2018-10-05 18:58:24

I am in the process of putting together a new 64 bit Windows 10 system to replace my aging 32 bit Windows 7 system.

I just finished installing and setting up Code Factory's Eloquence for Windows on it. The installation, activation, configuration, and importing of my pronounciation dictionary all went smoothly.

The problem I am now encountering that I hope someone might have an answer for is that the ETI Eloquence voice is not showing up as an available voice in the text to speech settings. According to Code Factory's FAQs, this program is supposed to be compatible with both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and higher.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks!

2018-10-05 19:38:19

Not sure what I can suggest other than just to contact Code Factory and maybe do a reinstallation in case some registry entries somewhere weren't added.

I have used the Eloquence demo on a few 64-bit windows 10 installations with native 64-bit apps like Narrator and TeamTalk as well as the 64-bit SAPI control panel and they showed up and worked fine.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2018-10-05 20:46:15 (edited by Orko 2018-10-05 21:14:24)

I have already sent code factory an email about this problem, hopefully they will answer, the last time I tried to get tech support from them they ignored me. So I posted the question here as a backup.

I did try a reinstall and noticed that it installs into Program Files (x86) indicating that it is purely a 32 bit program, could that be the cause? As far as I know it is the latest version (1.5.0) from their web site.

Update: If I go to narrator settings, I can set narrator's voice to ETI Eloquence, but if I go to text to speech settings to set the default text to speech voice, all I get are the Microsoft voices.

2018-10-05 21:23:32

32 bit voices only show up in the older speech properties control pannel that needs to be opened manually, which is probably where the problem is coming from.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-10-06 00:11:22

Which probably means that a 32 bit voice like ETI Eloquence can't be set as the default SAPI voice on a 64 bit system.

That's frigging annoying, at least the Microsoft voices that come with Windows 10 are far superior to what came with Windows 7.

Still, even if it can be used for Narrator, Code Factory should warn people that Eloquence has limited usability in 64 bit systems instead of saying that it's fully compatible, that's rather misleading in my opinion.

2018-10-06 00:17:22

I think it still can be set as the computers default voice, you just need to open the 32 bit control pannel. If I am not mistaken, it should work still.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-10-06 00:35:20 (edited by flackers 2018-10-06 00:36:56)

I've uninstalled it because it's a pain, but I'm sure it should show up in the normal tts window even on a 64bit system. You shouldn't have to run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl. I think it is properly 64bit compatible like the microsoft voices.

2018-10-06 16:09:32

@TJT1234

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That did the trick! Thumbs up!

@Flackers

Contrary to your belief, it appears that the 64 bit text to speech settings applet only recognizes 64 bit voices even though 32 bit voices are apparently perfectly usable, because even with Eloquence for Windows installed, the 64 bit applet never shows it as an available option.

2018-10-06 16:54:56 (edited by flackers 2018-10-06 17:02:36)

This is going to make me look like one of those pricks who can never accept being wrong, but I was sure it does show up in the normal window, so I just reinstalled it on my win 7 64 bit. It's okay on my system. I don't need to open the sapi.cpl in syswow64 to get it to appear in the list. And I can use it with narrator. I can't use any other 32bit voices with narrator. It does install into x86 though, so I have no idea what's up with it.

2018-10-06 17:06:20

That's wierd, in the Narrator settings Eloquence does show up, no problem, but only the three default Microsoft voices show up in the 64 bit text to speech settings

Just out of curiosity, what version of Eloquence are you using, I just downloaded the latest version, 1.5.5, from their web site.

It's not that big a deal if I have to use the 32 bit control panel to set it up, you only have to do it once after all.

2018-10-06 17:06:54

The voices are definitely 64-bit compatible. If you go intot he folder there's a separate folder with 32-bit DLL's. But just to be sure I wasn't misremembering I just downloaded the latest installer which is newer than what I had, and like flackers said I can see the voice in the normal 64-bit sapi control panel and use it with Narrator which is a 64-bit app. So there's something going on on your system.

Also, people might be confusing the code factory eloquence with the one you can get on certain sites. That one is indeed 32-bit only and has other problems.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2018-10-06 18:24:27

I don't know what that would be unless JAWS has something to do with it because I just barely installed Windows 10 on it a week ago.

2018-10-07 03:10:52

I wonder if that piece of crap DRM called Themedia that Code Factory uses could be behind the strange behavior. It wouldn't be the first time I've had problems with it interfering or causing problems for other unrelated software.

2018-10-07 04:26:24

OK. For me, I don't care if I have to use the 32 bit control panel applet to select it, as long as it works, and it seems to. It just seems odd that the 64 bit applet sees it on some systems and not on others.