2013-01-24 21:00:06

Hi all,
Very nice information in this topic!
As for the tuning thing, I never messed with that much when I tried to play the guitar, but i probably gave up on it too quickly. I just can't get the right hand's rhythmic motions down, and the left hand to play odd chord shapes. If I had to hold down more than two or three strings I just couldn't do it, at least not cleanly, but as I said I probably didn't give it enough time. I think I was just frustrated because I knew exactly what I had to do, and could come up with really off the wall chords if I wanted to because i understood the theory inside and out, but couldn't play a clean simple chord.
Funny though with keyboard, the finger independence and precise maneuvering came naturally almost from day one. Of course i still have challenges with a few very specific scenarios, like everyone else, but I can quickly make good progress on those in weeks, where as with guitar I could practice every day and see minimal improvement throughout the coming months. I guess there is some truth to being physically built more for an instrument? Or maybe it all comes down to dedication and natural talent mentally and not so much physically? I've been wondering about that for years.
Regardless I am really enjoying this topic. Maybe at some point I will try guitar again and take it as seriously as I take my keyboard and music studies. Maybe I won't, that remains to be seen...

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2013-01-24 21:45:22

Raygrote I would say that it definitely depends on dedication.  have the opposite problem as you... I never did well with the piano or keyboard, but just latched onto guitar. I don't think it's so mch being physically built as just how much time you put into it and how you think about it. Lately I've been wanting to do piano again, but geting both my hands to coordinate for keys is simply different from doing the same with strings. I think it may just be a matter of adjustment.
Brian... as to gettin a half and half, that is good. However, your acoustic-electric will still end up sounding ultimately more like an acoustic, so a lot of the electric style stuffbe  will sound different. I could never run my acoustic electric through a distortion peddle, because the body is too hollow... and there's too much space for feedback. At least, not in my experience. But other people with different guitars may say different.

Discord: clemchowder633

2013-01-24 21:53:37

Unfortunately due to that financial irresponsibility of my x girlfriend's that I mentioned I'm not going to be able to afford to get my guitar back. I thought I mentioned that but maybe I didn't. So I will, in fact, have to buy a new one.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2013-01-24 22:36:52

Yes, you did mention it... the poster just missed it. But I would say if you want to play folk music more then get an acoustic and save up for a cheap electric with an amp later. See my comment about acoustic-electrics possibly being badly suited for heavy rock.

2013-01-25 02:35:52

Hi all,

Tuning ear is something I wouldn't recommend unless you have a fairly relative perception of correct pitch.  A good way to remember the standard tuning of a guitar is EADGBE, or, as I like to think of it, Eddie ate dynamite, good bye Eddie.  Or, if you have an enemy whose name begins with an E, replace Eddie with that name, lol.

Stairway To Heaven is a great example of finger picking.  I've learned a substantially good amount of that song, and I believe it's very fun to play.  Another aspect of guitar is hammer ons and pull offs, which requires discipline and patience to learn, I may add.

I can get really quick with those two techniques, however my finger strength could use some work.

Regarding someone's comment about not being able to play a chord using more than 2 or 3 fingers, that's either lack of strength in your 4th finger, or your finger nails are prohibiting that clean sound you want.  This is all in the introductroy tutorial I conjured up.

Oh, by the way, there is a thing out there called "Talking Tabs", which I believe is discontinued.  I found out about this about 5 years ago, and according to my 11 year old attention span, you could buy it, but not sure anymore.  Feel free to do a Google search and see what you come up with.

If anyone's interested in my introductory lesson, just shoot me a quick email at [email protected] or post on this forum.

Best Regards,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2013-01-25 07:31:49

I'd be interested, somewhat, I mean, I wouldn't consider myself the best guitarist, but I enjoy playing, and I find it fun

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2013-01-25 14:51:59 (edited by musicalman 2013-01-25 14:52:48)

Yeah it was definitely finger strength that held me back. In fact for years people have been getting on me about that but I think in most aspects, finger strength is overrated, but in guitar playing I can see why it would be necessary.
And I can tell you, that even though i have perfect pitch which means I wouldn't have to use an external reference to tune, I always tune with a reference anyway just to make sure the pitch of everything is linked up. I remember when tuning the guitar though, I always had trouble getting my b string in tune because I was very picky on the intonation of that particular string, as I'm sure many of you guitar players are. Any time there was a third between two notes, like between the g and the b of the g chord, or the c and e of the c chord, I could never get the tuning of those right. But the guitars I was playing on were pretty cheap and I can't say anything about the strings since I don't know a thing about them.
And there are plenty of tuning strategies. Some people fret one string so they can play the same note on two strings to hear if they are out of tune. I know someone who plays harmonics on the lower strings to check the higher strings. I guess it all has to do with what type of sound you're looking for since it's never going to be perfect like a digital instrument.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2013-01-25 16:26:46

Finger strength is important, but I guess not so much, as many people think.
Joe Satriani said, that beginners quite often use 70% more strength than necessary. I may remember the percentage wrong, but the point is that in the beginning your rists and fingers get tenced up.

Another thing is that cheaper guitars have quite often  high action by default, so the strings are quite far from the fretboard. So maybe you should bring it to some guy, who could set it up for you.

2013-01-25 18:31:10

Finger strength is definitely an area I could use improvement in.I tried to learn power chords and that definitely requires it.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2013-01-25 19:26:24

Finger strength isn't so important for basic cording. Only if you're planning to do more advanced things like lead. As to tuning a b-string, I have that problem as well... but not all the time. I can get it right most of the time, and I think it may actually be something to do with the way the strings are actually put on the guitar.

2013-01-25 23:26:37

It is for power chording though since you fret two or more strings with one finger. At least that's how the teachers I've had tried to teach me to do it.

2013-01-26 02:43:50

Ah. For bar and bar power cords, yeah. But there are many different forms of power cord... so it varies. But I see what you mean.

2013-01-26 04:03:45

Well, finger strength is essential in playing.  However, it isn't everything.  Your form in finger positioning must be correct in order to get that right sound.  There is no use in using more strength than you have to on fretting the notes if you don't have to.  This is introduced in the tutorial.

It'll be released tomorrow at some point during the afternoon.

Best Regards,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2018-10-14 17:19:18

So the actually stringing of the guitar is probably not too hard to do, but what about putting them in the right order? I've always had somebody do it for me, and was told that strings are coloured, like the high E is blue for example. So how would you know what string you were putting on if your doing it without help since E and B feel pretty similar? Is there any way to tell or do you always need help for this
As far as technique goes, I play with my left hand over the top of the fretboard. Its unusual but I taught myself and it feels natural to me. Just curious if anyone else on here does this also?

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2018-10-14 17:22:43

When you buy strings in a set, they are in the right order, so when you take out a string and it is quite thick, then it's the thickest and the next one will be the second thickest.

2018-10-14 20:07:01

Ah ok, makes sence. Not sure how I didn't know that before lol

2018-10-14 20:12:54

I've found a lot of guitar strings come in a single  plastic bag these days rather than in separate paper envelopes like they always used to do. Usually the first and second are wound together, the third and fourth, and the fifth and sixth. I think they have some colour coding, and sometimes paper tags to tell which is which, but it is possible to do it blind. If you hold one between the finger and thumb of one hand and the other between finger and thum of the other, then switch them back and forth, you soon get a feel for which is thicker, even though there's not a lot in it.

2018-10-14 20:52:01

Yeah when I went to string my  acoustic, my strings came in plastic bags paired up, and it threw me off because I was expecting the paper  sleeves.    I just put them side by side and feel for which one is thinner or thicker and go from there.    I think I have messed up maybe two or three times doing so, but at least it wasn't too bad.  As for winding around the tuning pegs, I like to put a bit of string on the pegs, so that way there's plenty of firmness .

For winding strings:
I will loop the string through the tuning peg, then I will place one hand on it's side on the 12th fret of my guitar, or about halfway between the  headstock and bridge, and then I will pull the string until it rests on top of the side of my hand, then I will start tensioning.  This ensures there's plenty of string on the tuning peg, but not so much that it's obnoxious. It makes about 5 to 8 complete loops around the tuning peg or even more, I never actually counted, but there are a few, so that way it doesn't slip, and this actually has kept my guitar in tune longer.

I've only Dealtt with a floyd rose locking  system maybe once or twice my whole life, and I have to say, those are a chore and a half in comparison to deal with.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-15 08:24:47

Yeah, that's why I prefer hardtail guitars and have avoided the instruments with Floyd Rose. I guess it depends on the strings. I use mainly strings by Elixir, which are more expensive, but they have a coating which makes them last longer. SO you don't have to change them so often. They are nicely organised into the paper envelopes.

2018-10-15 12:57:18 (edited by flackers 2018-10-15 12:57:50)

Yeah, I think it is the more expensive ones that still have the individual wrappings. For acoustic strings, I think people like DR and Thomastik still have envelopes too. But D'Addario are in plastic bags these days. I find their acoustic and electric strings are alright, but their nylon ones can suck.

2018-10-15 14:14:18

Yeah I like D'Addario strings.  I use their Pro Steels on my bass and am happy with those  but for guitar I'm still kinda nitpicky.  I'm settled for the dorp C  strings for 6 string and I don't recall the ones for my 7, but  they sound good.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-15 15:41:54

I recently switched to flatwounds for my bass. They're pretty expensive, and the first pack I bought, I lined the D string up with the G peg and cut it too short. Man I was pissed.

2018-10-15 16:04:34

Yeah, I can imagine!
Bass strings are more expensive in general, that's why people end up doing all sorts of tricks with old strings, such as boiling. As I use coated strings and this method is not recommended with them, I my self have never tried this, but in this video the difference is quite huge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67pdYATnRgE

2018-10-15 23:39:37

So one of my guitars has a floating bridge. It was cool at first, but now its annoying. Its hard to tune it because the bridge moves. Anyone know how to lock it in place? Also how do you lower the action, its pretty low but not as low as my other electric that I play more often. Someone told me something about screws on the bridge but I've never been shown how to do it or ever had it done to any of my guitars. This proticular guitar once had stringlocks on it too, but I took those off. Too much work to even go down to drop D, changed it from a quick 2 or 3 second job to a minute and a half, lol.

2018-10-16 11:10:44

Funny the link you give about boiling bass strings, the guy himself didn't think there was much difference, and sees it as a failed experiment.