2018-09-19 01:00:22

Hello was wondering is overwatch playable? it's the game of the month next month on humblebundle.

2018-09-19 01:47:14

The obvious answer would be no, because it’s not [accessible] to the blind community. So, no, it’s not.

2018-09-19 03:40:42

Overwatch is not playable, but Eric, keep in mind that there are some mainstream and PC console games that are accessible.

2018-09-19 07:00:27

the answer is NO

2018-09-19 17:33:43

I'm so happy to see these very frank and realistic answers!  big_smile  Every now and then someone asks about a mainstream game and there's post after post of people trying to say it should be accessible with some small tweaks, when in reality there is just no way.  The false hope messes with some people I think, so this was refreshing.

Just think about the number of times people have asked whether Minecraft is playable, lol.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-09-20 14:24:56

I wish.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-09-20 14:35:03

Aprone wrote:

I'm so happy to see these very frank and realistic answers!  big_smile  Every now and then someone asks about a mainstream game and there's post after post of people trying to say it should be accessible with some small tweaks, when in reality there is just no way.  The false hope messes with some people I think, so this was refreshing.

Just think about the number of times people have asked whether Minecraft is playable, lol.

I'm quoting this because, for FPS games I agree with this. I'd have a problem with it if FPS's were the only genres big on consoles/mainstream.

2018-09-20 15:35:03

I wish it was... or that we could get an audio equivalent... not in BGT. lol

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-09-21 05:36:19 (edited by magurp244 2018-09-21 05:49:45)

Actually Jeff Kaplan, OverWatches game director, wanted it to be playable almost exclusively using sound as mentioned in the first two minutes [here] in a GDC talk with the audio design team, it also gets into some of the unique and rather indepth audio identification tricks they use in the game. Of course, that same audio design team consisting of Scott Lawlor and Tomas Neumann made a glib comment on stage of "course we would never be able to do that", which makes me wonder if they know anything about the audio gaming community and the things developers do here, or even your own work Aprone.

Its only ever unrealistic if people don't put forth the effort, look what Karen Steven's has managed to accomplish after all.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-09-21 06:54:46

I'm actually curious now... does Overwatch have any sort of private multiplayer for casual matches against friends? For all we know, maybe the sound is actually good enough for us, if they actually intended to make it immersive, and in smaller games if the option exists.

2018-09-21 07:01:58 (edited by magurp244 2018-09-21 07:02:21)

It has a [Game Browser mode], which allows users to create or find custom games, including setting it to friends or invite only. Menu navigation could be a bit of an issue though.

2018-09-21 07:36:38

That could be a problem, yeah. But now I'm legitimately curious... but I also don't want to buy the game in the likely event that the playing with sound thing is theoretical only, not sure how much it is right now.

2018-09-21 07:54:13

Its 50$ US, although they seem to have periodic free trials and sales, like just back in august between the 23rd to 27th was a trial and 50% off for example.

2018-09-21 11:57:17

It's also important to note that to most mainstream gamers would exclaim "I bet this could be played with sound alone", even if it is in no way accessible.  In the mainstream world our use of sound is somewhat far down the priority list.  One of the most popular games ever made, Minecraft, doesn't adjust sound up or down or even change sounds in the slightest if they are behind 20 feet of solid rock.  No complaints by the players because most will likely never give that much notice.

I point out that example to show how generally clueless the mainstream market is about sound, so if they say something could be playable by only sound, that may just mean it has one of the most basic features you guys have in all audiogames by default.

I've seen Overwatch played, but have not played it myself.  Even if the game's audio would let you aim at enemies (by centering the sound), the game is far too fast paced to let you use that well.  There are also a lot of special tricks/moves/attacks meant to be used in very specific situations that you would not "see".  Then of course there's the whole issue of it being a 3D environment that has no way of being navigated without a laundry list of beacons, radars, and so forth.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-09-21 14:59:35

@aprone minecraft doesn't even have  stereo sounds

2018-09-21 15:38:14

Oh I know, I've seen gameplay videos and I know how fast it can be, which is why I say casual matches at best. But some people can somehow get through games like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil, lol and you wouldn't think on the surface those would be playable at all. Same with Ninja Gaiden 3 maybe to some extent, because at parts there're so many enemies on screen or just a lot that's happening. Although navigation in that game had to be done with the pathfinder and you were always locked on, so maybe not the best example. tongue

2018-09-21 16:15:38

well if someone wants to mess around with overwatch i can get it next month free from humblebundle. for steam and give someone the key. no real loss.

2018-09-22 09:15:58

The mainstream may be clueless, true, but gamers have an appreciation for immersive quality that can at times be accidentally accessible, PR bloviating aside. In the case of minecraft, its built on OpenAL so does actually have 3D audio, even if its poorly implemented. The community though has written mods like the [Sound Physics Mod] and [Sound Filters Mod] that overhaul the sound engine to introduce reverb, occlusion/absorption, and attenuation effects for richer, more immersive audio all on their own. The Sound Physics Mod has a few video's demonstrating it.

With navigating 3D environments, thats not stopped many here from playing them regardless, and i've already given my thoughts on that with my minecraft sonifier prototype, however practical that may or may not be. Bleh, I should put something more concrete together on that.

As for Overwatch, I came across a review by SightlessKombat [here] if anyones interested, though there's no date on it. His assessment was that the diversity of heroes and maps, coupled with their geography and the different ways those heroes move across those maps, made it difficult to choose heroes without knowing what the maps geography was going to be before hand. This is in addition to the fact that the XBox version of the game's menus do not support the Speech API, making it impossible to navigate some menu's without assistance. I can't say if this is still true or the menu layouts have changed, but there's still no mention anywhere of the Speech API in relation to Overwatch.

2018-09-22 23:53:18

Let's also not forget the human element within these types of online competitive shooters.   Sure you can figure out a way to try to navigate a map with favoured characters, but add the human element of people keeping an eye on flanks in hidden positions, using abilities to disrupt your travels, a need for you to switch out of favoured characters to fill certain roles, or just plain sniping you from out of sound range.  Then we have traps that some characters lay about the field like Junkrat or Widowmaker, the fact this is a team shooter and thus synergy with your fellow players is needed, and the fact that if you even give the hint that you are someone that can be fed on for ult charge, the other team will abuse the hell out of that. Overwatch is one of the games where a player that is doing badly is worse than having no player for that slot, as one is rewarded with resources for doing things to opponents or allies.   In short, your attempts at playing Overwatch would just end with people endlessly bitching at you (with far from kind comments) on how you're making them lose.  Also all the ledges which players do use to kill players will not help one's attempts and dodging about.

Unless your capable at playing at the same level as the rest of the people on your team, the only experience you'll be getting from Overwatch is how cruel people can be to each other over voicechat tongue  It's kind of well documented how toxic the community sort of is for a fairly light-hearted shooter.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2018-09-24 12:42:37

moral to the story is, aprone we need an audio version to overwatch, work your magic  lol

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-09-24 14:00:53

Lol!  big_smile  For the longest time I don't even feel like I can juggle my normal life and the projects I'm supposed to be working on, haha!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-09-25 10:38:53

hi. about all fps style games being inaccessible... just gonna put this here, if you were to get a sighted person to help you memorize the series of clicks of a wii controller to set up super smash bros with your prefered settings, then the game is sort of playable with headphones. I would not recommend fighting with sighted people, however, as items make no sound, and the first thing that someone does when they here or see something in a game they want is they think, ooo, i want that, and go pick it up. so, the endless brawl mode is ok though.

2018-09-25 10:40:29

yeah, a game like that would be neet! not like an fps, like you use "heroes", as they are called in overwatch, that have different abilities of more or less feature and different things they do.

2018-09-29 00:54:06

well I suppose undead strike will turn out sorta like overwatch when it comes back in the way that it has charactors, all of whom have different weapons, eventually taunts and other things.