2010-09-04 16:56:11

Hi!
I have had some wierd problems with internet explorer 8. When I open Internet Explorer, it just doesn't work. Then I can't exit it; I just get that exit now dialogue box. I have tried resetting the settings like it says somewhere via Inetcpl.cpl or whatever as it says somewhere, I have tried reinstalling wich was no luck, but nothing worked. I had firefox too wich works for me, but there are things that I'd need Iexplore to do. By the way, I know that the instructions I read were for Internet Explorer 7, but isn't there supposed to be another dialogue box when I click reset advanced settings? I'm expecting the instructions to be a bit out of date, but it struck me as odd. There were no instructions for Internet Explorer and Windows XP, just IE 7 and XP or IE 8 and Windows 7 or Vista. I haven't tried degrading, but I suspect it won't work. I was going to try that, just haven't done it yet. I've managed to learn Firefox more, wich is good in this huge problem, but there's still that thing with flash. Some things work, but most doesn't, including some flashgames. The actual youtube site isn't working, but the accessible interface does and it's just watching that doesn't work on the original. That means that uploading works, wich is what I need... that and comment... so that's kind of fixed. Sorry for this incredibly long post...

I live to crochet!

2010-09-04 19:45:17

hello,
can you describe  your problem in more detail?

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2010-09-06 18:58:57

Nothing shows when I start Internet Explorer and it can\t easily be exited either. The window title says Windows Internet Explorer, but not much shows in the window. Can't open any menu or anything. Also the option to go back to old session still shows, but no matter what I choose the same thing happens.

I live to crochet!

2010-09-06 19:34:31

what screen reader are you using?
i heard IE8 was only accessible with jfw11, i could be wrong though!

2010-09-08 17:48:51

hello,
re install your system with get a help to a sited.
thanks!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2010-09-08 20:01:36

your crazy

2010-09-08 20:50:15 (edited by sabrina 2010-09-08 21:13:57)

Yes, that would be a last solution and it would be a bad idea to do it when I still might have other solutions. This is no accessibility issue, Iexplore doesn't respond at all. I can't downgrade, because I already have a later version. I tried downgrading to IE7, by the way. Yep, reinstalling the system sounds a little crazy.

Edit: I'm using NVDA wich has worked fine with IE8 untill lately.

I live to crochet!

2010-09-09 17:21:10

Hi.

I've got ie 8 here and it's running fine with hal, so it's not a compatibility or instalation issue.

My first thought is that this might be a homepage or start up error. Have you tried accessing links from favourites or E-mails directly? ie, going into your favourites menue from the start menue and just hitting enter? or how about pressing ctrl o and typing a web address in manually.

if these work then it's clearly a problem with starting ie 8, not with running it, and going to the general settings of option and monkeying about with the start up settings such as homepage, quick tabs etc should solve it (I'd recommend turning off tab brousing, screen filters and other options, but that's more personal preference), also check the "accessibility" settings in the advanced page of the ie 8 options and see they are set correctly for nvda and haven't altered by mistake.

If however this doesn't help and ie 8 doesn't work on any link, then it's possible you've got saddled with an irritating add on or skin which is getting in the way of reading the screen (this happened to me at one stage with the yahoo toolbar and an earlier version of Hal).

In xp if you go to accessaries and then system tools, there's an option to run ie 8 with no external add ons, skins or the like. If this works then you know what the problem is.

Just go to the tools menue and manage add ons and disable anything which you don't need, in fact the only ones I have working myself are ones for java.

I'm afraid if you start ie 8 from that option in system toolsand stil get a problem, and it's not an issue with the settings, then something majorly wrong has indeed happened, and you might need to reinstall ie 8.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-09-09 20:23:03

Thanks It's working! I changed the startpage and a few other things and then I did... something else that I can't remember exactly. I never thought of doing that.

I live to crochet!

2010-09-09 21:25:14

Glad it now works. It's good to get familiar with this sort of thing, sinse occasionaly an update or other action will reset it, ---- which is probably what happened in your case.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)