2010-07-22 22:18:07

Hi,
Well after installing hal my screen resolution was set to a very low level. The jaws vidio intersept came up. And then my computer went all weird. It wouldn't let me log in with my acount. Luckily i have another acount that i am using right now timporaly, but that means i have to redownload a bunch of other things. I really don't know what's wrong with my computer

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-07-23 00:05:54

Neither installing Hal nor monkeying with resolutions should affect your computer in that way, sinse I've done both at various points, unless it was something to do with the jaws interceptor, it sounds more like a user accounts trouble, which isn't surprising sinse %90 of the problems I've ever had with my pc have been related to that bloody user accounts feature.

Just as a point of information though, you shouldn't need to actually re-download anything too much. The shortcuts in you programs menue for instance might be missing, but the programs themselves are likely stil around, it's just necessary to either ccut or copy the shortcuts from the other account's folder, or create shortcuts yourself manually from the files in the program files group, ---- I had to do this myself last year when I had a user account crash of my own.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-07-23 01:56:18

Most of my programs were actually still there. I think the only thing i had to redownload was the kitchensinc folder with all the games. I have never experienced this before, so i have no idea what happened. Thanks for the help dark. I don't like user accounts that much. But luckily i have another account, so at least everything is still working and i can still get on here

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-07-23 02:49:37

Its time for the tech guy!
OK. I really am one of a great tech guy. I can help you now! I have a good idea that I tryed on my desktop when I lost my UserAccount.
First, go into ctrl pannle on account#2.
Second, Click "User accounts".
Third, Choose "Manage another account".
fourth, Click "Reset User Account".
Fifth, Follow onscreen requests. Use screenreader though).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2010-07-23 02:52:39

I don't recall the kitchinsinc folder being disturbed when I had my particular crash, then I again, like all my games it was installed in my fun program files folder, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Glad you could get it fixed. As I said, I've often wished user accounts could be disabled altogether sinse I've only ever seen them cause humungous problems, and when your just a single user using one computer on your own and not a big company or institution with many users there's absolutely no need for them.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-07-23 03:46:10

i agree, this is my lap top, and i'm only using one account, wich is mine. So why should there be user accounts if just one person is using the computer?

2010-07-23 15:14:24

There is one very good reason, but XP hasn't keyed into this though I believe Vista and 7 did:
Anything done while you're logged in with admin priveliges can wreck your computer. This means any programs that are run, intentionally or not, can also wreck your computer. By running as a normal user and only accessing admin priveliges when you need to do something specific you can help prevent malicious programs from getting administrative access.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-07-23 16:16:19

Hmmm, but if you are the only user, doesn't that automatically give you admin status?

This was certainly the case when I had one crash with user accounts, sinse an error in the registry caused the computer to start with no loaded account, therefore virtually everything was inaccessible and I had to load my account as an admin to have the thing work correctly.

Once I knew what had happened it was easy to fix, but it was a pest while it lasted.

2010-07-23 17:09:19

that's true. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. Otherwise, i won't have any account, unless i just create one

2010-07-23 17:55:33

You need to be logged in to create an account sadly.

Dark:
I'm not sure how Win 7 or Vista handle it but I know Linux has a distinct "root" account that has complete access, and it is considered good practice to never log in as root. Instead you use a special command to run a task as root from within your user account. I understand Win 7 has something along these lines, and I have personal experience of Mac OS X doing this as well. Mac OS X requires a password for most software installs, and for all system updates. This makes it a lot harder to sneak things past you.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-07-28 10:08:10

Both Vista and 7 use a feature called User Acount Control, which prevents the exicusion of programs.
The way it works is that when a program tries to modify your machine, a UAC dialog pops up, asking you if you want to allow the change. This is still in effect if you are logged in with an admin account.

2010-09-09 14:07:42

Basically, UAC says like if something is asking you if its ok to destroy all hardware! UAC asks:
Do you want to aloue the following program to make changes to you're computer?
Then in win 7, theres an extra option hear. There's a show deetails button, an change whin these noteafacashions aper and a yes or no button. In vista, its show deatails and a contenue or aloue button. In this case, it'd be "alue". This proves to be a great way of protectment! Use wisely! allthough people can break through  it!

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2010-09-09 17:35:15

yeah, you should know about that ethin... as you atempted to send me spyware the other day!

2010-09-09 19:00:23

if we didn't have user accounts how would you password protect your PC, incase your brother tries to use or PC while your at school or other such things?

2010-09-09 19:42:18

I wasn't saying user accounts shouldn't exist, only that they seem pointless when you are! the only user and don't need to password protect your pc.

As to mal ware issues, to be honest I've had far more problems due to user account crashes, user account file corruptions, computer starting with wrong account or random accounts created by mistake than I ever have with any sort of malware at all.

Perhaps 7 and vista work differently and are more stable in this regard though, and I'm willing to bet lynux or mack os would be. All of my experience is stil with windows xp so far.