound, also, different types of power ups.

2010-10-31 03:53:47

Oh and I heard this really high pitched beaping sound throughout my games, didn't know what it was, but I noticed that I could turn and stuff with it, so I thought it must be something intentionally in the game. I walked over to it, and sure enough, I heard a gun loading sound. Then another time I picked one up when the heartbeat was playing from being on low health, I heard this sort of air release and the heartbeat went away. At least I think I picked it up, it's hard for me to tell where they are since they sound like they're moving, and they only emit short, intermittent beeps. I'm already addicted, to a concept demo! Wow!
Also windows is yelling at me about optomal screen resolutions. Any way to fix this?