2018-09-21 09:56:59

Hello.
I'd like to study Linux. For this, I chose Debian.
I installed Debian on my old computer, which has 2GB of RAM and a Pentium 4 processor.
When I start the operating system, there is no sound. During the installation I used USB headphones and the sound was off.
When I press Super+Alt+S to launch Orca, I hear silence.
A friend of mine said that after setting the volume to 0%. Another friend of mine said it wasn't true.
Is there a problem? Who can help?
Thanks in advance!

2018-09-22 09:22:16 (edited by magurp244 2018-09-22 09:22:56)

Assuming your talking about regular Debian, you might want to consider a more blind friendly distro, I know a few around here use Arch linux, or perhaps Vinux? You can find a list of accessible distros [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-09-22 12:18:45

magurp244, Why if you have Debian? I could use Ubuntu, but this shit sorry

2018-09-24 12:47:14

@1: After you've set the volume how you like it.... hit alt+f2 and type orca and hit enter

Or grab Ubuntu Mate, that comes with Orca preinstalled and works. Alt+Super+S doesn't, AFAIK anyhow work in Debian, try in Ubuntu Mate.

@Maggerp: Vinux is no longer maintained and it is going EOL next year. I'd suggest something else, Accessible Coconut at cocofrix.com is a way more (as in based on Ubuntu 18.04.1) version of Ubuntu with Mate that's got a ton of acessibility stuff built in and is actually maintained. That list is way, way out of date. There's another list floating around that's even more out of date mind, but Vinux is long, long dead and not maintained, the only people maintaining it are Ubuntu via their updates for 14.04 any more and once those end you're SOL

@1: It's apt-get with apt dash get, all one word.

So f.ex ry this:

sudo apt-get orca

That should install everything.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers