2018-09-19 15:05:38

Dear audio game fellows,

I’m a design student specializing in the design of audio games. I have been doing this for three years now, and currently my focus is on the players’ game experience: Why do people play audio games? What is the motivation behind that? What features do audio gamers enjoy or not? And so on …

So if you play audio games, I would like to invite you to participate in one of my studies as participant. Indeed, you would do me a great favor, should you participate smile. Everything you say in this interview will be processed anonymously and is used for scientific work about the design of audio games, only. Usually these interviews take a maximum of one hour, but you can hang up the phone or Skype or what ever communication medium you prefer at any time, should you feel uncomfortable with the conversation smile. However, this never happened to me before and is not very likely to ever happen.

So, if you like to engage in a short fun conversation about the philosophy of audio gaming, I would be excited hearing from you. There are some small requirements for participation:

*) You regularly play audio games
*) You are equal or older than 21 years old
*) Your date of registration was not yesterday :-)
*) It’s okay for you that the interview gets recorded
*) You agree that I’ll come back to you at a later point in time so we can briefly discuss the theories I develop based on your interview :-)

If there are more applications than people required, I have to do some sort of pre-selection. So if you are interested in participating, just pm me and briefly write who you are, how long you have been playing audio games and what you like and dislike at them. With that information, I can get an idea of who you are and if you’re a possible participant.

Since I know that time is a precious thing, I want to offer some compensation. Unfortunately, I have to pay this from my own pocket; therefore, the amount is quite limited. However, I talked to user Dark who brought up a good idea: I could buy you an audio game you like up to a max. value of 20 USD; if you like. 

If you have any questions, be it questions regarding the study or questions, where you think that the answer might be of interest to the rest of the community, just leave me a reply. Otherwise, you are welcome to write me who you are, how long you have been playing audio games and what you like and dislike at them as pm. :-)

I kindly thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Michael

2018-09-19 15:29:06

Hi.
interesting little project, i just dropped you a private message.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-09-19 15:38:41

well im below 21  but just wanted to tell you the answer to why we play audio games, the same reason as you play mainstream games

2018-09-19 16:36:40

hello. I am very interested, however, I am not 21 yet. and my english is not perfect either, in my opinion. I can send you a pm should you want me to be interviewed

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2018-09-19 17:44:12

Well, I want to do the interview with you, I sent you a pm.
smile

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-09-19 17:52:22

Lol, must be a dangerous interview if you must be the right age to drink alcohol! Jokes aside, I actually can’t participate yet because I’m not 21. Still, I hope you get valuable information from those who take part.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-09-19 18:18:20

Antx, was there a different community you were a member of before this one?  3 years is a long time.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-09-19 19:20:31

I really want to know, why is the age limit 21 or over? Eighteen or over I could understand, but 21? It just seems kind of weird to me.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-09-19 20:52:35

I just sent you a private message.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2018-09-20 07:44:17

pm sent.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-09-21 02:38:24 (edited by defender 2018-09-21 16:46:53)

Woops? I kinda missed the part where he said they wanted a (brief) message... and sent a typically massive Defender (TM) wall of text...
Welp, at least it'll be interesting?

2018-09-21 05:03:28

Hello folks! Antx, I just sent you a private message.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2018-09-21 09:56:55

Hey,

first things first: thanks for the overwhelming interest in my study. My inbox is almost full smile I'll go through the "applications" at the weekend and message you back.

Regarding the age: I had to make a cut somewhere to be sure that the participants have enough experience and knowledge of what is available. But as some responses show, I think it is a topic to discuss. The other option would have been the minimum age of 18. It is also the first time I recruite participants in this way, so we can discuss that in pm if you want to. If someone felt offended by that, I'm sorry.

@6: no danger involved ... I guess :-)

@7: no, I wasn't. Since it is for my PhD, these years also include classical PhD work, e.g. finding a topic, reviewing literature, go to conferences, do teaching smile [and teaching honestly sometimes is a time stealer]

2018-09-21 16:53:41 (edited by defender 2018-09-21 16:57:23)

Hey Michael, I know I said that between 4 and 8 PM would be best, but I'm available earlier today as well.
Which region of the world do you live in, anyway? Just curious, then maybe I can make some extra time for the interview when you'll be awake, if where ever you are is super late at 4 to 8 P.M. PST LOL.
And yes, I think 18 minimum age would be a great idea, Since (at least in my experience) it's generally pretty easy to tell if someone is mature enough to hold a useful conversation just by how they write in their introductory message.
Our community is primarily made up of young people between the ages of 14 and 25 from what I've seen, so the lower you can go the better.

2018-09-22 19:04:12

Not to sound impatient, but has anyone seen the private message I sent?

2018-09-23 17:12:41

Yeah same, I'm curious about when the interviews are supposed to happen. I never really saw a date range so I'm wondering if it's going to be like three months from now and I'm getting worked up for nothing LOL.

2018-09-24 11:25:22 (edited by antx 2018-09-24 11:31:47)

Hey,

I'm going to message all of you today and personalized. Don't worry smile

EDIT: Personalized since some of you wrote very long applications that imo deserve a good response. smile

2018-09-24 11:33:02

Oh I see, no problem, thanks!

2018-09-24 21:04:48 (edited by defender 2018-09-25 02:59:35)

Got your PM AntX, thanks!
I'm available earlier today as well if you are... from now 12-05 P.M. PST till about 6-00 P.M.

2018-09-24 22:09:06

It's funny because "I'm available earlier today" could be taken as implying access to time-travel, which could probably be used to awesome effect in Audio Games, I suppose. wink

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-09-25 01:06:27

I sent a pm, thanks

2018-09-25 14:41:52

I wrote you a response, I did it in the morning, but my phone turned off randomly, so I had no hotspot to say it here.
I say it here because you know, noone can see how much pm they have.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!