2009-09-07 03:07:32

I have heard of it being done, ----- and I'm sorry to say we've seen it at least a couple of times here too.

Generally though, people causing trouble are slightly more intelligent than spambots in their irritating habbits, ------ very, very! slightly! more intelligent.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-09-07 04:09:34

Well people trying to cause problems for a specific site can naturally tailor their efforts to the specific site in question. I doubt the Fartman defence would do much against someone specifically targetting audiogames.net just for abuse.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-09-07 08:28:33

Well, it would seem to be those circumstances which require moderator attention, ----- though if anyone is such an idiot as to specifically cause trouble on a website, I personally think they should be locked in a very, very small airtight room with Fartman for a good long while ;D.

Up until recently I would've said we were hopefully free of such things, ----- but having had to boot someon for distinct maliciousness a while ago it seems not.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-09-07 10:52:57

Well after the incident where someone posted those strings that kill eloquence I'm not at all surprised. I also believe a VI individual specifically targetted the mud Miriani some time ago with some repeated and very malicious attacks. The kind that are likely to take the server offline or make it unavailable.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-09-07 20:37:36

I think that a captcha system with a sound file, a question or an image can be improved. The images isn't a problem that is very hard to solve if the people use Firefox with Webvisum.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2009-09-07 20:58:39

Webvisum I personally find nothing short of atrocious. Its attempts to reformat pages seem to more often than not cause them to stop working properly, at least if they rely on javascript or similar, and the settings are a complete nightmare to change. That's why I gave up on using it.

You also can't rely on webvisum, not everyone uses Firefox or even uses windows. Plus if anything ever happened to webvisum, we'd be stuffed.

cx2
-----

2010-08-23 00:52:14

I see all of you're points. Spambots are just anoiing! It just doesn't make any cence! A few weeks ago, I got over 172 or 1000 emails in my junkemail eara!

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github