2018-09-22 20:31:16

So just a few points:

1. If you have to have to use such language as "flaws" or "freedom science fiction", you are showing your bias, and seriously torpedoing your own objectivity.
2. There is no doubt whatsoever that Jaws has stumbled quite a bit in the last few years. None at all. I'm a Jaws user, and I'll put it with no bark on it. But to claim that Jaws is not feature-rich is silly; that's one of its potential criticisms, in fact...it's so huge and bloated that it might have arguably too many features. I'm not making a case on whether it is or is not better than NVDA - that's a personal choice thing in many cases - but to claim it's not feature-rich is just silly. This screenreader has its faults, but it also does a whole lot of things right.
3. There may be laws involved which are mandating the U.S. preferential treatment. It is probably not as simple as "we're American, so we are going to give Americans the best of the best because we're great like that". This doesn't mean it's okay, because it isn't; I have a ton of sympathy for people in other countries who want to use Jaws and simply can't afford the asking price. But you may be reducing the complexity of the issue without first considering how deep it might go.
4. The personal attacks need to stop. Where did we fall from such that we can't just have a civil discussion about the issue?
5. To the main topic at hand, a beta is not a full release, and if there are other things being planned or finalized which aren't here yet, maybe a little patience is due. I do agree that a bug fix is not an actual feature, but to dismiss it as without value is shortsighted. I personally prefer tab being spoken, but that's just me and what I'm used to.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-09-22 21:19:09

Nobody really dismissed bugfixes, they are in every software update. However, they also have their own sections. I don't also know where did you see personal attacks except talking about Orko in a few posts, but those were not attacks, just pointing out how it really messes up the conversation when you delete a post. Also, a public beta usually means all the feature ideas are finished, and they just need to make sure there aren't any major bugs left. If it was an alpha release, then yes, we might see more features, but as it stands all the apps I've used provide a public beta not to get feature suggestions, but feedback about possible bugs or regressions.

2018-09-22 22:13:44

76. JAWS is indeed, feature rich. but it is massively falling behind. nothing in JAWS 2019 has excited me. nothing in the last few years, has been life changing. I dare to go as far as saying that most of the powerful features, such as the script manager, have been there, probably long since before my existence. so what happened?
also, the FLAWS thing. that's also been around for longer than I can remember, I just used it since it fitted the context. no one can argue that JAWS is useless, or it doesn't have it's uses. for instance, WINDOWS mobile device center. with NVDA, everything is totally unlabeled.

77. actually, speaking mainly about IOS, features are keep being added and removed. for instance, IOS12, and group face time. as of beta 7 or so, we lost it. now I heard roomers that it's back in 12.1. so certainly looking out for JFW beta 2, and hoping that this is only the start of things.

2018-09-23 03:10:19

Yeah, but those are operating system with much bigger companies behind them. The same goes for Windows insider, though that's a different kind of beta. Based on the past, jaws wont really have 5 or 6 betas, at most 2 or 3.

2018-10-07 04:56:36 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-10-07 04:57:26)

hahaha, I have to admit that the post right above is the most helpful, researched and informative post of the decade.
lets see,
New features in beta 2:

Speak Character Phonetically After Pause During Character Navigation
Only feature that is probably not anywhere except,oops, free talkback on android has this!
Prompt to Confirm when Exiting JAWS Now Optional
really? NVDA, and probably narrator has this.. oh yes, orca did
Notification of Spelling Errors in Word 365
that is a bug fix
New Consolidated Setup Package
correction: Smaller installer, requires internet connection, we will choose your version for you
Offline Installer for Secure Environments
or... yet a larger installer which made us world famous.

nice to see they at least did more bug fixing on this one though.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-07 07:03:05

"Sound after spelling errors: No, this is a new feature, not a bug fix, that does not exist on any other Windows screen reader that I will find very useful."

This feature has been in NVDA since NVDA 2016.2, thank you very much. Personally, my view of this release of JAWS is that I see it as a 'fix what's already there and try to copy useful features from other popular screen readers and requested features from customers' release.

2018-10-07 07:46:27

oh I was so excited to find out I could now have the option to make jaws not ask me if I wanted to quit. that extra fraction of a second to press enter makes the world of difference.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-07 08:09:49

At least they made that multiline edit field announcement optional in this one. That thing was taking some time to get use to. Also, I swear Windows 10 1809 killed the new JAWS startup time, at least on my end.

2018-10-07 08:19:57 (edited by Chris 2018-10-07 08:21:47)

The only good thing I will say about this new version is that they're finally rolling out a subscription service for JAWS. Pay $90 a year and you can keep up with all the new bug fix versions (I mean new awesome fully featured versions). Why don't they get rid of those horrid SMAs for good? Why didn't they have a subscription service years ago? It's great for those that actually value the product, but I'd much rather give those $90 to NV Access.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-10-07 08:40:30

i'll admit the subscription feature is interesting, but isn't actually an upgrade. plus you know it will cost over twice as much outside the US as they are claiming. I do feel like people who have bought the full version plus SMA's over the years have been screwed over though. especially if you just payed for a hole new copy and an SMA 6 months ago with your hard earned and saved cash then suddenly find out, oops, if I'd waited, I could have just payed 90 bucks a year instead. and they won't be refunding that.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-07 08:53:09

If a 120 dollar SMA gets you two years of upgrades, that's actually 30 dollars less than a 90 dollar per year subscribtion. I think you're getting more for that extra 30 dollars though. The ability to move your license around is pretty neat, but I'm not sure if this is just for JAWS Home or Professional as well. Either way, at least people won't have to pay over 400 dollars or so to get up to speed if they fall behind.