2010-07-30 18:14:40

i didn't want to put this in my computer is make a constent highpiched noys because it's off that topic but why does a harddrive have to move? i know the fan move's but the harddrive?

2010-07-30 18:21:54

Same reason as a cd has to spin, so that the computer can read what is on the disk, sinse it is literally a disk!

That's why the term "hard disk" is stil used.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-07-30 18:48:32

thanks. does the harddrive spin at the same speed as a disk. i can hear a disk spinning in the d: drive but i can't hear my harddrive(disk) spinning.

2010-07-30 19:11:20

No, Disks spin at a much higher speed than hard drives do. CD/dvd drives use lasers to read their disks, while the hard drive uses an arm thing to read the disks. Hard drives spin at usually either 4200, 5400, or 7200 rpm, except for the super-speedy ones that go at 10000 rpm and costs more money. CD's spin at about twice that speed, and 15000 RPM is 2500 revolutions per second. That's really really fast.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-07-30 19:32:59

thanks. would your computer go faster if your harddrive went faster? is that why there expensive?

2010-07-30 22:14:00

That depends on alot of things. These things include: How fast the processor is, how much ram you have, how fast your data can get to the processor to be delt with, and etc. So there is alot of things that has to be delt with when you are trying to speed up your PC. The speed of your hard drive only comes in to play when your PC is saving to it or loading from it. So the cheepest way of speeding up your computer is to add more ram so that the PC does not have to access the drive as much. Of course this only works to a point. I won't drive you mad with all the details, but let's just say that I gave the basics here.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-07-31 00:52:32

True Cw. in fact it used to be an old dirty trick of venders to sell computers with massive drive space and terrible amounts of ram, and fool people into thinking they were buying a powerful machine.

It's actually a shame about the drive, sinse I now have this wonderful mental image of someone attaching a bike chain to their pc and pedling fast in order to speed up performance, ---- well, it'd be one way of getting rid of the fat computer programmer sterriotype, ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-07-31 01:22:51

lol
that would be kind of funny. that's a really low trick. what's an MHZ prosesser?

2010-07-31 01:34:32

megahertz. The more mhZ, or gHz as it is coming into now, is how fast the processor runs and can do its calculations. Most proccessors today run at between 1 and 3 GHZ, and a ghZ is the same as 1000 mhZ.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-07-31 17:22:27

thanks. how can i find out how good my prossesser is?

2010-07-31 21:19:14

I don't know where this is in vista or windows seven, but look for system on the control pannel. I think the first tab will tell you.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-07-31 23:09:47

i've found it. my computer's cool! by the way how can you check how big a file is on your computer?

2010-08-01 01:00:36

Uses your errow keys to get to the file and press alt plus enter. The enter key is sometimes known as the return key. I really don't know what screen reader you are using, but you need access to its review cursor. The review cursor in jaws is known as the invissable cursor. This is access by pushing the dash key on the numpad twice quickly while numlock is off. In WindowsEye the WE cursor is what it is called. Of the morse key for windoweyes is what the Jaws cursor is in jaws. the jaws cursor is access just by push he dash on the numpad once while numlock is off. Anyway, you need to be able to look over the screen. I'm going to assume you already know how to do this if you found out what your processer was. LOL. guess I don't know how to explain things all that well...

DropBox Referral

2010-08-01 05:07:40

Well Cw, that's a key short cut I didn't know. For size matters, i've always just hit the applications key on a file which brought up the menue then properties, which I indeed do read withb the virtual focus in Hal.

Well, you learn new things every day, ;D.

Size checking is very useful and something I have to do a fair amount when backingstuff up on my external drive or when using my laptop sinse it was built in 2005 and has a comparatively small 32 gb capacity (stil, it works though), and using a backup drive to store extra stuff is fairly symple.

2010-08-01 12:05:03

thanks. i found out the sise of a steptoe and son episode. how many bights is there to a killer bight? i used to know but i've forgot.

2010-08-01 14:13:00

same as grams to a killogram or metres to a killometer, or victims to a killing spree ;D.

one thousand.

2010-08-01 17:16:44

IN windows, one KB is 1024 B., and 1 MB is 1024 KB. You always go up by 1024. Don't ask me why, because I'm not a hundred percent shure of the reason, but I think it is dealing with the bits. So you were close dark. I hate the fact that the TB drive I bought for my PC is only nine hundred and something. I think there is something different between KB and kb, but I will have to go look it up.

DropBox Referral

2010-08-01 18:16:00

that's weard. i've got 142 GB space on my harddrive

2010-08-20 15:31:57 (edited by Ethin 2010-08-20 15:32:36)

My computer has over 1938281637182  MB. Pelieve me! Its fast, to! And it wasn't a trick. Toshiba truly tells you the ram, and they don't tell if its rong or not.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2010-08-20 15:34:02

They put in the hard disk so its fast and they know what the ram is as well.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github