2018-10-03 18:01:25

Hi guys!

My name is Emanuella, I'm from Brazil and I'm here cuz I'm doing a survey on game accessibility.
I have a questionaire that I would like you guys to answer and give your opinion on games and the features used in it to make it accessible. In case of any doubt, I'm here to answer you.

On the end of this message will be the link to the survey.

Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp … A/viewform

2018-10-03 18:23:08

did the survey

2018-10-03 19:14:43

I did it too.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-10-03 21:26:12

done

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-03 21:45:26

Thank you guys! You really helped me and I hope you guys liked it.

2018-10-03 22:19:19 (edited by defender 2018-10-04 19:56:55)

I found the select what you think is essential in a game to make it accessible section confusing.

3D audio is always nice, as AHC has shown us, but isn't always needed, completely depends on the game, in a side scrolling fighting game or beatemup, all you need is stereo with total channel separation for each side, and in a turn based strategy game, their is no need to turn towards a sound, but in a 2d/3d shooter or object heavy adventure game/rpg it's vital.

A sonar is not needed as long as you have a way to see what items are around you using TTS of some kind, good examples of this are Shades of Doom, the BK series, and the new tomb hunter. though it could be a supplement, and I can see it being allot easier to put into a video game than TTS... But in action heavy games/reverb heavy environments it'd be hard to hear anyway... It really depends on the game, if it's telling you about deadly hazards or places you could go, such as doorways, containers, or platforms like in A Hero's Call and BK3, than that'd be invaluable, but something you trigger your self just to get an idea of the space or see how far away the wall is usually has limited usefulness in my experience.

Sonification is something else where TTS would be just as useful and potentially more intuitive, but again it depends on the game. If we're talking an action heavy fighter, than a quick, unique sounding readout for various power meters would be a great use for it, but in a strategy game or RPG? you have so many potential stats and buffs/debuffs that it can't easily be represented I'd imagine. But again, no useful way to get TTS into the actual game has been found yet anyway for console gaming so it's kind of a moot point.

Skipping and repeating cutscenes is important for any player, so not sure why it's included here.

When you say guided installation, I'm confused, aren't most installations for games guided in some way, I mean it's not like setting up a linux server... If you just mean voiced than yes, that would be necessary of course, but otherwise I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think their is any problem messing around with an .ini file or CMD a bit as long as the instructions are good and the process it's self is accessible with standard screen reading software...

Auto aim is only necessary if the game can't be played without it, that would be one of those adding accessibility after the fact kinds of things, but an audio crosshair or something would always be preferred I'd think, no one wants the game dumbed down when it doesn't have to be.

Button remapping has nothing to do with sight, least not anything I can think of...

2018-10-04 04:08:04

defender wrote:

I found the select what you think is essential in a game to make it accessible section confusing.
3D audio is always nice, as AHC has shown us, but isn't always needed, completely depends on the game, in a side scrolling fighting game or beatemup, all you need is stereo with total channel separation for each side, and in a turn based strategy game, their is no need to turn towards a sound, but in a 2d/3d shooter or object heavy adventuregame/rpg it's vital.
A sonar is not needed as long as you have a way to see what items are around you using TTS of some kind, good examples of this are Shades of Doom, the BK series, and the new tomb hunter. though it could be a supplement, and I can see it being allot easier to put into a video game than TTS... But in action heavy games/reverb heavy environments it'd be hard to hear anyway... It really depends on the game, if it's telling you about deadly hazards or places you could go, such as doorways, containers, or platforms like in A Hero's Call and BK3, than that'd be invaluable, but something you trigger your self just to get an idea of the space or see how far away the wall is usually has limited usefulness in my experience.

Sonification is something else where TTS would be just as useful and potentially more intuitive, but again it depends on the game. If we're talking an action heavy fighter, than a quick, unique sounding readout for various power meters would be a great use for it, but in a strategy game or RPG? you have so many potential stats and buffs/debuffs that it can't easily be represented I'd imagine. But again, no useful way to get TTS into the actual game has been found yet anyway for console gaming so it's kind of a moot point.
Skipping and repeating cutscenes is important for any player, so not sure why it's included here.
When you say guided installation, I'm confused, aren't most installations for games guided in some way, I mean it's not like setting up a linux server... If you just mean voiced than yes, that would be necessary of course, but otherwise I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think their is any problem messing around with an .ini file or CMD a bit as long as the instructions are good and the process it's self is accessible with standard screen reading software...
Auto aim is only necessary if the game can't be played without it, that would be one of those adding accessibility after the fact kinds of things, but an audio crosshair or something would always be preferred I'd think, no one wants the game dumbed down when it doesn't have to be.
Button remapping has nothing to do with sight, least not anything I can think of...

Hi, thanks for your answer and such a great feedback. All that options on question 14 was taken from articles and guidelines for developing an accessible game. That kind of material, even being informative as it is, have a lot of problems such as not explaing it well the use of which feature or identifying when it is necessarie. So, feedback like yours, so full of information, help to make the guidelines more informative and helpfull.
Can I put your feedback in my research?
Once again, thanks for your answer and interest.

2018-10-04 16:01:02

answered :3
thanks for make this tongue

2018-10-04 16:30:36

Took the Survey.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2018-10-04 16:38:44

I also took this servay.

I would like to comment on few things, if you don't mind.

implimenting the accessibility in a already existing games will be much more harder, than developing a game which have the accessibility from the very beginning.

about the cutscenes, whether voice acted or read by screen readers, it depends. a lot of games do not have any voice acted cutscenes. in those cases, reading by screen readers would be quite useful. with that said, that doesn't mean that all the cutscenes have to be read by the screen readers.

my final point is, if screen readers can read the information in a strategy games like damage, or the location of the unit, etc. then playing those games will be much more easier. with that said, in a fighting game, that information is not necessary. in fact, it would be quite distracting. but again, if they can read the menus, the name of the characters, that would be nice.

then there are RPG's, and openworld games. map should be readable by a screen reader, and if a player is walking in the world, those audio features would come quite handy.

that is it for my response. I am sure you will get a lot more better responses then mine, considering there are a lot more experienced people here then myself.

2018-10-04 17:32:05

I answered that question with the "other checkbox" and wrote similar things.. 3d or stereo or tts really would depend on the game.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-04 17:36:34

Dark Eagle wrote:

I also took this servay.

I would like to comment on few things, if you don't mind.

implimenting the accessibility in a already existing games will be much more harder, than developing a game which have the accessibility from the very beginning.

about the cutscenes, whether voice acted or read by screen readers, it depends. a lot of games do not have any voice acted cutscenes. in those cases, reading by screen readers would be quite useful. with that said, that doesn't mean that all the cutscenes have to be read by the screen readers.

my final point is, if screen readers can read the information in a strategy games like damage, or the location of the unit, etc. then playing those games will be much more easier. with that said, in a fighting game, that information is not necessary. in fact, it would be quite distracting. but again, if they can read the menus, the name of the characters, that would be nice.

then there are RPG's, and openworld games. map should be readable by a screen reader, and if a player is walking in the world, those audio features would come quite handy.

that is it for my response. I am sure you will get a lot more better responses then mine, considering there are a lot more experienced people here then myself.

Hi Dark Eagle and thanks for your feedback!

The question about "implimenting a game or development it" is there cuz in a research done by Yuan, Folmer and Harris (Title: "Game Accessibility: A survey") it is indetified a preference by developers in use open source games to make it accessible because it looks like it is less work, since all the features, history, sound, etc, are already done. This research is from 2011, a little bit older, and I wanted to know how it is this days since I didn't find that information more recent. I hope some pleayers and developers could answer so we can se what the players want and what the developers do.

Really liked your feedback on the screen reader about damage/location/etc for strategy games, this also could be use in other genres such as rpg. 

Thanks again and your response was really good, can I use on the article of my survey?

2018-10-04 17:39:05

sanslash332 wrote:

answered :3
thanks for make this tongue

Juliantheaudiogamer wrote:

Took the Survey.

Thank you guys! Hope you liked, thanks for your response.

2018-10-04 17:43:24

UltraLeetJ wrote:

I answered that question with the "other checkbox" and wrote similar things.. 3d or stereo or tts really would depend on the game.

Thanks UltraLeet, a more explained answer really helps to figure out what is best for which case.
Thanks for your response.

2018-10-04 19:55:34 (edited by defender 2018-10-04 20:03:21)

Yes please feel free to put that in your research if you wish, and my Skype is "superfreq2" if you want to IM or voice chat more about this. I've already done a couple interviews over Skype about this kind of thing anyway, so I'm happy to help if I can.
I don't play mainstream games often so I can't be as much help as some people could, but I have been playing audio games for a long time and read articles about mainstream accessibility pretty often.

Oh also I forgot to mention, the voicing dialogs question is misleading, because first it asks you if you think voicing menus and dialogs is important (dialogs here meaning prompts rather than replacing cutscenes with text I assume) but then the "no" option mentions subtitles, which could be useful actually.
I would have also answered yes to audio described cutscenes being important, but I feel like that would be way too much work, that was kind of my answer for allot of things, sure that would be nice, even vital if it could happen, but it's unrealistic I think.
TTS subtitles would work allot better I think, but I've never used them and I wonder how crappy they would be, like how much it would pull you out of the game. I honestly think that transcripts might be a better option, either packaged with the game or on an external resource like a website.
They tend to give a better overview I feel, without having to condense information to fit the speed of the action, which in a video game can be more fast paced than a movie even.
Every time I've seen a well written text transcript of a video game cutscene or heard a video from someone trying to describe it like "audio described gaming" on youtube, it's been really helpful.
I think both would be ideal, tts sub title and longer transcripts, but I doubt people would take the time. Maybe if a community site was set up with the blessing of the game publishers?

2018-10-04 21:09:22

You can use my response for your research, Helena, just make sure that my spelling mistakes are fixed.

2018-10-06 16:40:16

completed the survey,
best regards