2018-10-05 11:15:23 (edited by Chris 2018-10-05 11:32:09)

I agree with the points concerning Braille. It's extremely important for literacy. The problem is that we don't yet have a decent refreshable Braille device. I'd love to read electronic books from my computer in Braille, but I'm not doing it on a single line of 40 cells that constantly has to refresh to display the next few words. I'm also not lugging around thousands of volumes of hardcopy Braille. I've read so many books that it would be impractical if they were all bound Braille books. I'd have to store the collection in a room or maybe two. Something needs to change soon. Braille is not dead, it simply hasn't properly adapted to the digital age.

Hopefully the situation will improve within the next 5 or 10 years. I wish I had a refreshable Braille page in school instead of using huge Braille math textbooks that comprised about 40 or 50 volumes and took up a whole wall. We need a refreshable page that's reasonably priced. Why someone hasn't figured out how to produce refreshable braille cells with cheap materials after more than 30 years is beyond me. I know there are several projects in the works, but they've been going on for years and I still don't have a finished product in my hands. Why don't all these people moaning about the doom and gloom the lack of Braille entails stop bitching and produce something useful for everyone?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-10-05 13:22:20

Agree with everything ironcross says about spelling. He is absolutely right when he says use a spellchecker and examine the mistakes you make. Non-braille users will still have to work a lot harder to have good spelling, but if you're spelling simple five letter words wrong, it's going to make people think it's a lack of intelligence rather than a lack of reference material.

2018-10-05 13:59:32

It's screen reader's fault, lol. Well actually it's my fault too for not looking it up more carefully. It may be part of my writer's attitude that I take misspelling seriously. I feel boggled every time when someone points out what I spell wrong, though I know I've been misspelling like crazy all this time, lol.
And, agree about the 40 cells braille display. Scrolling is a bloody pain.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2019-03-28 17:20:32

Finding motivation to learn is my biggest challenge. I often procrastinate over college work and homework, often use top 10 writing services. It's tough for me to concentrate. It's tempting to just have a glance at my gadget for any message , and so often 'just one glance' turns into hour or so and it's impossible to pull myself away from it...

2019-03-28 18:50:26

Maaaaan!  I've never written anything accademic with massive amounts of thought; all school asignments suck as far as I'm concerned.
I'd crank out essays and other written papers within an hour of them being do and teachers would hate me for it.  They'd knock off a couple of points here and there because I never gave them a rough draft, a brainstorming paper, all the usual garbage they ask for on a regular basis... I'm just not that kind of guy.  If it's not worth writing I'm not going to write it.
Sadly, that philosophy only works if you're out to be a rebellious punk, which I was at the time.  I still can't write like that though.  The most I do if I need to write something is write it first, deliberately forget to use spelling and grammar checkers, finish, call it a rough draft.  Change the wording.  Call it a second draft.  Check spelling.  Call it a third draft... I know I know, I'm horrible.
The horrid thing with many highschool asignments is that, on many occasions, you'll have to write on subjects you're either not passionate about or try to write from a perspective you clearly don't believe in.  I'm not sure if school is purposely out to raise a bunch of liars...

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.