2010-08-24 20:56:02 (edited by Ethin 2010-08-24 20:57:47)

Have you all been wandering that you can't creat a account on Monopoly?
Hears why:
RSGame's Blog
The amazing blog of RS Games.
ZGP/General Update
July 29, 2010
There has been a bit of confusion about registration with Monopoly, and what exactly is going on here at RS Games. In this post, I’ll explain what we’ve been up to, and what to expect in the near future.
A New Game
Mike and I have been working hard to get our multiplayer game protocol working. We have done so successfully, and have developed the card game Uno, which is currently available to our private testers only. We expect more great games to be created using this protocol.
I can’t register for Monopoly!
I’ve received a few emails from people who seem a bit confused about registration. At this present time, we have closed registration to all users. This is because Mike and I are working on creating a new downloadable client, that will allow you to play Monopoly, Uno, and many other future games to come. In order to make Monopoly playable with our new client, we need to modify the existing code. However, we are modifying the code on a separate server, to prevent the existing client from not working. In order to keep the databases with the same registered players, we’ve closed registration. People who already have accounts may continue to enjoy the game.
When will this new client be finished?
We can’t give an exact date, but we will say we are working as fast as we can, and that it will be worth the wait. The protocol we have created has many useful features to the player, such as automatic sound downloading. This means that you can open up the client, select a brand new game, and start playing without having to open up your browser, download a setup file, install it, etc. Some other advantages include a more stable web client, the ability to run on Windows, Linux and Mac, as well as a mobile interface to the web client.
-Ryan
Leave a Comment » |  Uncategorized |  Permalink
Posted by Ryan of RS Games

Monopoly Server Back Up!
June 14, 2010
The Monopoly server has unfortunately been down for the past 3 days, and is now up. I believe you all deserve to know why it has been down, and what our future plans are.
Each month, we pay half of our Linode (the name of our hosting company) bill to a person (who will remain unnamed). He pays the other half of the bill, even though he doesn’t make much use of the Linode. However, this month this person did not pay the other half. Linode therefore gave this person 10 days to pay, which he did not.  This caused our  Linode account to be suspended, which means Monopoly is down. We were not aware that this person did not pay the bill, and were completely shocked when the Linode went down.
Since the Linode account details and information is in his name, we could not pay the other half. Our only option was to wait for him to reply to our aggressive attempts at contacting him. We, as of this posting, still have not heard of this person. The Linode account that hosted Monopoly before June 10, is still suspended. We didn’t want to change the account settings, and “take over” this persons account.
So, how is Monopoly up? The Monopoly “server” stores players information in a database. Since we had a very recent backup of the Monopoly database, we decided to ask our friend James, who hosted Monopoly in its infancy, to host us temporarily. We would like to extend our thanks to him, because without him, Monopoly would be down.
We are eager to return to our own Linode, because we do have things (such as a few aspects of ZGP)  that require root (administrator) privileges.  We are still attempting to contact the person who hasn’t paid or let us take over his account yet. Until then, please enjoy Monopoly on Jame’s server, which isn’t much different from our Linode server.
The three days downtime of Monopoly is both unacceptable and unprofessional on our part. We are truly sorry for this downtime, and will take steps to avoid this in the future. Once we establish contact with this person, we will ask to take over the account, and move to a new Linode account, completely under our control. By doing this, we will prevent this from happening ever again.
Also, you will not have to re-download anything. The Monopoly client will automatically connect to the temporary server.

An Exciting Update!
May 10, 2010
I’d like to start off this post with an apology for not giving the public updates as frequently as they deserve. Our main purpose in giving you this update is to explain what to expect from us in the near future, and to assure you all that RS Games has been working hard in the past few months.
So, what have we been working on in the past few months?
After the release of Monopoly, we immediately realized what we wanted to be our main focus – multiplayer games. Our first issue was very clear: there wasn’t an easy way for us to design and give the end user our program without dealing with lots of different code.
What’s the solution to your problem?
The solution is to make one program. As we thought about this, another problem became apparent: how would we add new games? The answer to this question is to make the client stupid, and let the server do all the controlling.
Your making the client stupid? How is all this going to work?
We have designed a simple protocol, we call ZGP, that the client and server interact with. ZGP handles:
• Key Presses: Instead of a pre-defined set of keys, the server tells the client what the keystrokes will be.
• Sound Playing: Instead of only some sounds being played when the server requests it, all sounds will be played, looped, or stopped through the server.
• Sound Downloading: The client will automatically download new sounds that have been added or changed.
• Getting Rid of Game Specific Elements: In Monopoly, we made use of a specific assets command, that sent the client a string that requires lots of parsing. With ZGP, we do away with game specific elements, and use simple messages instead.
If your a developer, you might already start to see the benefit of a client that uses ZGP. Here are some we can see:
• Bug Fixes:Since almost all the behavior of the client is controlled by the server, bug fixes can be made instantly, with no effort on the part of the gamer. This saves work for everyone.
• Adding New Games: When the client starts up, the user is asked to login/register, and then a list of games are presented to them. Because the server does almost all the controlling of the client, we can add new games right away, without the user having to do any work. ZGP also makes it easier for the developers to design, test, and distribute the game to the players; causing more games to be produced.
• Automatic Sound Downloading: Let’s say you logged into the client, and you browse through the choices available to you. You select, for arguments sake, “Uno”, a game you haven’t seen before. The sounds are automatically downloaded for you, and once this completes, you can immediately start playing the game!
Is this game for Windows only?
No! In Monopoly, users of Linux and Mac OS X were stuck with using the web version. Perhaps one of the most exciting feature of our client is support for Windows, Mac and Linux! Instead of making use of the .NET Framework, we have decided to use the cross-platform language Python and cross-platform sound library PyGame.
What’s going to happen to Monopoly?
Monopoly is going to be switched over to our new protocol, and will thus use the client. When we release this client, the existing Monopoly program can be deleted, and the new program installed. Since all your information is stored on the server, uninstalling the Monopoly program won’t have any effect on your data.
How far in progress is this? When should a release be expected?
We are quite far into development. The client is stable on Windows and Linux, and we are working hard to get the client stable on Mac. We can’t make any promises, but we are hoping for a release in a month or so. We hope to have another game (Uno) completed by the time we release the new client.
Sound Requests
We are currently working on implementing Uno through our ZGP protocol. If you have any Uno, or card-related sounds, we could really use them.  Please send them to [email protected].

1 Comment |  Uncategorized |  Permalink

Monopoly Update/Donations
January 21, 2010
Hi,
It’s been some time since I’ve posted here. Since my last post, we’ve had great success with our Monopoly game. (RS Game’s free multiplayer rendition of the popular board game Monopoly. There is a program for the PC, and users on other operating systems can use). There are over 1000 registered players, at the time of this writing. Yesterday, we’ve released a patch that fixes problems with the game (and is much easier on memory). We’ve also added some features. Please go check it out for yourself: www.rsgames.co.nr/Monopoly.php
As you may know, Monopoly is a free game, running on a server that costs money. This server makes multiplayer game play significantly more smooth and easy on the end user. In some other multiplayer games, you must learn the opponents IP address, must know how to forward ports, and is limited to 1 other player. This isn’t the case with our game. You simple login, and look for opponents to play. RS Games is in need of donations. The server is not free, and we have plans to buy better sounds, a  more advanced sound library, etc. In order for RS Games to grow, we could really use your help. Please go to: http://www.rsgames.co.nr/donate.html to donate today. All and any donations are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
-Ryan, Head of RS Games
1 Comment |  Uncategorized |  Permalink

Monopoly
October 13, 2009
Hi,
No update to this blog in a while. I am excited to say Mike F, Jayson Smith and myself have been programming a multi-player Monopoly game. It is the first release by RS Games to include full multi-player capabilities, as well as using the .NET Framework. We have a lot of the game currently programmed, and are hoping for a release sometime in the near future.
Monopoly
In many multi-player games, you are required to bother friends and ask for IP’s. This can get annoying. We have a server programmed that handles all of this for you. All you do is connect and login. Another problem we found with multi-player game’s is that they require port forwarding because many people (including myself) are behind routers. With this server, we eliminate the need for port forwarding.
We realize that people may not be available all day. To remedy this, we have spent time programming “Bots”, in which you can play against. You can play with just bots, just humans or a mix of both. The Monopoly game also features a text chat, increasing interaction between users.
While the majority of our users will probably be using Microsoft Windows, what about Mac and Linux users? What about people with phones? A decision we have made is to create a port what will run inside the browser. We aren’t using Flash or Java. It will be a 100% JavaScript solution. All popular operating system’s and decent phones (such as the Iphone and some devices such as the IpodTouch) have web browsers capable of rendering JavaScript. Using JavaScript opens the possibilities up to things that don’t allow development such as Braille Note’s. Additionally, using JavaScript is entirely done with a web browser. This allows people who are sighted to play.  Keep in mind that JavaScript is a much more limited programming language then something like C#.NET. I cannot guarantee the success of this JavaScript port.
We certainly hope you will enjoy our upcoming release of Monopoly.
General RS Games News
I am doing my best to clear the scoreboards each month. You will notice that you will have a better chance of being added to the scoreboards then before.
I have spent some time awhile ago working on a basic Shoot Da Me port in the Mono framework. This allows people who have popular Linux distros and Mac’s to play a basic game of Shoot Da Me. More details will be release in the future.
Beta Testers/Sound Engineers
RS Games is currently in need of people who are wishing to volunteer for a Beta Testing or Sound Engineering position. We welcome anyone who wants to help out (We will have as many beta testers and sound engineers that wish to provide assistance in game development).
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Multiplayer System
November 7, 2008
Hi,
[See rsgames.co.nr before reading post]
Well, here is a bit for advanced overview of how the system works:
The System
-Server [Host Game]
1) Send Name to PHP file
2) PHP file adds IP, and appends to a file
3) User waits there until ConnectionRequest from Winsock
(Once the user get’s a request for a connection)
4) Download the file (with all the user’s), run through a loop to find the user’s name and IP. Once it is found, it calls another PHP file to delete that specific line number.
-Client [Join Game]
1) Download file with IP’s/Name from Internet
2) Loop through them, constructing a menu.
3) User uses up/down and enter keys to choose options
4) Connect to user with given IP from file. (Triggers Connection Request on Server)
Note: The webserver does not host the game, just the PHP files and the file. The connection (sending of data back/forth to play game) is done directly between the 2 computer’s, which is why they are called Server and Client.
If you have any questions on how the system works, you can email me [make into real email], rsgames a-t- gmail dot com, or post a comment, although I will probably not check it.
The Possibilities
The possibilties of this system are exactly that of another audiogame with the regular ‘type in the IP’. The actual coding of the multiplayer is done exactly if it’s the ‘type in the IP’ method. [If you haven't noticed, we are using WinSocks]
The Game
I will most likely be creating a boxing game. This game won’t be based ONLY on how fast you punch. It’ll also be based on slight randomness (health deduction). In the boxing game, you punch with your right and left arrows [panned punch sound], and it makes a grunt sound [panned] on the victim’s end. I don’t know how I am going to do blocking shots yet..
-Ryan Smith

The World of 3D..entering Shoot Da Me
April 12, 2008
Hi! My first question I’d like you to keep in mind is, will this 3D part be too easy, normal, or challenging! For those who do not know, after the side scroller, you realize the boss is not there, and are forced into a 3D exploration game for the boss, based on clues from people, tracks left, and other means of detection. This isn’t just a walk around and find. First of all, I plan to have over 4000 steps, into woods, houses, walkways, and some guards. For the sake of challenging games, I will not reveal where the boss is. I also may put a 7 or so minute time limit on it, which may not be enough. I really don’t know. Also, if possible, I like to organise and “sketch” the ideas, so I have a visual to look at. Here is my poor ability to describe things.
Description of 3D World in SDM
Okay, basically you have your directions, forward, backword, jumping in air, landing on ground (or on the ground), and left and right. You start directly on the “street”, but there’s no cars. Next to every several steps on the road, on the left and right, are Houses. So far 16 houses. Each containing a human being, which you can talk to using preset questions, which they will answer. (Some are dumb, some babble) Aside from that there’s grass, and people just walking. When you start, you are at the bottom middle. Towards the left of that (when ya start go left) you go into the “Fury Forest” for lack of a better name. There will be mild creatures that may need punching therapy <Smile>, and there will be people there, also answering questions, and some undercover Gang of Fire members set up to abduct you. To ward them off, <SPOILER> use you handy dandy anthrax <END SPOILER> to weaken them, and then several punches, quickly, before then gain energy. The boss could be on the walk way. He could be right in front of your face. He could be deep in the forest. The clues can somewhat help you know where he might be.

I am very excited to start this. This is somewhat difficult, but just a lengthy process in my opinion. I hope you enjoy this upcoming 3D world. I would love to here some comments, whether on private email ([email protected]), the AG-Forum or Audyssey, some ideas, feedback would be appreciated
-Ryan Smith

Side Scroller Update 1/Another SDM Idea/Contest Winners!
March 23, 2008
Hi Folks,
I will be updating this blog allot during this time. I’ll be adding and playing with new things with the SDM Mini-Side Scroller. All I have to do is open up a program, type and hit publish. Please comment or email us so we can hear some of your feedback. I normally don’t like announcing things, but for this game, I’d rather have more feedback. With that said, let’s get on to our actual update.
Side Scroller Update 1
I have a fully working side scroller, with half of level one complete. With several timers, some to simulate gravity, some to simulate guards shooting, and one to time the entire game. If you take longer than 25 seconds (for now) it goes back to the main menu. This is only half being done, and I am most likely going to  be adding allot more to our side scroller. Right now we have guards, state boosters (kinda like power ups) as well as blocks, which you must power jump over. We also have bomb targets, you just walk past them. Additionally, there will always be an anthrax dropping. There will be a random 50/50 chance each level. If you get infected, another timer will be their, and you’ll die within 10 seconds (how sad smile )      
Another SDM Idea
3D FPS style mini-game anyone? So here’s the deal after you beat SDM (Left, Right and Middle). You go to the side scroller. If you beat the side scroller, you might enter a 3D FSP style game. You will walk around, following clues written on walls, and tracks, to find him. I may not give you a sound to follow by. Only the clues from the wall, and tracks…. My interpretation on a 3D style game is In the Air, On the Ground, Forward (Walking in front), Backwards (Walking in back), Left Walking and Right Walking. I will do my best to simulate gravity, velocity, etc. All you’ll be doing is finding him. If your smart, you’ll stop and pick up items, (spoiler ahead***) (Spoiler Here: Pick up the anthrax. Shoot it at the boss, he’ll go weak. All you have to do is dodge him, and shoot him like in Beta 3. If you don’t give him the anthrax, he’ll shoot you right away) Spoiler Ended. I’ll also try not to fake the Y axis. Your not really going to need to jump anyway! It’s really just an exploration. Also, when you get hit by guards, you die. When you bump into things, health and score is deducted. Most of your score will be coming from the Left Right Middle.
Yet Again Another SDM Idea
This idea is going to keep those people from getting 400′s. Throughout the game, occasionally, there will be bombs that automatically hit you. 50 Points are deducted every time you get hit. They can be turned off though. You will figure it out once you beat the game! (Once you beat the Left Right Middle, something will appear)

Contest Winners
Fantastic Job to all who participated in our SDM Contest. The winners of March 2008 Contest is:
First Place: Claudio Zeni
Second Place: Matthew Alvernaz
Third Place: Claudio Zeni
Fourth Place: Eawder Joanne
Fifth Place: Karl Belanger
Great Job! We hope to see you guys on the boards next time!
We are hoping you enjoy our new editions. If you some reason you like another idea better, I’ll see what others want. Majority Rules, as long as I like it as well. Too bad for you.
See you next time.
-Ryan Smith

Huge Updates
February 29, 2008
Hi,
Well I’ve got alot to say here. We’ve added ‘RS Games Typing Suite 2008′ to our Game List, which is still, or just beginning development. It will be teaching the basics of typing, as well as games, drills and tests, plus user accounts, individual records, and a master record for teachers to see all progress of every account. They are also many useful and no so useful utilities included, such as RichText, an editor almost better than WordPad. MiniCalc, a simple calculator getting the job done, and SRK Remover, a virus (SRK), that was popular some time ago, now prevents it. It hopefully will include multi-player support for games, and much more.We’ve also added to our CSS…please still only copy the one given in the dev center…
Also, we’ll *hopefully* be starting our contest this Friday. There is no prize, however, users will get some in the future (next contest probable). We also are considering starting a kind of “point” based system, this is still being debated, and elaborated on.
Note: Bigger projects do have a “storyboard” containing deep info about the game. One is being worked upon for our suite. We have changed Part 2 to Form_KeyDown, an input system, best for anyone reading right now.
Also we will be releasing a patch for SDM of the Scoreboards, since we moved, so you can start posting your score.
Also, we are starting our contest, most likely tomorrow, I know I mentioned it, but the boards will be functional, but it might be delayed into Saturday or even Sunday…hopefully not later, although everything seems to be in order, I will be testing things..
For YIF, RS Games updates there site almost daily. Please check the news archives, important info on how we handle the contests, rules etc, are very important, as well as updates to the website. Our buttons got deleted as our directory was, and they are removed, and will most likely not be coming back. Everything else seems to be up, and in shape again, so please enjoy SDM…

We’ve Moved/Contest Update
February 25, 2008
Hi,
We were all ready to start the contest, until spammers decide to do there thing. I unfortunately have to prove innocence, bla bla bla, until then my dir. got deleted off of ACE Hosting.  We were planning, but now we have moved to X-Sight Hosting, we hope this to be the best host yet. Anyway, as on a new server, I need to update things, but luckily, before the spam, I did my weekly update, and my data was quickly restored. All but the scoreboards, which are being edited for X-Sight Hosting, and a PATCH WILL have to come out, very soon, to fix this scoreboard URL to this new one, and while I’m at it, I’ll fix some bugs. We’ve changed our .co.nr.
Contest Update
As previously mentioned, we were ready to start the contest, I am sorry before about the website saying they started, that’s how ready we were.  The boards need to be re-adjusted again, for (1) the contest and (2) X-Sight Hosting. We will again be trying to start the contest, probably this Friday. Our Anti-Cheating system works, and detailed instructions/rules can be found on our site www.rsgames.x-sight-interactive.net/sdmcontest.html.  No prizes are given out the first contest, however when the game, or contest edition gets significantly more challenging, prizes will be distributed.

« Previous Entries

Archives
• July 2010
• June 2010
• May 2010
• January 2010
• October 2009
• November 2008
• April 2008
• March 2008
• February 2008
• January 2008
• December 2007
• November 2007

Categories
• Uncategorized

Blogroll
• RS Games Official Site
• Ryan\’s Wordpress Blog
• X-Sight-Interactive

Meta
• Register
• Valid XHTML
• XFN
• WordPress.com
Theme Contempt by Vault9.
Blog at WordPress.com.

Have fun reading the 24384 topicblog!

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2010-08-24 21:05:01

Any chance you could have just stuck to posting the address and a brief explanation rather than copying the whole page? Frankly that's spammy, and anyone reading would still need to look up the blog on google or somewhere to keep informed.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-08-25 06:06:49

I couldn't do that. I thaut you all could just read it insted of going to the page. Does that make cence?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2010-08-25 11:10:36

penty, welcom to the forum!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2010-08-25 12:47:34

Burak, just a heads up, Penty was a spammer.

Ethin, no it doesn't make sense. What was the problem, did posting a link not work?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-08-25 21:22:35

Yes! Thats correct. It didn't work. Tryed the link and it just took me to a strange sight. It was the correct link.

My Github

2010-08-26 06:49:07

Direct link to the blog: http://rsgames.wordpress.com
Latest blog post: http://rsgames.wordpress.com/2010/07/29 … al-update/

Here in this instance = h e r e. Were you trying to be funny?

2010-08-26 18:09:10

MagicalGoat:

Welcome and thanks for the direct link. About the h e a r and h e r e I think he just can't spell.

cx2
-----

2010-08-27 00:27:55

Hey! I can!

My Github

2010-08-27 08:49:35

You can what?

2010-08-27 15:34:51

He means he can spell, a reference to my post I believe.

cx2
-----