2018-10-10 23:50:13

Hi all,

I have been searching for a stable, accessible and good daw for both my MIDI as well as audio recordings.
I used Sonar in the passed and then I headed over to Samplitude, but it hasn't been that stable and I also had issues with accessibility issues and scripts on my system.
I have been thinking about trying out Reaper instead since I heared about its flexibility and accessibility.
What do you think, has anyone used Samplitude with Reaper or just can give me some tips?
Is MIDI editing easy in Reaper? Replacing an etire note or several notes, etc?
Many thanks for your help!

2018-10-11 04:51:21

uh, well midi can be easy if you get used to it. I think you should give it a try, but some things are not like samplitude, at all. Still, you cannot go wrong checking out the wiki we have . there is a very nice, around 300 members group (mailing list) or a whatsapp group too, and they do have some more experience regarding samplitude and the use of other DAW programs, I am just a documentation and wiki maintainer amidst musical life but try to help whenever I can there.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-11 05:28:42

yeah I jumped from SOnar to Reaper and don't regret it one bit, it's very accessible, and I can do  just about everything, and even moreso with Reaper.  I love their routing and all.  endless possiblities.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-11 05:38:24

Reaper's midi is great.  It takes some getting used to but replacing midi notes, changing the key of notes, adding notes, is all doable very easily through the piano roll plus the num pad on your keyboard.

I switched to reaper a year ago and don't regret it.  You can do both midi and mixing in there really easily, so I'd say switch to it.

2018-10-11 23:20:32

Hi to all,

This sounds awsome, going to checkout the wiki of Reaper and see how that works.

When I use Samplitude, I had access to a huge library of instruments, like 70GB with Magix Independence. Maybe Kontakt is an option now instead?
What do you think? Many thanks!

2018-10-12 01:42:08

How does the replacing of midi notes work? Like for example, i have this particular note that I want to change because I think I am not satisfied with the outcome, and I wanna replace it. What I did is, I go to the midi editor and find that previous note and delete it. How do you insert a note? Do you have to getout to midi editor and record that note?

2018-10-12 05:13:35

Scroll to around where you want to insert the note and use the keystroke Control numpad five.  alt 1 and alt 3 on the numpat lengthen or shorten the note, volostiy  is7 and 9, moving it is 4 and 6.  Best thing I can say to do is hit F12 and mess aorund with trianing mode while the piano roll is open, that and the wiki are your best friends lol

2018-10-12 05:22:25

I have done an article on midi too which you can check out and have worked a lot with midi in the past. You can also position yourself in the note, and then use the numpad keys to change the pitch, velocity, ETC. or contorl plus f2 to change its properties. Reaper also has a command that lets you select all notes with the same pitch and so on . The midi tools bundled are just really geeky, sort of scary but great time savers.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-12 05:23:36

If you want to change a note that you already have selected, then you would simply find it in the midi notes, then press numpad 8 or numpad 2 to move it up and down  a semotone.   Holding Alt while operating these commands will move the note up and down an entire octave.

BTW in order for this tow ork, numlock must be turned on.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-12 11:22:52 (edited by Socheat 2018-10-12 11:23:43)

So I'm actually got Reaper installed on my pc. If I don't have midi instruments plugged in to my computer, can I still use Reaper?

2018-10-12 17:45:34

yes, it comes with a virtual midi keyboard but soon you realize how much more difficult that could be. It does work though should you wish to use it as a midi input.

2018-10-13 08:01:46

Thank you.