2018-10-16 16:53:32

I feel like an idiot because I'm confused with stretching.  It all seems so easy on paper, but for some reason, I feel like I'm missing something somewhere.    Every tutorial I find tells me I need to click and drag, but uh, yeah, about that...

ANyways, I can put down the stretch markers, but from there it's kinda like "okay, how do I actually  stretch between two parts of a song?

Example:  A bass line  ends shortly in one section, but expands out a bit in the next measure, so I wanted to stretch it to line the bass track up better.   WHat exact methods do I need to do to fix this?   This is a prime example for this is exactly the problem, here. lol

On an unrelated note,   automation is annoying me, because even when I arm the volume envelop and  insert a new automation item, it doesn't insert it.  it just ... does nothing, for there's no indication that anything was ever inserted in the first place.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-16 18:16:37 (edited by gamedude 2018-10-16 18:20:11)

As far as stretching goes, it's not too bad. In order to actually cause a stretch, you just adjust the position of a stretch marker. For example, if you had a loop that you wanted to sink up with the tempo because the beats were slightly off, you would place stretch markers at the beginning of each beat on the audio item, but afterwards you would have to snap the stretch markers to the grid in order to make the audio align if that makes sense. So, for your example with the baseline, I would place one stretch marker on the last beat of the baseline, and then place another one at the very end of the audio. Then you can move the last stretch marker to the end of the final bar. I feel like I'm not making a lot of sense. Let me know if I'm confusing.

P.S. Off topic, but I wanted to ask you about your success with using some Native Instruments VST's with OCR. (Specifically, Absynth) I can somewhat navigate to an area where I see categories of presets, but I can't actually figure out how to pick a specific one. Can you run through how you manage to do it? O yeah. About the envelope thing. Instead of using automation, I usually just insert envelope points. So, if you wanted to work with the volume envelope for example, you would arm it for the track you wanted to effect, then you would place envelope points around the time selection you'd like to effect. It would probably be easier if I ended up making a recording of this, but just let me know.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2018-10-16 18:26:58

YEah the envelops would help me out if you made a demonstration.

Anyways, for absynth, if you haven't tried yet, download SIBIAC.  It allows you to browse through Absynth presets.

http://azslow.com/files/sibiac.0.14.nvda-addon

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-16 18:41:35 (edited by G-Rad 2018-10-16 19:32:18)

I can't grab a stretch marker by any means, I tried but can't grab it basically, but the one thing i can do is place stretch markers between point one and three, and then do a snap to grid, but the problem now is that when ding so, it changes the pitch of  the  stretched section.  is there a preserve pitch function I'm missing?

EDIT: I figured it out, forgot that I need to preserve pitch of items, so yeah that's working and na nice workaround, so long as I remember that in the middle of a file, I have three points to stretch, not two, I should be alright.  this helps a lot.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-17 18:04:54 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-10-17 18:05:52)

there are some audio tutorials on wiki for stretch markers and also ... depending on material, I like to use the action
SWS/FNG: Time stretch selected items (fine)
or
SWS/FNG: Time compress selected items (fine)
they work with what you have set on the horizontal zoom level

Case in point: A cellist I recorded a few days did some chords but when we did a second take she waited for the fingers to be aligned and did them slightly longer than necessary, with longer pauses in between. So splitting the items for each chord and using those functions plus a bit of moving (ripple edit made this easier than it sounds) I was able to sort of match them to a beat.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-17 20:39:13

Yeah  so far I'm able to deal with snapping stretch markers to grids, which works, but  still feels like there's something I could be missing, however this is definitely a huge step in the right direction from where I was, lol.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel