2018-09-20 18:58:08 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-09-22 05:53:27)

Orko once said, THEN deleted his post, as usual:

Have you ever considered that the reason why Freedom Scientific has a limited number of new features to add to JAWS is because it is so feature rich already that finding something really new isn't easy.

hahahaha, best joke of the week yet.
Yeah, I suppose finding, mmm, lets see, something that downloads and plays random audio clips with the use of layered keystrokes based on your mood is not an easy task, but oops, I guess research it has got bumped to the top of the list again because oh look, it just got implemented again in jaws 2025 public beta (released 3 months from now on)
But I would spare you the trouble of explaining yourself..Jaws is a very feature.. rich indeed piece of software. They are so rich they will not need anymore money.

Right, even hot spot clicker was not even developed by them. And do not even bother supporting the person who did them a favor. Do you really think this person gets paid for that? Or at least a commission?
Such a role model of a monopoly organization if you can call it that, this is.
what about mm, supporting new apps? instead of letting some other companies do it for them? what about answering the stupid phone when you call support because you need and rely on their products? you might have seven trillion features and a 25 gb installer, but if your support team does not respond to users then you can be as shiny as you want and no one will keep on buying that crap.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-09-20 22:17:33 (edited by braille0109 2018-09-20 22:25:27)

stop right there guys! like, seriously! JAWS is so feature rich, I mean, just think about it. THAT bullshit known as NVDA had microsoft edge support, as experimental as it was, back in 2016! we had to wait till 2018 in JAWS!  it was so feature rich, they got away without edge support shamelessly for years! they still! don't! have win10 OCR support. in short, JAWS, last I looked, still struggled more on win10 than NVDA. and, the latest change log mentions absolutely no win10 enhancements. I'll be eagre to see the 1809 compatibility, if any.
I'm an NVDA user, that's true. but for good reasons. my college offered me JAWS, in fact, they told me straight up, they never heard anyone else, who prefers NVDA over JAWS, besides myself. the fact is, I rejected it, and I have for good reasons, just look at the latest change log.
as for mat, I can't make out whether his post should be taken seriously, or whether that was a nice way of putting sarcasm.
as for NVDA users protecting their beloved NVDA, not true. not true at all. anyone remembers a few months ago, when NVDA bought nothing new to the table, and JAWS kept going? I was literally afraid that this would be the end of it all. but it looks like the table got flipped back rather soon once again. there were like 4 or so JAWS updates in like 5 weeks, while the NVDA update bought nothing new to the table. and the tab key thing. I only see a what's new, not an enhancements feature list, but I'd be glad to take a look at it again.
PS. I also remember NVDA having one core TTS support, as well as skype UP, and skype 8 support miles before JAWS got there. the fact is, if JAWS wants to stay in the competition, along with narrator and NVDA, FS really needs to change things, mainly the way updates come, and their features, oh, and their prices. I'd be one of the first to bite on JAWS, if it was a bit more friendly. there are things, that, well, are  quite a struggle with NVDA, as all we more or less have is objNav.
PPS. narrator change log, anyone?

2018-09-21 03:11:48 (edited by defender 2018-09-21 03:14:35)

Orko  if you ever really appreciated JAWS, than you'd be just as upset by how far it's fallen in the last couple years.
Plus, we don't all have as much money as you, so yeah, for some people this is really, really not worth paying for, and if you tried to put your self in their shoes you might have some sympathy for that... Considering that the employment rate for blind people, last time I heard, is around 30% in the US, and if your not in school still your cut off from allot of funding, Particularly in rural areas.
And if all you took from this thread was that people are just bashing on FS again, than you need to do some more reading. Any time it looked like that was happening, people jumped in and defended what JAWS used to be, or tried to redirect to more constructive criticisms. It's not just NVDA users who are upset by this, and many of the points made here are about VFO's track record in general, rather than FS JAWS as a product.
Even the first post is pretty objective... So I don't see why you can't just filter out the obviously bias statements from some people, just like most of us managed to do.
Or would you prefer that everything be perfectly aligned with your personal views, otherwise you believe it's not worth listening to? Because yeah that's, not how the real world works... And a 22 year old shouldn't be having to explain that to a 60+ year old in the first place...
Unless you can actually defend this company's multi faceted business practices with some counter arguments of your own... Than why say anything at all.
Well, at least you didn't turn coward and delete your post again... So that's an upgrade I suppose...

2018-09-21 03:59:45

I was being very sarcastic, don't worry. My brand of sarcasm doesn't always come across well over text.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-09-21 11:24:47

No worries, I thought that's what it is as I say such things often, just wanted to make sure.

2018-09-21 12:35:47 (edited by flackers 2018-09-21 12:40:08)

They should just switch to a subscription system, then there wouldn't be any need for the facade of appearing to release an entirely new version every year. They could just focus on keeping the product current, and announce any innovations as and when. It would be much more affordable for most people as it's the initial massive outlay that's the problem. For those who prefer NVDA and think it has better features overall, then jaws is over-priced at any cost, but I don't know why they should care. There's a ton of stuff out there for sale that most of us don't want or need, if we all complained about it all, we'd never have time to do anything else. This topic was started to let people know about the beta release of jaws 2019. As well as discussing whether the changes are working as they should, discussing whether this release is feature--rich enough to constitute a new version is I think a valid direction. We should really have kept NVDA out of it altogether because it always descends to some degree in a my-dad's-bigger-than-your-dad cock waving contest, and no one ever comes out of those looking good. They may both be screen readers, but they're very different ventures. One has to maintain a salaried staff, and stay afloat in the world of free market commerce, and the other is a collective effort to make a good screen reader available to all. The only way a jaws vs NVDA discussion could ever be truly valid is if both were either commercial or free.

2018-09-21 13:25:24

For those who are complaining about the price of upgrading, try this on for size.

Our records show that you are licensed for release 15 of JAWS Single User, and require an upgrade to release 2019 before you can renew your SMA. You are eligible to upgrade to release 2019 and purchase an SMA for $750. If you prefer an upgrade only, the cost would be $550.

I am using the pro version of JAWS 2015. To me, it does seem like they are going down hill per say. Features this year so far is not much. Need to see if I can pull a guilt trip on them, but that is beside the point. Plus I need to check in on NVDA again to see how far it is now.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-09-21 13:28:45 (edited by braille0109 2018-09-21 13:29:45)

if JAWS went subscription based, and you could opt out when and if you wanted to, and just pay for whatever the current version is, I'd go for it. around £10 per month is reasonable, and more or less everyone should be able to afford that. then there wouldn't be users losing out on the SMA, having to pay over 800 dollars just to renew. it would also make the competition interesting, since that's roughly what people generally contribute to NVDA as well.
although, interesting to see how upgrading from 18, and 15, pro and home respectively, more or less costs the same. in other words, you don't pay for 16 and 17, in the case of 15. that's nice to see.

2018-09-21 14:13:45

My best guess on the upgrade price is that they are not crazy enough to let the upgrade price equal the price of a new copy of jaws. If they did, they may receive a lot of outcry, I would think. The price of a new copy of JAWS is around $1000 or so. To me, the price of JAWS is one major down side to it. I guess I can try calling them up and seeing if they can bring the price down to a more reasonable price for someone that has to live off of a $750 check per month at this time. If they will not, there is NVDA. Yes, I am questioning the worth of it. Yes, JAWS has uses, but when money is tyte...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-09-21 14:35:09

I don't get what's wrong with telling people how shitty FS / VFO is. I'd kinda be pissed if I bought a big ticket item, like a TV, it broke, and then to realize they're customer service is pretty much non-existent. I don't see people bashing, but it's funny how the JAWS people are so hardcore, die hard fans that even the slightest thing said against their beloved product gets them all worked up into a tizzy. I don't have a problem telling people about the negative aspects of NVDA, so I don't get why the JAWS people make it such an issue. Actually I have a theory though. My theory being that I think they feel at some level as if they have been ripped off, but its a subconscious thing, and they're not ready to admit it to themselves, so they become really defensive to mask the fact that they don't want anyone to know they've been basically raked over the coals by FS.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-21 15:25:54

I'd be pissed if I bought a big ticket item, it broke, and I then found their customer service is non-existent. So would I, but my copy of jaws is working, and sight and sound (the UK distributor) has very good technical support. Like with anything, there are bugs that need addressing, but saying it's broke is just a simplistic exaggeration for the sole purpose of bashing something.
When I first learned to use jaws, NVDA didn't exist. When I bought it in 2007, NVDA hadn't been out long, so I wasn't  aware of it, and if I had been , I doubt it'd have been as good as it is today. once you've paid the outrageous rip-off initial price that no one's denying needs revising, the on-going cost of jaws is 6 quid a month. I continue to pay this reasonable price because the script manager is terrific, I like the intuitive way the jaws cursor works, the OCR features are really good, and I'm just use to it, so there's nothing motivating me to abandon it in favour of exclusively using NVDA. NVDA's free: I don't have to stop paying for jaws to take advantage of it in areas where it performs better than jaws. I can have the best of both worlds.

2018-09-21 21:02:06 (edited by defender 2018-09-22 05:27:55)

I retract my statement from post 54, now 53... About Orko having improved by not cowardly deleting his posts... As you'll notice it's now gone. ROFL

2018-09-21 21:05:37

This should surprise nobody. It's his MO, after all.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-09-21 21:24:27

Thanks a lot for messing up our conversations like that.

2018-09-21 22:45:18

they are bringing out a subscription for jaws but I am interested to know how that will work. i'll bet it will be more expensive outside the US because it always is, but if you have bought a full version then go subscription based instead of paying for an SMA, will they charge the same as somebody just getting it who's never bought it before?

just to show the price difference: I was staying in America with my girlfriend as was, about 8 years ago. I realised my SMA was due for renewal so I called the good folks at freedom scientific. renewal was 125 bucks. then when they took my details they refused to sell it to me because it had been bought from sight and sound in England and I had to buy the SMA from them. I could get no logical reason why this was the case and in the end gave up arguing. so I called sight and sound. it cost me £180. which with the exchange rate the way it was at the time, was nearly 300 bucks.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-09-22 00:28:57

Classic case of rip-off Britain. I also wondered how the subscription might work. It seems a bit unfair that people who've already shelled out a shit-ton of cash, should pay the same as people who've just come on board. I guess if that's the case we'll just have to suck it up for the greater good. I fully support a move towards making jaws more affordable for everyone, so I'll take one for the team smile.

2018-09-22 00:57:29

oh i'll probably get on board with a subscription depending on what they charge. 10 quid a month would still be a rip off but it won't hurt any.
they have said it will only be available in the US when they start it though.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-09-22 05:10:26

Lol that guy needs a serious ass kicking.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-22 05:47:20 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-09-22 05:48:14)

Hand in the fire this time! (from me) and sorry for the off topic digression
but its happened too much already, it deserves some attention, I think we all are, or should be, grown ups, but apparently not.
so well, hahahaha, deleted posts again, from the mighty unequivocally orko. Alas, I copied and pasted something I found funny and I believe that there is enough context to let THIS one shine through, so no worries, people will still understand that you posted something you didn't quite know how to phrase, then did not have any good, solid counter arguments to what you said and finally pretended as if nothing would have happened.
Not really sure if this is really to avoid embarrassment (because it has happened before) or just that you totally and reluctantly gave up on the conversation because your comment probably was not as constructive as it could probably have been and instead of publicly resigning (which honestly would have appeared and would have even been a more polite and much better gesture) decided to just puff, arrogantly disappear (so, heh, not really an upgrade I might add). But anyway, matter, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-09-22 06:27:12

Firstly:
Orko, either say something or don't. Deleting something because your scared of the discussion that follows is a pretty stupid thing to do. You're only wasting your time and making yourself look even more stupid than you already do normally.
With that out of the way, yeah I'd actually be among those who would be happy to pay for Jaws if VFO went with a more subscription based model. I've never understood this mentality of hating one reader over the other. At worst you're limiting yourself. If I really, really wanted to, I could go out and buy Jaws right now, but I don't need it badly enough to tell VFO that I'm totally fine with them charging insane amounts for their product. One feature I'm actually a huge fan of is their skim reading feature that they've had around since Jaws 6. I wish I could speak for newer versions of Jaws (I've heard their touch screen support seems to be better too?) but until I can justify a reason to buy it, NVDA it is.
I'm sure NVDA is hurting them and has been for some time. It's the people in countries that aren't so well off that are feeling NVDA is their answer. The important thing people need to start doing is telling VFO that we *want!* better answers. If this means not buying any of their products, then so be it. It's really no different to something like the iPhone. Every year people bitch to Apple about it's price, then turn around 2 minutes later and buy it. If I knew you were going to willingly pay 2000 dollars for my product, I'd be charging that until you told me otherwise. It's reasons like this that I've chosen to be on team Android. I'm personally happy with paying 600 bucks for a phone that so far has done everything just fine for me, with the hopes that other people are too. As much as I talk about the people who keep complaining about a price tag, I think more and more people are slowly beginning to realise what we're doing to ourselves. You are the market. I am the market. Lets try and remember this.

2018-09-22 08:41:06

I believe you can call them and ask about the home use program as well. That's all I know about it though.

2018-09-22 10:46:15

I must mention this. I saw someone hear said that people on i7's don't get any lag with nvda. We do. At least i do. My CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Actually it doesn't lag unless something crashes, Or it also lags or even completely fails at tracking folder items when i play a sound file and exit the player with ALT+f4. While it's annoying I still prefer nvda over jaws. First it's free with all these features, Second it has addons, and you are free to write anything you like with it. You can even code audio games as an add-on for nvda. So it's really my piece of cake. oh BTW not to forget quick and free updates with awesome features in each update which might be more than a jaws upgrade, And these quick updates make nvda more friendly to recent technology, Such as fast-updating mozilla firefox, windows10's new features, etc etc.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-09-22 12:55:34

hi,
Remember that not all I7s are created equal. The U series is one of the more underpowered versions, which until recently had 2 cores, while the M, now, H series, had 4 cores. The U now has 4 cores, while the H has 6.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-09-22 18:13:35

yesterday, while copying files, my NVDA lagged out so bad, not even alt-control-n worked. bringing up JAWS, however, did. using an AMD 9700p over here, but shouldn't make a difference. on the other hand, I'm getting no lag with NVDA, using an intel celeron on win8.1. there really is no other solution other than staying away from win10, due to the UI issue...

2018-09-22 19:00:23

Wow... deletion, again? Seriously...
This forum needs a gamefaqs style thing where it keeps the post numbering intact, but shows a "This post was deleted" thing.
But anyway, chiming in on the discussion.
I've never actually had NVDA lag at all, win 10 on an intel I5 6200U here. The only time I have any problems at all are when something breaks.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.